This is a very entertaining and educational article, giving insights into the methods used by thiefs to try and get access to your phone data.

I don’t like Apple but it’s great that their security is so good when it comes to this.

• Opisek@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    21 days ago

The article does not mention reporting it to the police. I get that 99.99% of the time, nothing will come of it, but that’s something I would immediately do. Maybe I just don’t get the rich aspect of going out and buying the newest latest model right away and forgetting about the stolen phone, even if it is theoretically still in the reach of police forces.

• TachyonTele@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      21 days ago

What are the police going to do about your phone?

“Yup. It sure is gone now. Have a nice day.”

• dependencyinjection
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      20 days ago

It’s literally a waste of my time to report it to the police. Plus I ain’t speaking to the police unless I’m under arrest and even then it’s to say no comment.

Sure if I see someone get murdered or a something serious then sure I’ll speak, but generally the police can get to fuck. They’re not friends and I’ve only ever had bad interactions with them.

• FermatsLastAccount@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

99.99% seems optimistic. You’re gonna have to buy a new phone regardless, if it’s stolen then it’s gone. You can either wait a few days and then buy a new one, or you can just buy it right away

• Lizardking27@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      21 days ago

Why would anyone ever interact with the police unless it was absolutely required? They’re not gonna care about your phone, and they might shoot your dog in the process.

ACAB

You should never ever ever purposefully attempt to interact with the police.

• thermal_shock@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      21 days ago

yeah, let’s invite armed thugs to your location, then piss them off by asking them to help find your precious. unless it’s for insurance purposes, leave police out. if you have 1 problem, and call police, now you have 2.

• Landless2029@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      16 days ago

No joke my dad found a phone while on public trans on his way home from work and 2 hours later the cops showed up knocked and asked for the phone.

Owner choose not to press charges.

I live in a major US city. Who knew!

• BURN@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      20 days ago

There’s no point in reporting this to the police in the US. They literally do not care and will not do anything about it.