• Coasting0942@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        5 days ago

I’m not going back to typing my grocery list manually. So I’m fucked in that part of my life.

Edit: thank you to everybody suggesting privacy preserving methods of grocery list maintenance. I’ve already considered them.

• haui@lemmy.giftedmc.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 days ago

I use „tasks“ for that. When i prepare to go grocery shopping I go to my fridge, open the completed „shopping“ tasks list and uncomplete what is empty. I then complete them again in the mall. Of course the list is hosted on my server.

You can also have a barcode scanner to automate the „done“ action. You could also put in a timer to automatically make things undone if they need regular buying.

In any case, using ai voice recognition for this is a massive waste of computing power for things that can be done by simple if else statements. Of course it is also a massive privacy invasion if you use big tech stuff for it.

• zingo@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 days ago

I use „tasks“ for that. When i prepare to go grocery shopping I go to my fridge, open the completed „shopping“ tasks list and uncomplete what is empty. I then complete them again in the mall. Of course the list is hosted on my server.

A man of culture I see.

Selfhosted task list. There is where we stand united my friend.

• qprimed@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 days ago

so voice typing, huh? not really sure it matters at this point. I use an open source keyboard, but my inputs go right into the OS of the worlds largest spy organization.

on the other hand… this is a great opportunity to hone your handwriting and memory skills.

• grrgyle@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 days ago

You don’t write your grocery list on a bit of paper stuck to the fridge…? I thought that was downright universal

• IllNess@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

Losing privacy for convenience has been happening. We use GPS on our smart phones for better directions. We install listening devices to add things to shopping carts and to play music by voice. We install cloud security cameras at home. We accept free WiFi in stores which gives them our cell phone info and our location. We use digital cash instead of physical cash. We buy things online rather than going to the store. Every device, like a toaster, has a MAC address.

• foremanguy@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

Signal is using Google Push messaging, but it could be used with websocket. And officially it’s not on fdroid because they don’t want forks of their app

• toastal@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 days ago

Yet the Molly fork supports UnifiedPush so I can reuse my connection with mf XMPP server to deliver notification from a server I control. Folks have asked for UnifiedPush or MQTT as an alternative to having multiple persistent socket connections open on your device, but Signal doesn’t seem to care.

• toastal@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 days ago

You have to proxy their socket. It’s dumb, & Signal is bad. Using FSM is bad for privacy & limits to only Android/iOS primary devices is a slap-in-the-face for users wish to bleak out of the duopoly owned by two ad companies.

• doodledup@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 days ago

How would that prevent you from forking the app? F-droid isn’t a repository for the code of the app. I don’t think this is related at all.

I don’t actually know the reason why it’s not on F-droid but I assume it has some historical reason. It has never been on F-drroid since Text-secure. Moxy Marlinspike was strictly against it afaik. If somebody has more detail on it, feel free to share it.

• qprimed@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 days ago

from the video…

I think we need to be very cautious with the AI narrative where we are being lead to confuse mass surveillance with intelligence and by doing so initiate these corporate technologies into the core of our social and governmental institutions.

• grrgyle@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

Did they mean “and be doing so insinuate” I wonder? Initiate makes some sense too, just odd phrasing.

Anyway! I’m getting sidetracked lol! Haven’t even watched the video yet. Thanks for sharing the quote

• qprimed@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 days ago

there was a mental word search, glitch in the matrix moment right at that point - read into that what you will, cuz these days all options are valid.

“insinuate” is absolutely the very best word, but publicly one has to walk the fine line between complicity and hair-on-fire alarm, and so “initiate” came out of her mouth.

for the record, I think we are past the face-melting stage.

• grrgyle@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 days ago

Yeah that’s relatable. It’s so easy to pick apart someone else’s words when you’re just passively observing, but when it’s you in the moment…

• Guy_Fieris_Hair@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    6 days ago

I have yet to meet a person who gives a shit about AI. I have yet to meet a person who has intentionally used AI. It’s all marketing bs and a way to mine our data.

• Sidyctism2
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

I had a classmate that was really exstatic about AI, like he basically believed its the second coming of christ. And then another one who was like “ohh look i can use this to make neat wallpapers”. That was about all the resonance i got from my social circles.

• hswolf@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

I don’t like the idea o LLMs everywhere, but I do use chatgpt quite a lot as a point of entrance to any topic that I might not know the existence of yet

• 31337@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 days ago

I use LLMs just about every day. It’s better than web-search for certain things, and is useful for some coding tasks. I think they’re over-hyped by some people, but they are useful.

• morrowind@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

I’m in university. Every student uses chatGPT. Constantly.

In our last exam, the prof basically just said “cat’s out of the bag, you can use chatGPT in the exam” (he gives open note exams).

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 days ago

This isn’t entirely true. AI is usually trained on public data such as Wikipedia.

AI is a tool. How you use it is what matters.

• Wave@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

OpenAI and Dall-Es lawyers would like to use your as a witness at their 87 court hearings coming up

• StaySquared@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 days ago

Like cracking passwords / encryption and injecting itself into anything and everything that connects to the internet?

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 days ago

You can train AI to crack passwords/encryption lol. You do realize, AI right at this moment is being utilized for exactly that, right? Simply put, the very first step is to eliminate it’s boundaries/guard rails, then proceed from there.

• Elias Griffin@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                6 days ago

Very interesting tip, preciate that.

@PassGAN

Instead of relying on manual password analysis, PassGAN uses a Generative Adversarial Network (GAN) to autonomously learn the distribution of real passwords from actual password leaks, and to generate high-quality password guesses. Our experiments show that this approach is very promising.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  6 days ago

It requires Deep Learning.

Deep Learning could be used to attempt breaking encryption, but the effectiveness depends on various factors such as the strength of the encryption algorithm and key length. Deep learning, a subset of machine learning, involves training artificial neural networks to learn and make decisions.

AI algorithms, such as machine learning and deep learning, have the potential to automate cryptanalysis and make it more effective, thereby compromising the security of cryptographic systems.

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 days ago

No you can’t, at least not in the way you think. You crack password by trying combinations. AI and machine learning are bad at raw attempts.

• 31337@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 days ago

It’s also trained on data people reasonably expected would be private (private github repos, Adobe creative cloud, etc). Even if it was just public data, it can still be dangerous. I.e. It could be possible to give an LLM a prompt like, “give me a list of climate activists, their addresses, and their employers” if it was trained on this data or was good at “browsing” on its own. That’s currently not possible due to the guardrails on most models, and I’m guessing they try to avoid training on personal data that’s public, but a government agency could make an LLM without these guardrails. That data could be public, but would take a person quite a bit of work to track down compared to the ease and efficiency of just asking an LLM.

• Kilgore Trout@feddit.it
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 days ago

Wikipedia requires attribution, which AI scrapers never give.

It is “public” work, but under a license.