• MechanicalJester@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Sometimes. You cannot go to a store and buy the freshest, most mouth watering and delicious fruits because they cannot handle being shipped even locally.

A warm, juicy peach right off the tree is an amazing experience.

Also, you know 100% of what what was and what wasn’t done to your stuff.

That said, I don’t have the time or will to grow all my own veggies that I like daily.

I can, however make enough other stuff that’s saleable so I can afford fresh veg year round.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Haha no.

The fruit will not travel.

Some produce has to be enjoyed immediately or preserved immediately.

If you mean at the farm where it came from then sometimes.Youd have know when it was picked.

The best sweet corn is heated, not cooked, within minutes of picking at peak quality.

• FiniteBanjo@lemmy.todayOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Great but that has nothing to do with keeping a population of 8 Billion People happy and healthy.

• Grass@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I mean the government could open up facilities for cooking meals or processing food for cold storage that would otherwise be thrown out, and regulate both farming and grocery stores so that anything that would get wasted instead goes to feed homeless people or something. Its a massive yeah right though. All industrial farming has done on this side of this rock is pump us full of ready roundup and microplastics, crush small independent grocers, drive up water and other resource consumption, and people are still going hungry regularly. Corporate america will never let people be happy and healthy without wealth divisions on this continent, and likely as much of the others as can be influenced.

• FiniteBanjo@lemmy.todayOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

Yes, we can call these structures “Food Pantries” and we can have a system that allots it fairly and evenly called a “faring well” system.

• Aceticon@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Judging by the median quality of life (rat race, anybody) and the obesity epidemic (and related diseases), neither “happy” nor “healthy” seem to be objectives and it looks a lot more like it’s just “alive and energized enough to work”.

Industrial Food (and that includes the Intensive Farming and Cattle Rearing side) in the US is particularly bad at the healthy part, and even in countries with better food regulations the industrial stuff (and again that includes the products of intensive farming and livestock ranching) is still significantly worse in that sense than the non-industrial kind but at least they don’t shove corn so hard that it adds up to over 70% of the human food chain directly and indirectly like in the US.

Not that I’m saying that the World can sustain this big a population without intensive farming. I’m just disputing that the modern version of it even tries to have “happy” or “healthy” as objectives, much less have succeeded in achieving either.

• TranscendentalEmpire@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Neither does industrial farming? We grow more than enough food to feed the world every year, but don’t because that’s not the point of industrial farming. The point of increasing the amount of industrial level farming every year is to increase the profit margins of large agriculture conglomerates.

I

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Some things are ridiculously easy to grow in some places and we should for exactly that reason. It’s like drinking bottled water when you have an amazing spring in your backyard of great tasting clean water.

• MonkeMischief@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Imagine if the powers that be actually tried to solve for “How do we keep 8 billion people happy and healthy.” Lol

Surely, it stretches the imagination…