• alvvayson@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

Just switching by itself is a huge contribution.

And I also think they pay to use it, since commercial usage is not free.

• eeleech@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

since commercial usage is not free

Commercial usage oft the osm data is free, see the OSM license. The article even speculates that they switched from Google maps due to licenses costs.

Of course this doesn’t apply to commercial services that provide e.g. map tiles.

• CommunicationOk3492@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I dont think they pay anything I the article itself it says it’s free to use and that the main factor to switch were the costs. In the comments there people also say that DHL doesn’t seem to donate to the project.

Here ist the part from the article translated to English:

Since there has been no announcement of the change from either Deutsche Post or DHL, the reasons for this step remain unclear. Presumably, cost reasons may have played a role. Deutsche Post had to pay fees to Google for the use of Google Maps. The data of Openstreetmap is under a free license and may be used without payment of license fees.

• HumanPenguin@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

The simple fact companies like this se the data. Will encourage others who use those companies to update data around them.

Many small companies will find it useful to ensure OSM knows where they are. And inďeviduals who often do not choose delivery companies. Will quickly discover adding short cuts and details around them helps ensure there parcels arrive.

Not to mention most drivers for a company like this. Will want to aid other drivers if they find useful info during an of the beaten path delivery.