This is what I get when going to Reddit while connected to Proton VPN, connected to a server in the same country I live in.

• conorab@lemmy.conorab.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 days ago

My guess is it’s to reduce scraping. A single bad actor can swap between IPs from VPN providers easily. They also seem to ban blocks of IPs since both my colocated server IP (had it since 2019) and PureVPN dedicated IP (recent) are blocked despite me being the only user. Forcing account creation adds an extra step and way they can block you.

• Yawweee877h444@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 days ago

Same for mullvad. Most servers are blocked, although you can still find some that aren’t.

Reddit sucks now anyway so fuck 'em.

• testuserpleaseupvote@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 days ago

The internet is becoming worst and worst to use everyday with a VPN. Using Private Browsing… on Firefox? That’s a triple signal for you to fuck off from any stock traded company’s website.

• Facebones@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 days ago

Private Internet Access is a solid VPN but is definitely flagged by any sites pulling this bullshit.

• Facebones@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 days ago

Any suggestions that haven’t been? I don’t stay in the loop, I think I heard that they had been but so had everyone else, basically.

• resonate6279@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 days ago

I’ve been using Proton for 4ish years now and like it. Email, VPN, drive, and calendar. I use something else instead of proton pass, but just for diversity.

• Facebones@reddthat.com
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 days ago

Yeah I already have web/mail hosting, and the rest self hosted. How is proton with getting flagged by sites and swimming in captchas or outright blocks? I kinda just assumed they all struggled with that these days.

• resonate6279@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 days ago

I don’t struggle a lot with it. Occasionally I’ll have an issues, but it’s not bad at all. Sometimes I have to switch severs, but I’ll usually find a working one in 1-2 tries.

The only outright block I run into is sometimes .gov sites won’t let me in unless I’m set to a us server.

• RememberTheApollo_@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 days ago

Really? I use PIA all the time and haven’t had any issues with normal internet usage including reddit. Wirst I get is google making me check a captcha box once in a while.

• Ranman@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 days ago

This is an issue with all popular VPNs on various websites. VPNs use shared IP addresses so just a few bad actors using that VPN can get it blocked for everyone. I can’t even load Google sometimes without multiple human verification checks.

• deweydecibel@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 days ago

Let’s not pretend it’s all about “bad actors”. They don’t want masked traffic at all, the “bad actors” gives them an excuse.

And we know this because if the IP was the issue, they wouldn’t let you use the site at all, but they will work fine after signing in. Any of these VPNs work as long as you’re logged into reddit, even with a throwaway account.

• realbadat@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 days ago

This is reddit blocking all VPNs it can, and only on new reddit.

It has nothing to do with bad actors and everything to do with maximizing user data gathering.

• vxx@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 days ago

It seems to me like they blocked all VPN users.

I have the same experience on Mozilla VPN and I didn’t use reddit for a year.

Edit: It let’s me through when I log into my old account.

• 3volver@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 days ago

Yea I ran into the same thing about 2 months ago, haven’t even gone back to check it. https://lemmy.world/post/14769888

I’d just be grateful you found Lemmy. I suspect Reddit is mostly bot spam at this point hidden as real users. Sucks that so many old posts are now being gatekept, a pinnacle of the real enshittification that’s happening right now.

• Cyborganism@lemmy.caOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 days ago

Oh for sure.

It’s just sometimes it feels a bit lonely in my main communities. I’m a francophone Quebecois and there isn’t a lot of us on Lemmy. Most of them didn’t seem to care about the whole API thing and don’t seem to care about the bots and the AI either.

The Quebecois are creatures of habit and one they’ve settled down on something it’s hard to make them change.

• athairmor@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 days ago

Proton has a bajillion servers. It shouldn’t take long to find one that isn’t blocked. Save it as a profile.

• vxx@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 days ago

Wow, it’s the same for Mozilla VPN (Mulvulla) which doesn’t even pretent you’re from a different country.

• DarkThoughts@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 days ago

VPNs in general and for quite a long time now. You can use LibRedirect to use a different frontend (please note that a lot of the alternative instances for other sites are pretty much broken).