link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Its only the same if you strictly consider ‘the time I stand in this line’.

Its different because everyone behind her loses a feeling of progress from moving up, and it increases the queue length (at least visually) which can impact other people’s decision on which queue to join which, of course can impact the other queues.

To think the way the image suggests is to be inconsiderate to others around you.

• JackbyDev@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

losing a feeling of progress

Right, that’s why it says perfectly rationally. If someone is really being perfectly rational they should only care about how long they wait inine, not a feeling of how long they wait. I don’t think being “perfectly rational” is something folks should strive to do.

• RagingRobot@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Fuck everyone else though right? That doesn’t sound rational does it? In that case why even wait in the line? Just walk to the front because that will shorten your time

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Right, it’s illustrating the foolishness of endlessly pursuing “rationality”, it’s not something people should do. I literally said it’s not a good thing. Just because something is rational doesn’t make it good. Humans are emotional beings.

• Laticauda@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Except being rational is not void of emotional reasoning, so “perfectly rational” does not mean “thinking without any emotional logic involved whatsoever”. This person isn’t thinking rationally, they’re just thinking very literally.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

I think rational in this context doesn’t include emotional logic. I see your point though. I’m just saying I think they’re using the word differently than you.

• Laticauda@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

If it doesn’t include emotional logic when humans are fundamentally emotional beings, then it’s not rational.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

Which is why I think it’s clear they’re using the term rational differently and not including emotional logic.

• pufferfischerpulver@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I don’t think the person’s behaviour is rational at all. The queues in an airport are set up like they are for a good reason, to maximize the amount of people queuing in a given area. That is the rational behind the setup.
        The person in the picture is ruining the system based in the time being spent queueing. But she is not considering the space taken up by the queue as a whole. Not very rational.

• Landmammals@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Not only is it the same amount of wait time, but you have to pick up and put down your suitcase less times.

• wols@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s not even the same if you strictly consider ‘the time I spend in this line’, which I would assume is to most people the time that actually matters.

Everyone behind her doesn’t just lose the feeling of progress, they lose actual time (granted it’s probably just a few seconds). And she loses that time also.

The actual justification here seems to be that she’s busy doing something on her phone and doesn’t want to be distracted every 30 seconds, which in her mind trumps the handful of seconds she and everyone behind her would gain.
      Which imo would be fair enough, if you didn’t have to also add the annoyance of the people behind her to the equation.
      Many people standing in such queues are tired, stressed about catching their flight, or otherwise impaired and someone holding up the queue for no obvious reason can become aggravating fast.

• Vampiric_Luma@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Unless they considered all of those things and only didn’t move because there wasn’t any point, which to me is ultimately what staying in place is about.

In that very specific situation, yes it’s inconsiderate. We’re missing details like how busy the airport is etc so it’s a little unfair to point out though.

• YoFrodo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

the photo is from someone behind her. Even if one person is behind her then she is being inconsiderate to that person by waiting even if the other elements are not present.

• Vampiric_Luma@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

That person behind her could be her partner or friend, we don’t know. I’d imagine in that case they may feel a little stressed, but breaking that stress would be good imo. Why let a line-up bother you? Theres 3 more lines to choose from with hers being the longest. It’s also confirmed not spilling out if you observe the image.

There’s a possibility she’s being inconsiderate, but there’s a bigger possibility she’s fine based on visual evidence over reddit rhetoric.

• YoFrodo@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

In the context of the meme shes holding up a line and people are bothered by it. It takes little effort to progress through a queue instead of causing an issue for others just because you can.

• jarfil@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              11 months ago

It only takes little effort now, because she’s skipped 5 cycles of picking up her bags, progressing a couple feet, setting them back down.

• Vampiric_Luma@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

We don’t know if anyone is bothered by it except whoever posted it to the reddit and everyone here imagining a ton of people behind her. The photo might not even be owned by the OP. If someone has evidence of the contrary I’d change my mind, but otherwise there’s 0 reason to be triggered by this.

• Laticauda@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

The person who took the picture is presumably the one who wrote the caption, so unless they’d call their partner or their friends “this girl”, we do in fact know that isn’t the case.

Since this is an airport those lines are likely for different services, not just 3 options for the same service.

If something you’re doing is annoying an entire group of people around you and they’re all asking you to stop, then 9 times out of 10 what you’re doing is inconsiderate. There’s no good reason to just stand there ignoring everyone else instead of moving with the line and conserving space other than because you only care about how you personally feel on principle and your desire to die on a really stupid hill.

If her choice just affected her then that’d be one thing, but she’s forcing her choice on everyone in line behind her regardless of whether they want to keep moving or not. If she wants to stand in place and wait so badly then she can ask someone in front or behind her to remember her place in line and let her back in later (most people are willing to agree to this if asked politely), then she can stand off to the side until her spot gets to the front, and go back to where she was once it’s her turn, then everyone gets what they want.

• TheActualDevil@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

If she wants to stand in place and wait so badly then she can ask someone in front or behind her to remember her place in line and let her back in later (most people are willing to agree to this if asked politely), then she can stand off to the side until her spot gets to the front, and go back to where she was once it’s her turn, then everyone gets what they want.

We can all do that! Just remember what order we were in and stand off to the side until our turn in order comes up. Though, to make sure no one gets in other’s way when it’s our turn, we should stand off to the side in order of who’s place in line is first. Then we can all just stand off out of the way, all queued up!

Wait… what’s that? You’re saying I just made a whole other line in a different spot in a less efficient layout and not the area selected by the airport as closest to our destination? And this person’s “system” only works because she’s the only one doing it and she thinks that she’s figured out a cheat-code for life, but is actually an asshole?

Society would break down if everyone just did the thing that was best just for them with no credence given to anyone else. The only reason she’s able to get away with doing this kind of thing is because everyone else cares more about moving on with their life and the established systems moving forward rather than grinding them to a halt to get her on board. It doesn’t make her more logical. It makes her more selfish.

• jarfil@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

The person who took the picture is presumably the one who wrote the caption, so unless they’d call their partner or their friends “this girl”, we do in fact know that isn’t the case.

Social media and “like” counts make that statement invalid.

• Vampiric_Luma@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

You can say and do literally anything online. I’d need empirical proof, like the actual OP posting photos with the girl more or something substantial. Not a fucking twitter/X reply to a screenshot of a reddit post from a rage-bait farm.

Until then, this is a hypothetical situation. But in this hypothetical situation, we know there is at least one person behind her. We can estimate there’s at least not enough people to spill into the main area based on the remaining space in the photo showing the last section of the line empty. We gather that data based on a reliable presumption that the neighboring line-ups are fairly identical. At most, anyone behind her is feeling the mad breakdown of societal rules stripping away and beind made fun of in the actual post.

The only context I’m missing is airport procedure, it’s been awhile. I don’t know if one must line up at a specific line for departure check-in.

If she was actually causing problems and being snarky about it, I’d be on that drama. I just don’t see the evidence for being mad, especially for people feeling a little anxious over something that’s probably relieving her of anxiety. Fuck lines and chill out until it’s time. Moving will not change the fact you have to wait.

• Cortell@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

But it’s just a feeling of progress not actual progress. Whether she moves or not there’s still the same amount of people ahead of you in queue. Plus it’s an airport you queue for the airline that you booked with there’s no decision of queue to impact. The only actual factor is whether or not it spills out past the barriers so she can periodically check and move if that’s the case

• Laticauda@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

The feeling of progress literally affects how our brains perceive time. We experience it passing more quickly when we are moving and feel like we are progressing. To our brains and our perception of time, it very much is the same as actual progress.

• Cortell@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Yes and the whole point of the post is about pursuing perfect rationality which means only caring about facts and logic not perception.

• Laticauda@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

True rationality and logic would not dismiss perception. Time is literally relative. How the brain perceives the passage of time and the factors that affect it is a fact of biology. If you perceive time as passing more slowly when you aren’t moving, then being forced to stand still will literally make it take longer for you from your frame of reference.

• YoFrodo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Considering the feelings of others is a thing though, and many airlines have multiple queues even for the single airline. I guess it depends on how large the airport is but the consideration of others remains. Traveling is stressful, why add to that just because you can?

• Cortell@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Yes the point of the post is that a single person acting perfectly rationally will be seen as mad by a civil society which is also perfectly illustrated by people saying “yes that does make sense logically but what about my irrational emotional perception of time?”

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s less work for everyone involved, because they have to pick up their things fewer times.

The length of the line is determined by how many people are in it, not how close they are standing to each other. Being up in the business of the person in front of you doesn’t make anything go faster.

Also it would be beneficial to a person joining this line, because it has less people in it compared to other wines of the same apparent length.

So the only people who are actually negatively affected are the ones who join other lines. And the neurotic who get irrationally angry at seeing the gap.

• Mouselemming@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Personally I would rather pick my heavy stuff up for shorter stretches, especially if there’s more than I can carry at once. Can you imagine the chaos of her moving forward 20 feet and each person behind her having to carry two bags forward 20 feet and then run back for their other bag/pet carrier/baby car seat? Especially if they don’t wait for each other? Or someone tries to help but now the helpee can’t say they’re the only one who’s handled that bag? Dragging everything 3 feet at a time is hugely preferable.

• mipadaitu@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

That ONLY assumes that everyone is perfectly aware enough to not cause the line to extend out of the allotted area, AND nobody misses the fact that the front of the line moved far enough that they never cause a pause at the front. Assuming everyone has the ability to do this means that there shouldn’t have been a line in the first place. (and nobody has their face in their phone, like the person in the picture)

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

The line staying in the allotted area doesn’t make TSA work any faster. But you’ll get no argument from me that the people near the front of the line need to be paying attention.