• D61 [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

All of those words have meanings that have nothing to do with sitting quietly on a flight in quiet meditation.

• ButtBidet [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Rawdogging fights means not wearing a mask in the barely ventilated space of the cabin. This article’s concept for rawdogging makes no sense.

• muslimmarxist [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

This actually doesn’t seem too bad. In a way it’s like a mini digital detox. I don’t really see anything wrong with it. Kinda weird to see ppl here acting like it’s “psycho” to try this. Humans haven’t had any kind of tech for 99.99% of their history, so kinda of just being alone with your thoughts has been the norm and what we basically evolved with. What’s actually “psycho” is thinking that constantly having something entertaining at your call and beckon is normal. To anyone that thinks otherwise, take a deep breath, step back, and really look inward and do some self-crit.

It’s only because it seems to be associated with red-pill stuff that ppl here seem to be so annoyed with it. If it was a marxist that advocated this, would ppl really be so upset? I could easily see Breht from Rev Left advocating for something like this. Honestly this just seems like “bad guy does stuff, so I don’t like” shit. Once again, the western left is basically just “vibes” and “feels” in a weirdly idealist way.

• ClimateChangeAnxiety [he/him, they/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

The weird part to me isn’t the digital detox, it’s doing it on a plane. If you went for a walk in the woods and left your phone at home I totally understand. Sitting out in a hammock with just your thoughts, sure. But a flight? With that constant roaring sound plus the noise of 200 people? Miss me with that.

• Chronicon [they/them]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

From my experience most ppl on airplanes are pretty quiet.

have you never met a baby? because there’s usually at least one screaming baby, various chatter, slightly too loud intercom announcements, etc. and that’s all on the mid-price airlines not the budget.

• QueerCommie [comrade/them, she/her]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Well, if you’re forced to be there, make the most of it? Actually you’re right, I would way rather try to deal with everything while stuck on a plane and then have some free time to be in the woods, but executive disfunction, so…

• EelBolshevikism [none/use name]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

if a Marxist recommended this I would still find it weird also the no snacks and no bathroom breaks bit is objectively weird

also your point about not having digital devices or books or anything for thousands of years is silly because we haven’t had planes for thousands of years either

• Biggay [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Right wingers always make something maybe a little medicinal and good into something a little bit extra weird that a marxist or any normal person would just never think of.

• GenXen [any, any]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I don’t think it’s “psycho”, but I only heard about it from dudes I come off as kind of chuddish flexing about it on social media.

• HumanBehaviorByBjork [any, undecided]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

“this is how we’ve always lived so it’s good” 1) specious reasoning 2) false premise, the airplane is the very symbol of modernity. as an experience, flying economy on a commercial airline bears the most resemblance to a voyage at sea, which was far from a common experience for most people and also the most surefire way we had to drive someone absolutely insane. 3) books

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I think its only because many/most people see flights as stressful unpleasant environments, not conducive to meditation or quiet relaxation. I don’t think its a sign of masculine strength or whatever to sit through a shitty flight with no distractions, but its not “psycho” either, I’m sure it works for some people. Shit sometimes I’ve done it accidentally, it’s the bragging about it and telling everyone about how many jealous DMs you get that is really stupid.

• Bnova [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I had to abandon my cell phone in the airport in order to make a flight home a few months back and the two flights I took, totaling about 5 hours were absolutely miserable. The people doing this are psychos.

• ObamaSama [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I’ve been flying too much recently and, while I bring my deck and have plenty of other distractions prepared, I usually just put my noise canceling headphones on and zone out. With all the stress of travel and life in general I’m rarely in the headspace to engage with anything while flying, it’s nice to just kinda dissociate for a few hours. I’ll need some kind of stimuli for anything more than like 5-6 hours though.

I could totally see rawdogging a relatively short flight, the hardest part for me would just be the noise. It’s a bizarre thing to be proud of though, like it’s some masculine feat to sit still in quiet for a few hours? I understand the modern world has conditioned us away from that but you can absolutely choose to do it whenever. The true alpha gigachad move I wish more of these guys would do is just walk off into the wilderness and never return

• JustSo [she/her, any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

“Rawdogging” is perhaps the worst synonym for “meditating through” that I can think of. I’m sure dudes who rock will come up with something worse soon enough though.

• KobaCumTribute [she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

People basically have to be nepobabies to get a job in journalism to begin with, and then they either need familial wealth to survive on the shit wages and instability or they need to become SEO grifters churning out huge volumes of vapid slop. Those material conditions strongly bias them towards being insufferable in one way or another, whether that’s the out of touch upper/upper middle class failson coming through or the grifter grindset mentality consuming them.

• Egon [they/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I’m pretty sure it’s just because I blast my brains with instant gratification from my phone all day. I didn’t have internet for a week and felt much better.
        Isn’t dysphoria body-based?

• Findom_DeLuise [she/her, they/them]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Body-based, but you don’t necessarily recognize it as such. It’s more a sense that something is off or wrong and you may not even be able to articulate it if you have any mental barriers preventing you from questioning things that you feel are tied up heavily within your own sense of self. Most people do.

For me at least, it was like a low-level depression that tinged everything, and I kept it drowned out by constantly keeping myself preoccupied with other things. I eventually hit a point where it was like an intrusive, self-destructive impulse. Any time that I was alone with my thoughts, I’d have no way of shutting it out, and controlling that impulse got very difficult.

• MaoTheLawn [any, any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I did this by accident when I was 15. 9 hour flight. Solo. Films didn’t download on my phone. Very cheap airline.

I got thirsty, they said they only take cash. I didn’t have any cash. So they said I can only have a cup of boiling water.

Fun times.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I got thirsty, they said they only take cash. I didn’t have any cash. So they said I can only have a cup of boiling water.

gui-better

I’ve taken a couple dogshit flights (redeye across the US in a tiny regional jet, in a little seat I didn’t fit in, with no headrest on a budget airline) but zero water is way over the line. Even the aforementioned one, probably my worst, they gave me a tiny little cup of water once or twice