link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

tbh it basically means “neither ugly nor attractive to me

It has nothing to do with actual averages.

• Cyber Ghost@lemmygrad.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

The way that I have seen people use it is as “I find you unattractive, but I dont want to hurt your feelings”

• queermunist she/her@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Unattractive, yes, but not ugly.

It’s more like “I personally don’t find you attractive, but I guess someone else might”

• queermunist she/her@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

Sure, but that doesn’t mean it’s always imaginable. People generally don’t realize how broad the human experience is.

So what they actually mean is “I can imagine a hypothetical person being attracted to you”

• ImOnADiet [he/him]@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Honestly I’m not super sure either. I think most people just use it to mean that someone is not particularly noteworthy to them. They have a nice appearance if you sit there and look at them, but it doesn’t surprise you like running into a model would? Idk just spit balling here

• ComradeSalad@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

A person that looks like the vast majority of people you see everyday, and there’s nothing particularly head turning about them compared to everyone else you see on a daily basis.

I don’t see it as a “beauty” or “objectification” issue, just a way to say that there’s nothing particular impressive about a person in your opinion.

• rjs001@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

It’s a rude and capitalist way of thinking where people are objectified and commodified so commodity terms are applied to humans like the idea of averages

• Life2Space@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I don’t understand. Sexual selection, based on factors, such as physical appearance, has existed long before the advent of capitalism, and will likely continue to exist long after it has withered away.

• rjs001@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

The idea of commodifying someone down to the way they look is problematic. In capitalism we have the idea of sorting someone looks wise simply for the sake of the way they look look wise rather then the effect that would have on their ability to reproduce as has happened historically.

• PeeOnYou@lemmygrad.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

eh, I’m willing to bet pretty people have always held advantages in society regardless of the economic system

• Life2Space@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Someone they deem to be neither physically attractive nor ugly; basically, in the middle or around the middle of the spectrum of attractiveness.

Of course, “attractiveness” is highly dependent on individual preferences, so there’s no universal answer.

• WhatWouldKarlDo@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Based on the local population: average height, average weight, average skin colour. Not too attractive, not too ugly. No unique features.

• Herding Llamas@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

This would be of course regional and specific to the person saying it. Some examples of averages: if someone is in the middle range of weight, so not skinny nor fat they would be average. If this person / these people are in China, black/dark hair color would be average. If this average person has natural red hair, they would only be average in the annual ginger meetup as being a ginger is rare everywhere.

If you need a picture of this for your area, this is very Googleable. Here is a example average looking women. https://images.app.goo.gl/wFzkRwFjM1WnkfQt8

• Cyber Ghost@lemmygrad.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

For some reason, I found all of these attractive. I thought that average meant unattractive

• Herding Llamas@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Na. Average isn’t bad. It also isn’t exceptionally good, it’s simple in the middle. I mean people could say it meanly to make themselves feel better because the are “above average”, but fuck them.

• ComradeChairmanKGB@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

The average person looks “Asian” (approx 60%), more specifically Chinese or Indian (approx 18% each). Note that for the purposes of this calculation, the European peninsula is not considered a part of Asia. Sorry Mayos, they kicked you out.

• ☭CommieWolf☆@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

More like Europeans made up their own definition of “continent” so they didn’t have to be lumped in with the rest of Asia, because they were too “civilized” and “culturally distinct”, which makes no sense because every corner of Asia is virtually unrecognizable from the rest.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

By that logic, North and South America should be one continent, and that would be absurd. It’s good to have a distinction.

But Eurasia just works better in general.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

The Isthmus of Suez used to join Africa and Asia until the Suez canal was constructed. Should Europe, Asia, and Africa be considered a single continent??? That would be hilariously absurd.

Your first statement is also not true, that entirely depends on where you are from as different countries list North and South America as one continent or two. Russia views them as one. China views them as two. The US views them as two, many African nations view them as two, many South American nations view them as one.

So it has less to do with politics and more towards on what culture you are from. It has little to do with politics as a wide variety of countries have varying opinions.

Internationally by the UN and scientific organizations they are recognized as two separate continents.

• redtea@lemmygrad.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

I thought it was based on tectonic(?) plates rather than divisions that we can see on the surface. Which brings me to the same conclusion as you, although now that I think about it I have no idea how many plates are in the Americas.

• SpaceDogs@lemmygrad.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Wait, is there not a physical separation between the two? I thought there was a waterway of some sort…

• HR_Pufnstuf@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

It means a 5-6 on a scale of 10 of how attractive they appear. How is that hard to understand?

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

Original intent was to show irritation at people asking questions where the answers are self explanatory. The intent towards you is similar.

Do you dislike it when people are nice to you?

Depends. If I’m asking stupid questions or being an ass hat, I would expect non-nice responses. Note, I don’t consider being rude to those posting stupid questions as being an ass hat. I see it as doing the world a service. You are welcome. :)

• non-diegetic screams@lemmygrad.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

Original intent was to show irritation at people asking questions where the answers are self explanatory. The intent towards you is similar.

This is not your community. It is not for you to decide this.

Depends. If I’m asking stupid questions or being an ass hat, I would expect non-nice responses.

Ok, fuck off cracker

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                11 months ago

Ah, so you never really were offended to begin with, you were just looking for justification to swear. Congratulations, I guess you found it.

As for ‘This is not your community’… and you are? Not every question is a good one, and there is no harm saying so.

Now, you just violated the rules for lemmygrad by calling me a cracker.

Speaking of, please read our rules

Lemmygrad-wide rules are on the homepage. I’ll copy them here too:

Rules

No capitalist apologia / anti-communism.

No bigotry - including racism, sexism, ableism, homophobia, transphobia, or xenophobia.

I expect your immediate apology, via DM is acceptable to save you some shame, or I shall have to report your infraction. You have 24 hours.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

As beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it can only be a subjective scale, obviously.