For me it’s: Testdisk (and Photorec) Caddy Netstat Dig Aria2

• notabot@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

It’s been years since I had to admin Windows servers, but I was quite impressed with the number of MS products where the install and configuration tools would output the Powershell commands to carry out the changes you’d asked for. It made it quite a lot easier to automate. I’d love to see that paradigm catch on more widely, with the GUI and CLI having the same functionality and the GUI giving you the commands to run.

• Petter1@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I like gui file browser with integrated console window that prints all the commands you trigger by using gui as well.

• Jeena@piefed.jeena.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago
        1. Gimp to batch edit pictures in a script (I know about ImageMagick but still)
        2. Excel to change stuff in excel files quickly (I know about python modules but it’s so complicated to use)
        3. Proprietary VPN software like Cisco AnyConnect, I want to automate the login when I boot, but they don’t let me

Just from the top of my head.

• rescue_toaster@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

pavucontrol. I switch between usb headset and my external speakers all the time. Continually going to this gui is kind of annoying.

• mranderson17@infosec.pub
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I use a little oneliner with tofi (rofi/wofi would also work) to select the current output and avoid pavucontrol. It’s mapped to a sway binding but would probably work in any wm/de:

pactl set-default-sink $(pactl list short sinks |awk '{print $2}' |tofi $tofi_args)

I’m using pipewire so the functionality of pactl is actually provided through pipewire-pulse I think

• rescue_toaster@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

Does set-default-sink change an already current stream? Or do you need move-sink-input.

I’ve looked at the manpages but was a bit overwhelmed and didn’t try to make my own script. Your solution gives me motivation to do so. I also use sway and pipewire. Though I use fuzzel for my launcher.

• oo1@lemmings.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I love programs like freecad despite the really hard/unintuitive gui. 95% of all the modelling i need to do (as an amateur) can be done easily in a python script.

The finishing touches like adding filets and chamfers are the annoying part were gui is easier, due to the way edges are referenced.

Likewise at work, we have to produce a lot of regular reports in excel. All done via python / sql.

• Joël de Bruijn@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

This, but for a Fireshot like tool. Screenshot and pdf of webpages in their entirety by scrolling while shotting. In bulk, with CLI.

• Joël de Bruijn@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

Dont know if it’s illegitimate otherwise 😉

But my user story is like this:

I want to preserve and archive information I used because it’s a reflection of the things I did, learned and studied throughout life.

Then my use case are:

• Orientation about “events”: places to visit on daytrips or holidays (musea, nature, parks, campsites) and looking for practical information and background as well.
          • Gather a “dossier”: info to help make a decision (buying expensive things, how to do home improvement etc)
          • Building a personal knowledge database: interesting articles and blogs.

My current workflow:

• Browse
          • Bookmark extensively
          • Download pdf or other content (maps, routes, images) when provided.
          • Open bookmarks.
          • Fireshot every webpage to pdf and png
          • Save everything with a consequent filename (YYYYMMDD - Source - Title)

I would like to automate the last 3 steps of my workflow.

• plasticcheese@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Rclone. Not because it’s a complicated tool, but because I would like a history of my file transfers and a few graphs to show we what speeds, files sizes and whether the transfer succeeded. At the moment in order to confirm my home backups have succeeded, I have to run a separate size comparisons between my different datastores.

• PseudoSpock@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I’d like a GUI app for generating CLI’s for other GUI apps that don’t have them already. An application is never complete unless everything can be done via a CLI and/or API.

• sparr@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

This is an interesting idea. There are some tools out there to auto-generate shell autocompletes based on standardized --help output. Maybe there’s some possibility to GUIfy that sort of thing?

• Baldur Nil@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I’m not sure how that could even be done, maybe a way to control the GUI with commands that you’d then be able to script, like Selenium on browsers?

• monovergent@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

yt-dlp. Too many options to remember and look up every time, but all useful and missing from GUIs when you just want to dowload audio or ‘good enough’ quality video in batches without re-encoding.

While nmtui is perfectly fine for the CLI-uninitiated, I sometimes wonder why the nm-connection-editor window doesn’t provide the same level of functionality.

• everett@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Too many options to remember and look up every time

This is a good use case for shell aliases. If you can identify a few of your use cases, you can give each bundle of options its own command.

• amanneedsamaid@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

This is what I use (with zsh):

yt-audio() {
            	   yt-dlp --no-playlist -f 'ba' -x --audio-format mp3 $1
            }
            yt-audio-playlist() {
            	   yt-dlp -f 'ba' -x --audio-format mp3 $1
            }

It takes the best quality available and downloads it to mp3.

• dizzy@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

There’s a firefox extension that generates the cli command for whatever video you’re on. Let’s you check boxes for the format, sponsorblock, etc and then copies it to your clipboard.

Just search the addon store for yt-dlp and it should show up

• rotopenguin@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

You can have most of the settings pre-loaded in its config file. I mostly let it do my preset -f, or when that fails do a -F to see what encodings are available.

• rotopenguin@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Btw, here’s my config file.

-o "%(title)s (%(uploader_id)s).%(ext)s"

-P ~/Videos

-P "temp:/tmp/yt-dlp/"

-f 271+ba[language=en][ext=m4a]/308+ba[language=en][ext=m4a]/137+ba[language=en][ext=m4a]/299+ba[language=en][ext=m4a]/231+ba[language=en][ext=m4a]/http_mp3_128/271+140/308+140/137+140/299+140/231+140
        --download-archive ~/.config/yt-dlp/dl-archive
        --no-playlist
        --write-sub
        --no-mtime
        --compat-options no-live-chat

• BehindTheBarrier@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

(Windows only warning, unless someone wants to add Linux support)

I didn’t really search around for GUIs way back, but ended up making a basic GUI because I wanted to learn programming.

https://camo.githubusercontent.com/5ecb6cdfb3710e359894b65e42b79c7ab7dd8de55a14cdf34f0f0f37d48c7d04/68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f346a46776846652e706e67

With just having options as checkboxes for YouTube-dl. It has served me well all these years. It was literally the thing I made while learning programming so the code is pretty janky when I look back at it though…

• kellyaster@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I believe ytDownloader might be what you’re looking for. It’s a yt-dlp frontend, you can export to video/audio pretty easily. And it’s in active development. I’ve used it to export short clips to WAV a few times, nothing too fancy, but so far it works pretty well.

• Petter1@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I use jdownloader as gui alternative for yt-dlp. 😄 It was easy enough for my mother to understand, apparently.

• srecko@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Why would i use something so restrictive as cli tools when i can change the data directly with assembly?

• ian@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Not at all.They are 2 ways do the same thing. The GUI can tell you what options are available. The CLI needs you to memorise them, or go somewhere else to look them up.

• francois@jlai.lu
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

A lot of GUIs have less options available than their CLI equivalents. Moreover GUIs change more often, requiring you to relearn the actions to get the expected result Shells can remember the commands you used, commands are also way easier to write down on paper than a list of actions to do on a GUI And using man or --help is not going somewhere to know the options, you stay in the shell If you want to know all the features of a tool, reading the manual is also easier than browsing all the GUI

The CLI lets the user automate tasks, giving them more control over their workflow

• ian@feddit.uk
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 month ago

GUIs can have just as many options. Sure there are programs with poor UX. Choose a good one. There are also many GUIs with no CLI alternative, or only a poor UX alternative. As the GUIs guide the user, small changes are understood right away. GUIs remember last settings all the time. Great for reuse. If you have to write a command down, for GUIs it need not be perfect. For CLI one letter wrong and it fails. Using man commands is yet another command to learn and does not work with all CLI commands. It is possible to automate GUI commands.

And even if there was some benefit to a CLI, the entire UX is so poor you can understand why most people prefer GUIs. It’s the dominant way for good reason. And why most CLI users use a web browser and GUI email client.

• Strit@lemmy.linuxuserspace.show
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I’d love supported GUI apps for pacman and systemd. I know there are GUI’s out there for them, but they are not supported by the main project, so they don’t count.

• Skeletonek@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I’m missing a good GUI to manage SELinux. It is probably because I don’t know how to handle it but I hate this thing with passion.

• thericofactor@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Anything that needs to be configured with YAML, and Kubernetes in particular.

I mean I get the whole Infrastructure as Code hype (although I have never witnessed or heard of a situation where an entire cluster needed to be revived from scratch), but it should be very possible to make a gui that writes the YAML for you.

I don’t want to memorize every possible setting and what it does and if someone makes a typo in the config (or in the white space, as it’s YAML) everything is borked.

Call me old-fashioned but the graphical ui of something like octopus deploy was a thousand times more user friendly imho.

• Nato Boram@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

That UI is called VSCode

At the top of your .yaml file, you can set a JSON Schema. Example:

# yaml-language-server: $schema=https://json.schemastore.org/prometheus.json

scrape_configs:
        - job_name: caddy
          static_configs:
            - targets:
                - caddy:2019

This way, you don’t have to memorize every possible setting and what it does and risk making a typo in the config. VSCode will just tell you.

• thedeadwalking4242@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I think infrastructure as code is best utilized when paired with software testing and rapid deployment. It allows for a kind of granularity manual configuration doesn’t give you

• Baldur Nil@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I think it’s easy to make a generic YAML editor that all you need to do is to pass a “definitions” file that says all the possible options to show as a drop down or toggle etc.

That would be useful for many projects.

• Rogue@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

A few IDEs already provide some help with YAML. Rider will tell you if you’ve screwed up the YAML for a GitHub Actions workflow, and possibly docker-compose as well

• ian@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Mount a network share permanently on Kubuntu. Non IT people need to do backups too. And Plasma apps can’t access network shares unless they are mounted.

• ian@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Thanks. I’ve tried it. But it’s not a permanent mount. The program needs to be running all the time. And it frequently times out. A very poor experience. Other OSs do much better.

• ian@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

As long as it’s easy to setup, anything would be good. After many years of asking, nobody has been able to suggest anything.

• Yuki@kutsuya.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I’ve kinda grown towards CLI the last year or so. I used to make wrappers around CLIs for myself even haha

• SayCyberOnceMore@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

A single, decent, maintained one for LVM.

Redhat had a couple of goes at this and they suck ass big time and rely on KDE (so no good for any other DE / WM). I’m not sure anything really works, so I’ll say: none exist.