Among the causes of infant deaths, one increased the most: congenital abnormalities, which increased 22.9% in Texas in children between 2021 and 2022, while they decreased 2.9% in the rest of the country. That trend suggests that at least in some cases, parents were forced to carry a pregnancy to term while knowing their children had little to no chance of survival, said Gemmill.

• tipicaldik@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 days ago

When my wife was pregnant with our first-born, my mother went with her to her first ultrasound appointment. To add a little back-story, I had a baby brother who was born when I was about 4 (1967). He had multiple birth defects and so many things wrong that he only lived 16 days. Needless to say, this affected my mom deeply. My wife told me that my mom cried while seeing her soon-to-be grandson on the screen and told her that if that technology had been available when she was pregnant with my brother that she would have terminated the pregnancy without a second thought. When I think of the pain and depression she lived with for pretty much the rest of her life, and then think about how the repukelican party want’s to force other women to go through that same agony too just makes me want to start hurling molotov cocktails into a trump rally…

• Billiam@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    4 days ago

So if

1. Conservatives think that abortion is murder

2. and there are more infants dying

3. but fewer abortions being performed

Doesn’t that mean they should consider their infant mortality rate exactly the same as before?

edit: Cause, if the above is true, but their infant mortality rate is going up, we can draw a straight line between the decrease of abortions and the increase of infant deaths. Of course, Conservative feelings don’t care about facts.

• yrmp@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 days ago

This is exactly it.

They’ll just spin it and it won’t matter because their voter base literally doesn’t care. They are incapable of critical thought, foresight, empathy, accountability, or generally any other positive human trait.

• Burn_The_Right@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

Conservatives don’t give a fuck if a baby dies. A conservative is not capable of empathy.

Having complete mortal control over others as well as causing misery to others are what brings conservatives deep, personal fulfillment. Truly. They thrive on control and misery. It is just who conservatives are at their core.

• WraithGear@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 days ago

They think one is the choice of the mother, and the other the choice of god. Only god is allowed to renig on his promise of life. And besides if it wasn’t cruel, what would be the point?

• Rapidcreek@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 days ago

Also that abortion training is becoming difficult to obtain for young doctors even in states where it is legal. Also, that maternal deaths increased 25% in the year after Dobbs was ruled. This is not about abortion. It is about women’s and baby’s health. But this population is too stupid to understand it. Too stupid or cruel or revengeful.

• originalucifer@moist.catsweat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 days ago

the difference is, the conservatives want infants to suffer and die rather than not suffering and dying. thats it. they need humans to suffer.

• cheese_greater@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 days ago

They are like that cop from South Park trying to bust all the Johns insisting “After they finish” but its after new life and its human carriage suffer for no reason and are further debillitated if at all possible

• Maple Engineer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 days ago

Republicans are killing women and babies because they are incucks. They are being chucked by people they don’t even know and it eats them up from the inside.

• mister_monster@monero.town
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 days ago

Good god the methodology.

If you count abortions as deaths, which the state of Texas would, hence making it illegal, it’s impossible that they went up. But even without that…

If more infants are born, because less abortions are happening of course, some of those are going to die.

Neither of these are particularly noteworthy.

Did deaths as a percentage of births go up? If not, this isn’t news at all.

• Spacehooks@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 days ago

Hmm seems like it’s just reporting “oh you know those babies that didn’t have much of a chance that we would normally abort? well shocker after forcing women to carry them those babies died”

Is it news maybe not. Does it add fuel to my outrage at the whole thing? Yes.