• Lauchmelder@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    Deutsch
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

Wait just so I understand this correctly: these 142 people combined are wealthier than all but two countries on this planet? that’s insane

• TaTTe@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

In that case they’d on average have 100B each, doesn’t sound like “new billionaires” to me. Either way, I’m sure these 142 people work harder/have more influence combined than all but two entire countries in this world. /s

• Webster@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Wealth and GDP are measuring different things, even though both are measured in dollars. It’s a bit of a weird comparison for that reason, but still shows ridiculous levels of inequality.

Wealth is how much money you have right now. GDP is how much value the country generates in a given year.

So wealth is kinda like how much you have in the bank, while GDP is closer to how much money is changing hands in a country over a given year. There’s a common joke about GDP - if two people paid each other $100 to eat a pile of shit, GDP went up $200 even though no real value was generated. In this example, neither of their wealth changed.

• Nakedmole@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Guillotines are surprisingly easy to build ;)

Seriously, nobody should be that rich, the money will be missing somewhere else, causing mass poverty. Expropriation would be the best way to deal with this financial imbalance imo.

• Worx@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

If I became a billionaire I’d be poor again in a couple of months. And the only reason it would take that long is because there’s only so many worthy projects near me that I could fund, then I’d have to start doing research on where to give away the rest of the money. Even if you got rich ethically (which you didn’t), you’d never keep that money if you have eyes and a heart.

EDIT: although, having said that, I’m underestimating what a disgustingly large amount of money a billion is. I expect it would take longer to spend it than just a few months. But the point is: how selfish do you have to be to be a billionaire with so much injustice in the world?

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

To the edit-

I’m reminded of something I read/saw/heard somewhere-

y’known the difference between a million and a billion? About a billion

• PsychedSy@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

I’d split it. Fund my friends and family to start businesses, fund a bunch of other peeps to start their own shit, then work on some research.

Also, it’d be fun to have a non-profit that only goes to bat for tenants in eviction/deposit/housing disputes.

• Worx@lemmynsfw.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

That’s where my thought process started. Buy a house for myself and two family members. Buy a new premises for my friend’s business so he doesn’t have to worry about rent and can keep providing a much-needed service for our community. Ditto for where I volunteer. Solar panels for the house.

Ok, that’s the first 3 million gone… new radiator for my car, bunch of stuff for my hobbies, set up a bus route past my house to replace the one that was cancelled years ago, fund mental health service by me for a few years.

That’s another maybe 5 million gone and several new people employed. Still 992 million left. This is getting tricky. Buy 50 holiday homes and turn them into low- or no-cost rentals to help struggling people. 10 million to this rewilding charity that I like. 10 million to the science museum in London that I like. 10 million in my bank, just in case. 1 million to everyone that I like, why not?

Let’s say that another 70 million gone, still haven’t even got 10% of the way there. Give 5,000 to everyone in my local town - I’m sure they’ll enjoy it. That’s 100million gone. Now we’re getting somewhere. Buy the bus company by me and run all their services twice as often and for free. I hear the local university might be in trouble, let’s throw 10million to them. Overhaul the local planning department because they suck. Let’s employ three times as many people so they can actually do their job. Fund training for like 200 extra nurses and doctors from my local area provided they work for the NHS for a couple of years after.

That’s got to be halfway by now, right? Maybe? Fuck, a billion [currency] is just so much money…

• GladiusB@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

If you could even rationalize that it’s selfish, you don’t even have the temperament to become one. These people have zero realization that they have more than enough or they would have done something to help.

• Etterra@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Now tell us again about how nobody can afford to fix the homelessness problem or pay for public healthcare or fund UBI…

• ivanafterall@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

Choose me as your next billionaire and I promise I’ll go to Washington and show them how it’s done! Ethically!

• Ultragigagigantic@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Everyone freaks out about discovering Santa isn’t real. How about when you figure out everyone coasts through life? through the path of least resistance. Because we all wish for peace. We will suffer greatly to have a peaceful life.

Me too, thanks.