• GolfNovemberUniform@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        25 days ago

GPU acceleration and much more modern UI design (no gradients, flat elements, no shadows and worse contrast). It also has a lot of limitations and deprecations compared to GTK3 but we’re not talking about that. The app doesn’t seem to use the official libadwaita theme though which is a shame because I love it

• GolfNovemberUniform@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            25 days ago

I’m not that advanced to give you a good answer here but basically some UI and backend elements from GTK3 don’t exist in GTK4 and the last one has more limited theming support. The biggest issue is probably the random deprecation and breakage of older things during minor updates of GTK4. This all makes devs use GTK3 instead and not upgrading to GTK4. It’s old, stable and feature-rich

• Aatube@kbin.melroy.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      25 days ago

It basically converts videos between formats, standards of compression, encoders, subtitles, dimensions… It’s pretty useful for trimming the size of a video to fit a particular medium.

• LeFantome@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          25 days ago

So you are an oxygen to carbon dioxide converter? Because the answer is yes but I am guessing this is not a very complete answer for what you are.

He told you what it was. It is much more than a front-end for FFMPEG.

• Aatube@kbin.melroy.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          25 days ago

Kinda.

HandBrake’s backend contains comparatively little original code; the program is an integration of many third-party audio and video libraries, both codecs (such as FFmpeg, x264, and x265) and other components such as video deinterlacers (referred to as “filters”). These are collected in such a manner to make their use more effective and accessible (e.g., so that a user does not have to transcode a video’s audio and visual components in separate steps, or with inaccessible command-line utilities).

• IllNess@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      25 days ago

In the days of DVDs, Blockbusters and Netflix sending out DVDs, this was mostly used to rip DVDs.

• nexussapphire@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    25 days ago

Meh, I use the UI for like ten minutes and let it transcode multiple collection of seasons over the course of a weekend.

It’s a little nicer and a tad faster but it really doesn’t make a big difference unless they improve transcoding speeds/quality. Otherwise I don’t really touch it unless I buy a new box set or go to a garage sale.

If anyone’s curious I rip full quality media with make mkv and point handbrake at the folder to compress it with hevc.

• Lemmchen@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      25 days ago

I’m not sure what your comment is supposed to contribute. Should the developers stop developing the software? What changes do you expect?

• nexussapphire@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

You don’t have to be combative, all I was saying is the gui doesn’t make much difference to me. It worked perfectly fine before and I’m sure it’ll keep working just as well as before.

What would make a bigger difference is improvements to the backend seeing that it effects over 90% of the experience and usability of the app. I spend less time in the gui than I do renaming files in my file manager or even the make mkv app.

I’ve already said that but I guess you didn’t read past the first line. I didn’t say give up on development I said who cares about a change in graphics toolkit.

• megabat@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          24 days ago

I agree with you that the gui toolkit is pretty uninteresting from the users pov, or at least mine. I do wonder if the multi-threaded transcoding pipeline changes in ffmpeg 7 will improve performance in handbrake at all. I’m not sure if Handbrake calls the ffmpeg cli or not.

https://www.phoronix.com/news/FFmpeg-CLI-MT-Merged

• nexussapphire@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            24 days ago

It’s annoying but you can do multiple transcodes at a time on everything but Linux. It’s only annoying because the complexity of h265 means it’s highly serialized compared to older codecs.

I could easily handle multiple transcodes at a time on my 12 core processor with dvds but something like 4k blueray and sometimes hd blueray (depending on the complexity) saturates my processor. It doesn’t run transcodes in a separate process

Did they add support in this version?