So, yesterday I broke my dominant arm. Yay! For the next 6 weeks, I have a cast, and at least for now, I can’t use my right hand or arm at all (I am typing this with my left hand).

I’m looking for suggestions what I can play. Some thoughts:

1. On PC, of couse
  2. Can be played only with the keyboard
  3. No time limits or need to respond quickly (e.g. many RTSes)
  4. I like puzzle games, RPGs, and good storytelling. I want to like sim games, but haven’t yet found one that I love.
  5. Nothing too difficult

Here’s a link to my Steam profile, if that helps: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198028619119/games/?tab=all

Thank you all for any advice!

• Heastes@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Or many of the other games in the genre as long as they have auto-aim. Brotato and halls of torment are worth checking out, imo.

• simple@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Slay the Spire and Monster Train are great singleplayer card games that can be played with just the mouse.

Pretty much any turn based RPG is on the table, I can easily recommend Octopath Traveler 2.

You can also play story-driven games like Telltale games and Pheonix Wright, those are pretty fun.

• hactar42@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Slay the Spire works great on a touchscreen as well. It runs great on my Surface.

However, there is a weird bug if playing on a Surface, that I feel obligated to let other know when recommending this game. You have to have the keyboard attached for the touchscreen controls to work in Slay the Spire. But you can flip it around the back and still play with the touchscreen.

• chili1553@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Slay the spire would make a broken arm recovery feel like time travel, lol.

I also play civ 5/6 with the next action button bound to an extra button on my mouse.

Probably a good time for OP to invest in a multi button mouse as well

• gamer@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

The recently released Baldur’s Gate 3 can be played with one hand perfectly fine. Your arm will likely heal before you finish it.

Edit: just noticed that you said you want keyboard only, in which case BG3 might not be ideal since it’s mostly mouse based. I think you can customize it to play with keyboard only since it has gamepad support, but don’t know what that’d be like.

There’s no fast paced clicking required though, so you could try to adapt to left handed mousery if you really want to play that one.

• aesopjah@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I second BG3. And just do mouse with off-hand. Or set up keyboard to act as mouse.

• Tapioca@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

There are some really decent ones that have just come out, are are on sale with the current Visual Novel fest on steam. Videoverse - VN set in a Miiverse style social network that is about to be shut down Hypnospace Outlaw - Another one set in a computer, this time it’s an alt reality internet based around old Geocities pages. Very fun/weird Analogue: A hate story ( on sale)- You’re investigating what happened to a Korean generation ship found abandoned in space by talking to its AI Long Live the Queen ( on sale) - On of those VNs where you pick activities etc to raise stats, but parodied/put on its head because you’ll die various horrible deaths until you get it right.

Good luck hope you heal fast!

• mesamune@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Peglin is fun and can be done with one hand. You have to like peggle kind of games. It’s in early access, but to me it’s already complete.

Coromon is like classic Pokemon but has some really cool little tricks up it’s sleeve.

Rise of the third power is kinda like final fantasy. Lots of great story telling and music.

Halcyon 6. It’s a spoof off of space games except it’s in rpg form. Used references from a lot of space series. Most startreck.

Into the breach is a great game.

All of these are indie games that I really enjoyed.

• Coelacanth@feddit.nu
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Even Baldur’s Gate 3 should be playable with one hand if you’re after something more modern.

• Coelacanth@feddit.nu
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I actually think BG 1&2 might be harder because of Real Time with Pause, come to think of it. Though if you have a mouse with rebind-able extra buttons it’d be alright, just set pause to a thumb button and you’re good to go.

• Contramuffin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Crypt of the NecroDancer can be played with one hand. Inputs are timed (due to it being a rhythm game), but you should be fine because the only inputs are WASD (or arrow keys if you prefer). It’s a roguelike, so there’s not much in the way of storytelling and it’s pretty challenging, but I feel like the gameplay is pretty puzzle-esque. If it’s any argument, I’m a huge fan of puzzles and I really enjoyed NecroDancer

• SandLight@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

It’s easy to overlook because of the graphics, but Caves of Qud is a really interesting game that fits your criteria.

It’s hard to explain just what it really is or what makes it great, but it has a good mixture of generated and written content that keeps it interesting.

• HidingCat@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Anything that is turn-based will work really, or doesn’t rely on a real-time mechanic.

I do suggest looking at a small trackball that you can use in the meantime. It’ll be useful for the times when you need a pointing device in a smaller space, for whatever reason.

• Aussiemandeus @lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Baulders Gate 3 is prettt mouse heavy. Dont need to use the keyboard much at all. You can also set the screen to scroll with the mouse.

Not to mention its the biggest game out now

• OrgunDonor@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

BG3 is such an easy recommend. Not only is it easy to play mouse only, it is also turn based combat, hugely story and decsion driven, and very very capable of giving you choice paralysis so you have plenty of reasons to come back with something different.

• cabhanOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

A good suggestion, and I’ve heard a lot about it over the past week :). I haven’t played Baldur’s Gate since the first one, and I was a bit too young for itr back then. Just bought it and it’s downloadin now