• blindbunny@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    24 days ago

This is what happens when a company has no diversity. Most companies dogfood their own production. Reminds me of Google’s gorilla situation…

• Hubi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      24 days ago

This happens even on newer Toyotas, so it’s not exactly company-specific. The issue is the biased training data used for the face recognition system.

• blindbunny@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        24 days ago

This seems more like an excuse. All these companies aren’t using the same training data.

They literally never tested this on an asian person before selling in the vehicle…

• Fedizen@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          24 days ago

Toyota is a japanese manufacturer. Likely they localize the feature and the localized version has the problem. Its completely possible they all contract the same software vendors in the US for certification reasons, resulting in similar problems.

• systemglitch@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          24 days ago

Your claim is a Japanese company never tested on Asian people? Would you place a bet on those odds?

• zaph@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            24 days ago

Toyota in the US is more American than most American car companies. The tech being different isn’t that big of a stretch.

• Kaboom@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          24 days ago

Or potentially it did, found the issue, and werent able to solve before the deadline

• ClockworkN@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

There’s an episode of American Auto where they make a self-driving car that can’t see black people. It’s a good show. Check it out.

• Ech@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      24 days ago

Sounds like a similar episode of Better Off Ted. Also a great show that only got 2 seasons.

• Got_Bent@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

God I loved that show, especially that episode. If they’d made it a few years later, it most certainly would’ve been picked up by one of the streaming services for more seasons.

• MintyFresh@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

One of my faves. I still think of the line from that episode “but we don’t have the parking for that” whenever I walk past a car desert

• Dragster39@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

Maybe we could add mandatory accessoires.

You have to wear blood pressure, respiratory and heart rate sensors while driving.

Additionaly these could be made available to insurance companies for a small reduction in fees from 115% to 105%, so it feels cheaper while they tell you it’s for your own benefit.

• mavu
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

My car keeps screaming at me to keep my hands on the wheel, WHILE I’M FUCKING HOLDING IT.

• Artyom@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

My car’s lane assist deactivates if the road is too straight because I haven’t moved the steering wheel in too long. The only way to get it back is to swerve a bit.

• Trainguyrom@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 days ago

My FIL shared that the lane assist tried to swerve into oncoming traffic shortly after they bought their new car with all the assist bells and whistles. On the other hand my MIL shouldn’t be driving and genuinely had the drowsy assist force her to be a bit safer. I’m seriously waiting for the day she finally loses her license either for drunk driving or just speeding/tailgating/illegally passing etc. excessively

• hessenjunge
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      23 days ago

Your car (Tesla?) has no sensors on the wheel that can detect your hands. That’s why you need to jerk the wheel every couple of seconds.

• mavu
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

God no. It’s a Peugeot, and light hands on black wheel. But the other comment says it has no sensors, except the ones that detect movement of the wheel. so apparently i just have to jerk the wheel randomly, like a BMW driver and it will stop yelling at me.

• hessenjunge
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          22 days ago

Exactly, other cars do have ‘hand-detection-sensors’ so you on my have to touch the wheel. I would assume current BMWs should have it.

• mavu
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

So, what you are saying is, i"m driving too good, so the car thinks I’m not there? And we want to let those dumb things drive themselves?

• DogWater@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    23 days ago

Lol just like the old Xbox Kinect failing miserably at seeing dark skinned black people correctly or at all

• shalafi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    24 days ago

My wife’s Asian and only been driving 3-years. LMFAO, she would be a shaking crying mess if the car kept yelling at her to pay attention.

• Death_Equity@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

Car manufacturer tried to make a safer and more attentive driver through monitor and warning systems, accidentally causes crippling anxiety instead.

• Queen HawlSera@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    24 days ago

You’d think they’d have learned from all the cameras that can’t see black people…

This is racist as shit.

• fine_sandy_bottom
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      24 days ago

It’s actually probably not racist as shit.

I’m white with larger eyes. My car tells me the same thing. Constantly.

Yes I understand that facial recognition software is usually racist as shit, but this particular situation may just be shitty software rather than racist shitty software.

• smb@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    23 days ago

i’ld try to stick some googly eyes on a headband to wear when driving. if it does not help, its at least good for a selfie.

• Duamerthrax@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

I can see small teams not having the personal to account for every possiblity, but this should have gotten picked up in testing and not made it to production. There was an automatic soap dispenser that couldn’t see dark skin, but that didn’t make it to full scale production.

• teamevil@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      22 days ago

I mean I just liked them because you actually learn more about other perspectives…plus other cultures are pretty dope too…the white power idiots need to go out and realize white town is creepy and unpleasant.

• Trainguyrom@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        22 days ago

white town is creepy and unpleasant

And simultaneously incredibly boring! There’s only so much alcohol and casseroles I can be entertained by…