I don’t think I’ve seen one of these threads in a minute, so why not? shrug-outta-hecks

Here’s what I’ve had going on -

Completed:

Good:

Giant Robo: the Day the Earth Stood Still - Great OVA! I’d recommend this to anyone who enjoys G Gundam since the first few episodes of this essentially helped Imagawa get the job as the first non-Tomino TV Gundam showrunner. From what I know, they didn’t license the actual stories from the manga, so Imagawa and crew made shit up whole cloth and use characters from miscellaneous Yokoyama manga. It gives it this really manic energy when guys with random super powers and Romance of the Three Kingdoms characters are all fighting each other like a kid playing with a box of their parents old toys. Very light on actual robot fights, but the animation is gorgeous.

Getter Robo: Armageddon - More 90s super robots. I didn’t like it as much as Giant Robo, but this goes pretty hard and was enjoyably edgy as fuck.

Rose of Versailles - Delightful 70s classic. It has me wanting to watch more Dezaki stuff - maybe Space Adventure Cobra will work its way in soon.

OK:

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Season 2 - Wasn’t bad, but it just didn’t have enough to interest me.

.hack//Sign - This was a favorite of mine back in the old days. It’s good for an advertisement/prelude for the PS2 games, but I don’t think I would recommend it otherwise. I also watched the Intermezzo and Unison OVAs - they’re eh.

Kill La Kill - I watched this on a whim after watching Cutie Honey (1973). It’s not bad, it’s just not really my thing.

Musha Knight Commando: SD Gundam Scramble - Probably cool if you were like 10 in Japan in the early 90s. vivian-shrug

Bad:

Cross Ange - Please check CWs before considering this, but wow is this an interesting train wreck of a show.

Ongoing:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 30/110 so far. Still liking it a lot, but I’m just slowly working my way through this one. I couldn’t imagine binging through it.

• CriticalOtaku [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

GOATED:

Dungeon Meshi - monumental feat of imaginative worldbuilding, on par with LotR or Dune.

Ok:

Frieren- I think we’ve talked about this show on here enough already. It’s a mixed bag.

Apothecary Diaries- It’s neat. Having the plot twist be that the literal personification of patriarchy actually be a victim of patriarchy was a choice, although I’m not sure how successful of a story beat it was as presented.

Bad:

Granblue Fantasy- I started watching it because of the game, but it’s literally the middest of mid shows. S1 is at least kinda interesting for having all these baroque, incredibly hard to animate over-the-top over-designed JRPG character designs, that the animators somehow heroically tried to animate beautiful fight scenes for, but the story is mid as hell and then S2 simplifies all the designs and they just straight give up on trying to tell a story, so bleh.

• BynarsAreOk [none/use name]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

GBF was one of the biggest disappointments ever, it had potential, if you are at all familiar with the franchise it got some people from Final Fantasy working on the GBF game, the gacha game story wasn’t even that bad once you get past the early stuff.

But the problem is GBF is a gacha game primarily, and it had a lot of fan favorite characters, its ridiculously bloated for a gacha. But imo in particular just the Eternals they’re one of the best designed characters I’ve seen anywhere, also in terms of personality too, and also top notch VAs etc…

But you see what stupid Japanese incompetent company decides to double down on? The most bland main cast ever created. Also litealy half the appeal of the MCs in the gacha game is the fact they can transform into all these different classes and they wear all these different outfits etc but nah, not even that.

The gacha game is slave labor simulator 2014 but Cavalier, Gunslinger, Luchador, Glorybringer, Runeslayer… what could have been.

• CriticalOtaku [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 months ago

Ah, should have made it clear that the game I was talking about was Relink, not the Gacha (Ever since Fate Grand Order I’ve bounced off hard on all gacha). Relink won me over with how sincere of a “JRPG where we go kill God with the Power of Friendship” deal it was, even if the story itself was kinda tropey, so I wanted to learn more.

But apparently all the really kino stuff like Biblically Accurate Twinks screaming John Milton at each other while there’s more lasers, explosions and J-rock going off in the the background than an X Japan concert never got covered in the anime. Instead we get swimsuit OVA. deeper-sadness

• BynarsAreOk [none/use name]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          3 months ago

If you are intereted in an actual above average/good GBF “multiverse” anime maybe you’ve heard of Rage of Bahamut Genesis. Favaro is a gigachad nuff said. Its good because it was before Cygames got big and ambitions drinking their own koolaid. Some people don’t like Virgin Soul, I thought it was fine too, but I recommend the original S1 first and foremost.

I quit GBF a long time ago now in early 2020, at that time the game was already dying. Cygames was the typical xenophobic shit pandering to 2ch, in 2019 or so they mass banned foreigners because of browser plugins, just QOL stuff realy, but the Japanese couldn’t or wouldn’t make or use their own QOL so they cried etc.

The Chinese gachas(Arknights and Mihoyo) completely destroyed the competition at that point too.

The GBF anime was entirely made to promote the gacha game and it followed that story, if you’re disappointment with the anime its sadly because as I said the franchise had potential. When the anime was made in 2017-8 the story was in a decent place, all they had to do was skip pretty much the entire early stuff and ignore the main 5. Yet they did the opposite.

The gacha game had some very good even stories too, specifically I think the What Makes The Sky Blue series, that first event was the 3rd anniversary in 2017 the same year as the anime. Sandalphon is probably the most popular male these days and that was his debut.

I can tell you Cygames is incredibly incompetent, apparently Seofon, Twen and Sandalphon are DLC characters for Relink, I don’t have or played that game but, Seofon and Twen are part of the Eternals I mentioned. Too little too late but I guess it will be good for new people into the franchise.

GBF could have been the next Fate. That is how anticipated and how much good material they had to work with. Maybe not the first season but certainly the second season. The next Fate will definitely be Genshin when that anime comes.

• heartheartbreak [fae/faer]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Dungeon meshi is pretty enjoyable looking forward to the story continuing

Frieren was also pretty good although it peters off towards the end

Started metallic rouge but fell off. Conceptually it should be up my alley with a female centered cyberpunk / sailor senshi hybrid thing going on, but the plot really feels like it’s gonna head towards liberalism and I’m not looking forward to it.

• heartheartbreak [fae/faer]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

We need like a hexbear rec list that takes into account like how reactionary/liberal the work is etc. cuz I don’t trust any anime communities to not be awful/blind about politics

• Gosplan14_the_Third [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I don’t think I’ve seen one of these threads in a minute

Damn, I’ve been neglecting c/anime. I was the one who’s been doing those in the past 😔

So here’s a few I’m far enough in to comment.

Completed:

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun (2014, Rewatch)

Still great, one of the funniest shows around with great and very foolish characters. This rewatch made me actually read the Manga, and it’s also very good and entertaining. Unfortunately, it’s still incomplete and very slow. Who knew? Girls’ Monthly Nozaki-Kun is a monthly series.

Ongoing:

Dragon Ball (1986, 102/153 episodes)

Going through the original Dragon Ball, you’re gonna get a very consistent quality good Shounen, and really, it’s good enough for me. Especially since even master Roshi calmed down on the horny bullshit by now. Unhinged Gun Lady my beloved.

Nichijou (2011, 23/26)

Not as good as Azumanga Daioh, but it’s still excellent and you WILL fall in love (platonically) with characters like Yukko or Nano. And of course everything about the show screams high effort. I wonder what Azumanga would have been like if late 2000s KyoAni was the company tasked with making it instead of J. C. Staff (not like that version is bad - the opposite in fact)

• LaGG_3 [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Damn, I’ve been neglecting c/anime. I was the one who’s been doing those in the past 😔

Life happens and you sometimes get too busy to post - it’s all good! Clearly quite a few people also missed your list posts.

Dragon Ball (1986, 102/153 episodes)

This is such a an exciting place for this show, too. Right at the end of the Budokai Tenkaichi/Tienshinhan storyline and getting into the Piccolo storylines. I feel like this is right where the show starts feeling like DBZ.

• Infamousblt [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Despite all the suggestions earlier not to watch Fate, my partner saw it on a “list of strong female characters in anime” list and wanted to so we’re doing that. It’s fine. Can’t complain but it’s not earth shattering. It’s enjoyable enough.

I still have to watch the last episode of Mashle s2. Honestly loving this dumbass show.

Otherwise I feel like I’m hitting a wall of “I’ve seen everything I’d enjoy” so it’s getting tough to find new things

• thelastaxolotl [he/him]@hexbear.netM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I have been watching Monster and Dungeon Meshi, i try to watch monster last year but i had to focus on my classes that semester so i dropped it and right now im in episode 11 its pretty good i like dr tenma and i want to see whats going on with Johan, Dungeon Meshi i only started it because when it was comming out it had a latam dub so i though why not watch it and i really like it i also started the manga and i have already finished the first 3 volumes

• iridaniotter [she/her, they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Dungeon Meshi and Metallic Rouge. First cour of Dungeon Meshi just ended (I think? But there’s no break between it and the next so does that count?) and I liked it. Actually the first couple episodes I wasn’t so sure about it, but I got hooked after that. As for Metallic Rouge, I watched the latest 12 episodes within the past couple days, and that’s definitely the way to go. If I watched it weekly I’d probably be pretty confused lol. I’m going to have a lot to say about it and will probably make a post the next few days after the finale releases tomorrow. But here are my current thoughts that I posted on Mastodon. #ImWithJill #DownWithTheProtag akkommunism

• Cromalin [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

what a coincidence, i also just finished rose of versailles and gundam 00!

i liked rose of versailles, but i didn’t love it. the next dezaki i watch is probably going to be oniisama e because i need more drama than oscar was providing. really disappointed in 00, honestly the fall from the early episodes was massive enough that i really dreaded watching the last few episodes and the movie (which i also didn’t like)

i also watched the patlabor early days ova. pretty fun, nothing incredible but a solid way to spend 7 episodes

e: also watching dungeon meshi so i know what’s been covered and can talk about it without spoiling my friends, but that’s not the same

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

I kept telling myself that I’d read Romance of the Three Kingdoms before GGP does SD Sangokuden, but uhhh, I’ve read the first few chapters like 5 times and I have like 2 months for them to finish Unicorn lol.

The best part of 00 was the goofy in-universe movie parody in A Wakening. Just barely aware of what it spent the last however many episodes doing lol.

Patlabor Early Days

That Godzilla parody episode is a classic. If you haven’t watched the movies, 1 is the fun one, 2 is the Metal Gear Solid cutscene movie, and WXIII is a monster movie in the Patlabor setting. Patlabor TV and the New Files OVA are perpetually on my “need to watch this” list lol.

• Cromalin [she/her]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

the best part of 00 is the 1 second trans am. and the first hour of the movie was really good! it brings up a bunch of ideas i like and find interesting! but then the second half either ignores them all or deals with them in ways i find completely unsatisfying. that’s the gundam 00 promise i suppose

i haven’t watched the patlabor movies, i need to watch more g gundam but it’s still such a slog. gonna watch more tonight while doing gunpla and just start skipping episodes if nothing interesting seems to be going on because i cannot be assed to care

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

That’s too true for 00 - following in the tradition of Gundam Wing. Too bad AWotT wasn’t as fun as Endless Waltz.

How far are you in G Gundam? Guyana highlands training arc lol? If you’re not enjoying it, you can probably just put the dub on and only watch when Mark Gatha (it’s so funny to see the anime fanart he has on his doctor website) starts screaming something goofy.

• barrbaric [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

The Patlabor OVA just having one episode where they meet the missing link/godzilla and another where they get reverse double scooby-doo’d right before the finale which is about an incredibly grounded political coup was such amazing tonal whiplash.

• Erika3sis [she/her, xe/xem]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Alone anime are Stardust Telepath and Futari wa Pretty Cure, and I might continue ID: Invaded eventually but who knows. I’ve really been enjoying Stardust Telepath, many of the characters give autistic energy.

Anime w/ mom are Asobi Asobase, Library War, and Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water. I feel like I should mention that Asobi Asobase has some crude and problematic content.

Anime w/ the whole family are Lupin III Part 2 and Samurai Champloo, but it’s been a while since we watched the latter.