I hate antichrist meme template.

two people wearing helmets with logos of big corporations are raiding a house. The text below them reads, “we’ve got you surrounded, use our dis-services”.

the person whose house is being raided is hiding, holding a gun with logos of GNU, Linux, Lineageos, Firefox, and Lemmy. The text above him says, “I hate corporations, I hate crony-capitalism.”

• @Minotaur@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Everything about Lemmy makes more sense when you realize it’s user base is 95% people with good intentions and absolutely no fucking clue what they’re talking about or how life works outside of computers

• Your problem, as a filthy lib, is that you don’t see dying in a shootout with the feds and/or Pinkertons as the most American thing you can do.

You merely need to change your perspective to the correct one of getting your guns back from going far enough left.

• @MotoAsh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      22 months ago

I’m not even sure what the message is. FOSS has never been more attractive or easy to use (on the large scale at least, never mind the weirdos freaking over xz). There’s FOSS for most everything, in some cases better than most paid options.

Corpos gunning for FOSS? That’s always been here.

• Techranger
        link
        fedilink
        172 months ago

They’re gunning for the user, whom they wish to exploit. The user clings to FLOSS alternatives in an attempt to avoid having their data harvested, analyzed, weaponized, and leveraged against the user for profit.

• @lemmesayOP
      link
      42 months ago

yes, though if you can’t wait for lineageos to be available for you device, you can flash a GSI

• @OpenStars@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      42 months ago

There really has been nothing even close to it since. I hoped OnePlus would at least be a fairly clean flagship killer, but then the cofounder left it enshittified so bad. The Nexus was the BEST!

• @lemmesayOP
      link
      42 months ago

thanks! it’s a result of many a personal experience. :p

• PatFusty
    link
    fedilink
    32 months ago

I know this is a funny haha but NGL I’d rather have this bleak future than revert back to 1997 with FOSS alternatives.

• @nxdefiant@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      82 months ago

1997 FOSS was hard mode, absolutely, but compared to the paid alternatives at the time, it was only mildly worse than today.

I will not be removing my rose colored glasses and will take no questions, thank you for your time.

• snownyte
    link
    fedilink
    12 months ago

Firefox has been doing some of it’s own shady things itself that makes me double-guess their existence. Let’s stop putting them on the podium of perfection, now.

And why the hell is there a communist russia symbol at the other end of the rifle?

See, if you want to make a message, make it clear and make it non-contradicting. It’s not even funny. Weak meme.

• @Axiochus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    -42 months ago

Hmmm, I’m increasingly wary of FOSS software as well. It’s part of the system and can be bought up. Not sure about the alternatives to it, though. I guess highly technical people with lots of free time can just self-host and compile, but that’s a minority.

• lemmyreader
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Hmmm, I’m increasingly wary of FOSS software as well.

Depends on the license a project uses. GPL should be fine to prevent corporate exploitation.

https://sfconservancy.org/news/2022/may/16/vizio-remand-win/

The Software Freedom Conservancy lawsuit alleges that Vizio’s TV products, built on its SmartCast system, contain software that Vizio unfairly appropriated from a community of developers who intended consumers to have very specific rights to modify, improve, share, and reinstall modified versions of the software.

According to the lawsuit, a consumer of a product such as this has the right to access the source code so that it can be modified, studied, and redistributed (under the appropriate license conditions).

• @umbrella@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      2 months ago

we just really need a handful of highly technical people with free time to host lemmy for all of us :)

its okay if they are a minority, we can all benefit