• ddh@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Caught up on House of the Dragon, not bad so far. Finished The Acolyte, wouldn’t recommend, seemed rather pointless. Watched the very first episode of The Bear, very good.

• southsamurai@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Honestly? YouTube stuff.

Tasting history is fun, and there’s multiple ways to enjoy it without ads or bullshit getting in the way.

Plus, it’s the only place you can almost pick and choose between concerts from the entirety of live recording.

So, that’s what I’ve been watching when I watch anything at all, the last few weeks.

• Lvxferre@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Tasting history is fun

Fuck yeah, it is! And plenty things there can be tried at home. (Including garum, although it would be unwise to do so.) I can recommend his takes on tuh’u and placenta.

Other fun non-political, non-gaming channels to watch:

• Primer - explaining evolutionary concepts with cute blobs
      • NurdRage - backyard chemistry
      • Primitive Technology - watching someone building bricks and making charcoal from the scratch, sometimes even smelting iron
      • Technology Connections - about the design and history of [not-so-]simple items, like light bulbs and toasters
    • Coelacanth@feddit.nu
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Love or hate algorithms, I will say YouTube recommending Tasting History to me was a slam dunk. Very cozy channel.

• southsamurai@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Yeah, he has it nailed. Casual enough to be welcoming, enough good research to make it informative, and he’s just so dang accessible in his presentation.

• Call me Lenny/Leni@lemm.eeM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

She is an author, both of video games and of books. She made a game with what many have complained are some very cheap sprite knock-offs of other games, and in the book she later made based on the game, this was alluded to when the first main character encountered by the female protagonist (the one depicted in blue) is described as looking exactly like Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII.

When I went to wish her a happy birthday, I wanted to do it in a cheerful way, so I began drawing the characters, but then realized the arrangement would’ve been weird without context, so I also drew Sephiroth, another character in Final Fantasy and the villain who Cloud Strife canonically fights, to make it equally perceivable as a Final Fantasy drawing as it would be a drawing of her book/game, even though Sephiroth’s existence is only jokingly implied in the book/game.

And then I added a bit of dialogue because that’s my thing when I draw stuff like that. The text reads “do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior Jenova”, Jenova being the name of the alien cloned to create Sephiroth in Final Fantasy, thus I was remaking a common pun in the fandom. It was the only thing I could think of that would both fit the situation in the drawing, be enjoyed by the author who also happens to be into spiritual studies (which is a part of how I came to enjoy the author), and need the least amount of explaining to anyone who came across the chalk drawing.

• norimee@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Killing Eve and Netflix’s Easy Bake Battle.

Competitive baking and cooking shows are my guilty pleasure, when I’m not feeling well.

• Coelacanth@feddit.nu
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

I’ve been having a hard time getting into narrative stuff lately so it’s mostly been YouTube stuff. The big thing is I have been catching up on the DotA 2 esports scene to get ready for my yearly watch of The International. I quit playing like 8 years ago but still enjoy watching games, so I’ve been having VODs of the Riyadh Masters/Esports World Cup games running in the background.

Always watching Steve Mould, Basically Homeless and Coffeezilla videos whenever they come out.

Finally I’ve been rewatching Mythbusters as my nightly viewing before bed. The saints who keep the Streamlined Mythbusters torrent seeded are heroes of the internet.

• Chai@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Scooby Doo. I think the series I watched came out in 2010, Daphne was using a flip phone.

• kindenough@kbin.earth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Tried watching Axel F all week but fell asleep every time I put it on. Trying again tonight, my wife is partying at Timeless festival in Landgraaf, so I probably fall asleep again, earlier.