Carlo Acutis, a teenage website developer, was attributed a second miracle by Pope Francis, advancing his path to becoming the first millennial saint.

• deerdelighted@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Wait so according to the article, someone prayed to him while in hospital and got healed? Is that all it takes to become a Saint? I wonder: if I ever get into a hospital I should pray to say Genghis Khan just to troll the Church.

• jballs@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Think about how weird that is for a minute. This guy wasn’t a saint when people were praying to him. So do Catholics just go around praying to randos until 3 people pray to the same rando and then are like “aha! a saint!” ?

• gerbler@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

As far as I recall, you need to perform 3 miracles that have to be verified (yes, I know lmao) by the Catholic church in order to be canonized (dubbed a saint).

Often times these aren’t major miracles with significant outcomes but picture a statue crying or the image of the person appearing on a slice of toast or whatever.

• jballs@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

Yeah but 2 of this guy’s 3 were healing people that prayed to him. Which is what spawned my question: so Catholics pray to non-saints?

• anton@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

It needs to happen twice. I would help you but I still poses the indestructibility of youth.

spoiler

I think the person also needs to be Catholic.

• Land_Strider@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Can we go with another fictional character yet? It has been so long since Jesus was added to the lore that the fantasy of it has been waning with all these mundane saints.

I nominate Joker for, erm… you know, always putting on a smile even when getting a beating from Batman the, umm… Dark Knight, which is definitely an evil title, right?

• Rob T Firefly@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

That’ll just cause more schisms as people split off to follow the various versions and incarnations of the Joker. The various sects will violently disagree on everything except the fact that it’s not fucking Jared Leto.

• whoisearth@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

If you’re American pray to some rich fuck to clear your medical bills. Imagine the collective circle jerk if it was Saint Elon? The dick riding would be insane! Hahaha