It’s funny also how his idealized ancap society is a beaurocratic nightmare, in addition to charging you a subscription to the law.

• DragonBallZinn [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Ancapism can easily be defeated when you point out that their oh so precious corporations they want to directly rule us with regularly betray their own free market principles when the moment suits them.

• Tariffs. “Protectionism but it’s ok because it’s for the rich!”

• IP laws and the way they are selectively enforced.

• Capital regularly “unionizes” too, business owners know that they are one class and regularly try to cooperate instead of compete.

• Certain NIMBY laws and zoning. “You see we HAVE to stop building the more profitable infrastructure that’s dense and walkable because muh property valyooz! Plus we can stuff the poors in cars they can’t afford!”

• Thordros [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

“Bad news, detective. We got a situation.”

“What? Is the mayor trying to ban trans fats again?”

“Worse. Somebody just stole four hundred and forty-seven million dollars’ worth of bitcoins.”

The heroin needle practically fell out of my arm. “What kind of monster would do something like that? Bitcoins are the ultimate currency: virtual, anonymous, stateless. They represent true economic freedom, not subject to arbitrary manipulation by any government. Do we have any leads?”

“Not yet. But mark my words: we’re going to figure out who did this and we’re going to take them down … provided someone pays us a fair market rate to do so.”

“Easy, chief,” I said. “Any rate the market offers is, by definition, fair.”

• Owl [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I like how ancap ideology poses itself as opposed to existing governments, yet also permits everything including those governments. It’s the perfect ideology for a frictionless spherical mind.

• TC_209 [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

“Having reviewed the facts of the case, I rule in favor of the Defendant on the grounds that the Plaintiff’s failure to protect her own property constitutes a willing forfeiture of said property. As such, neither insurance company will be required to pay out any money, and since no crime was actually committed, the Plaintiff will be required to cover all legal fees incurred by all involved parties.”

• Sickos [they/them, it/its]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Alright, so all of us get together, of our own accord, and get a lot of guns. And then we take everything we want, and distribute it through some fair system, say, from each according to their ability to each according to their need. And we defend this construct with violence. Lots of violence. But we say it’s totally not a state, just a mutually agreed upon construct. Surely the ancaps would be on board, right?

• barrbaric [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I always wonder, how do ancaps plan to administer a change to their proposed system? Through elections? Through revolution? What happens to existing billionaires when we go ancap? Do they just keep their wealth? What happens to everyone in prison? Let go because it was under the old corrupt system? Is school abolished along with the age of consent?

• TerminalEncounter [she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

The ones who really want it to happen usually think it’ll come about after some great calamity, in the modern day after nuclear war and civilizational collapse. Otherwise they think it’ll just be a mass vibe shift

• keepcarrot [she/her]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

mass vibe shift

Whenever I ask about this, they’re usually pre-occupied with everyone following the ancap’s specific rules rather than whether anyone would be motivated to do or believe in those rules.

• naom3 [she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I always wonder, how do ancaps plan to administer a change to their proposed system? Through elections? Through revolution?

You’re presuming a level of foresight and connection to reality that’s not present for most ancaps. All the ones who actually think about this sort of stuff tend to just be neoliberals

What happens to existing billionaires when we go ancap? Do they just keep their wealth?

Of course. Billionaires are good and if any aren’t then just do more free market stuff

What happens to everyone in prison? Let go because it was under the old corrupt system?

us-foreign-policy probably

Is school abolished along with the age of consent?

It’s cute you even have to ask

• barrbaric [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

You’re presuming a level of foresight and connection to reality that’s not present for most ancaps. All the ones who actually think about this sort of stuff tend to just be neoliberals

Oh I know, it’s just fascinating to me that someone could have relatively radical political views but simultaneously not have any theory for how to actually execute those political views.

• Diuretic_Materialism [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

My experiences with AnCaps, I honestly think most of them are doing a bit. Like I think politically they’re actually just regular Libertarians but they crank it up to 11 to get a rise out of people. They are aware their ideas are bologna, but they’re hoping by advocating for it hard enough they’ll achieve their actual goal, a society where the central government is weak enough that you can marry multiple of your under-aged nieces and smoke homemade meth in your unlicensed car.

Honestly idk why these AnCaps just don’t move to Idaho, their utopia already exists.

• NuraShiny [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I simply pay all the agencies to protect me, then rob everyone of their property and win at Ancapitalism.

These people are so deeply stupid and unserious. You only come up with shit like this if you never had an actual problem in your life.

• HelluvaBottomCarter [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

If you think court fees are steep now wait until You have two billion-dollar security companies duking it out on your dime and then you have to rent a courtroom and hire an arbitration service on top of lawyers.

• BurgerPunk [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I think its a great idea to live in a system where literally any conflict could devolve into a war between to private security firms, but its okay because we have for profit courts which would obviously work perfectly

• Tabitha ☢️[she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

the only property ADT is going to be able to seize from me is the bag of hamburgers I stole from mr ancap, the rest of it is encrypted metaverse synthetic estate speculative futures NFTs hidden in shadow wallet derivatives only I know the assphrase for

• robinnn [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Wait so if I’m not subscribed to a private protection company I lose my rights to body and property, or at least enforcement of these rights? Classic statist arguing for taxation and the limiting of freedom in property ownership!!

Bureaucratic nightmare is putting it lightly, imagine if private courts and “protection agencies” had different standards of punishment, like freaky people can go to Freaky Adjudication and have anyone who steals from them spanked or something

• Wheaties [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

what if instead of a state, we had multiple slightly smaller redundant states all competing to fine you the most while also attempting to offload as much responsibility as possible onto each other and you