• Juice64@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

You guys must be too young to remember the Oblivion Horse DLC. Bethesda’s one of the earliest culprits

• Paradoxvoid@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 days ago

It’s funny how when this was released, people were massively up in arms since it was ‘only cosmetic’ - then we saw what these companies would do with PvP games and P2W microtransactions, so people had to turn around and beg for them to return to being purely cosmetic additions…

• ObsidianZed@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 days ago

Geez… I had to look it up and that was 18 years ago. There are legal adults today that weren’t born yet.

I remember it though I didn’t have an Xbox and it I remember correctly, I want to say it was only available on Xbox.

• MudMan@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    24 days ago

Hey, you guys wanna rage for a bit?

There are more microtransactions in Valve’s latest game than on EA’s, by a huge margin.

ROUND 1, FIGHT!

• Barbarian@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      24 days ago

Just googled their latest 2 releases to compare. Sims 4: For Rent, a cash-grab low-effort Sims DLC, doesn’t have microtransactions while Counterstrike 2 does.

EDIT: Neither does their last full game release, EA Sports WRC. Their upcoming game, F1 24 looks like it’s absolutely riddled with mtx though.

• MudMan@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        24 days ago

You missed one, the last game EA published is Tales of Kenzera: Zau, a single player metroidvania. Also no MTX. So that’s what? Three for three?

You can’t go too wide here, though, because EA makes so many more games than Valve, so let me reframe it.

EA has released way more games with no games-as-service stuff in them than Valve in the past decade.

ROUND 2…

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          24 days ago

EA has released way more games with no games-as-service stuff in them than Valve in the past decade.

To be fair, EA has released way more games, period. This is across every category. Valve is primarily a digital marketplace company that sometimes makes a game, and has been for a long time.

Also, I didn’t include EA as publisher, because it would drastically change the conversation. It’s not part of Valve’s overall business strategy (again, because they’re primarily a marketplace company now) so it’s not apples to apples. They simply don’t publish externally developed games, because why would they when they run Steam?

• MudMan@fedia.io
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            24 days ago

EA has a PC storefront as well, though, so technically that is not a difference between the two, but I’m not gonna be disingenuous and pretend the two storefronts are comparable or as much of a priority. And published releases absolutely count, otherwise you’d have to tally each individual EA studio. Valve has published third party games, too. And, in fairness, EA has published Valve games in the past as well.

Either way, by any reasonable metric you choose Valve is at best as deeply invested in MTX and games as a service as EA. Unless you count “how many total games with MTX each has published”, because when you make no games you make no MTX, I suppose.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              24 days ago

by any reasonable metric you choose Valve is at best as deeply invested in MTX

Completely agree with this. I honestly believe the best apples-to-apples metric is to look at their most popular games and compare the mtx across them, in which case Valve doesn’t exactly come across as good in the comparison.

In terms of publishing, with the exception of Aperture Hand Lab (basically a little tech demo), they haven’t published any third party developer’s game since 2010. For the purposes of this conversation, I think it’s fair to count EA subsidiaries as EA.

When you make no games you make no MTX

Absolutely, this was the counterpoint I was trying to make about the raw “number of games” argument.

EDIT: Oh, I see the misunderstanding! I mean “published” as “financially backed the development, advertising and releasing of the game”, not “published to their storefront”. Same word with multiple meanings can be a major source of misunderstandings.

• MudMan@fedia.io
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                24 days ago

Oh, no, I meant it the same way you do. In either case it’s nitpicking and we’re agreeing too much to bother with that, honestly.

• MeatsOfRage@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

Yea I feel like this post has some real 2014 energy. There are much bigger problems in the industry right now. 2K absolutely loading their titles with MTX and gambling, the whole mobile industry digging into people’s life savings, Microsoft absolutely eviscerating good studios.

• Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        24 days ago

their last full game release, EA Sports WRC

WRC? Watford Recreational Center? With Rectal Cameras? World Record Clitoris?