• Rapidcreek@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

All those young women who didn’t want to choose between old white guys now have a choice: someone who stands up for choice.

And you’re going to have to debate a prosecutor.

You’re going to look so weak and whiny either way.

You just had your best month.

It’s all downhill from here.

And someday, not soon, but sooner than you want, you’re going to hear more Guilty verdicts.

And despite the bandage on your ear, you’re going to hear that loud clang when the cell door shuts.

Best of all, you’ll be on the hard, small side of that door.

Alone.

• grue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I’m amused at the notion that Trump’s “best month” includes getting shot at. I hope you’re right and that all the rest of his months are worse than that!

• Passerby6497@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Trump getting shot is the literal high point of his campaign. There will not be another event that had so much potential to turn his campaign around. If that demented diaper shitting fucknugget can’t even get a sympathetic bump from getting a ballistic ear piercing, his campaign is doomed. Especially since his rhetoric change didn’t last 20 minutes.

• worldwidewave@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

The weakest point of the Trump campaign is Trump himself. He’s a known quantity, and given the biggest shake-up in the last 40 years of presidential campaigns, he wasn’t able to keep up the “unity” facade for a single speech. Just a poor and certainly beatable politician.

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

I don’t think anyone honestly believes he was shot.

His ear would be fucking gone.

He got it scratched and as unhealthy and old as he is, he has to be on blood thinners. A small scratch blleds like crazy, and the majority of his voters are probably on blood thinners so they know

• Buelldozer@lemmy.today
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                2 months ago

I’m aware of that Rule but in this case there’s actual research showing that this is disinformation being intentionally pushed by known bad actors.

I’ll remove the offending 2nd sentence but it doesn’t change anything.

• Coach@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 months ago

Downvoted for referencing the community rules? This community is fucked. Truly fucked. I’ve already unsubscribed, but this is forcing my hand to outright block this shit hole.

• Carrolade@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

This is just nitpicking. Being barely grazed still falls under the overarching umbrella of “gunshot wound”, even if it doesn’t conjure the same mental image as we’d normally have.

If a soldier on a battlefield gets barely nicked and goes “I think I got shot!” nobody is going to argue about the details.

• Kyrgizion@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

I thought it was confirmed he was only grazed by a glass shard from a teleprompter, not the actual bullet?

• rigatti@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 months ago

I did see TMZ reported that but I never saw it confirmed. I think that’s definitely plausible. The other poster is implying that the whole thing was fake, which at this point I think we can for sure rule out.

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 months ago

He scratched he’d his ear, I just said that in more detail…

What part are you coming infused about?

• Tolookah
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Reading this gave me good feels, thanks for the morning endorphins.

• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

And you’re going to have to debate a prosecutor.

Everyone seems really enthusiastic about the prospect of another debate, but I don’t think Trump agrees to another debate. Why would he?

• ShadowRam@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Harris just needs to tell everyone he’s afraid to debate her.

His ego won’t take it.

• Passerby6497@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Especially if they lean into the race/gender aspects. Can you imagine how frothed up his base would be at the notion that he’s scared to debate a black woman?

• bradinutah@thelemmy.club
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

He should be afraid. Whatever fear he may have, it’s probably not enough. Sleepy Ramblin’ Don is no match for Harris! He’s afraid of powerful black women. He’s too chicken to take her on and too inadequate. He knows it. We know it. Poor weak stupid Don. Sad!

• ReallyActuallyFrankenstein@lemmynsfw.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Yeah, he won’t. The question is how much and in what way he bluffs. I’m sure his campaign is calculating how long he can wait to cancel before the debate time, without TV stations running the time slot anyway with just Harris.

• Ranvier@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

I’d like to see it personally. But you’re right, it might not happen, he’s already whining that he won’t do it unless the venue is changed from. ABC to Fox News. We’ll see what happens though.

• eltrain123@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

It’s already on the books for Sept 10. If Donny turns tail, Kamala just gets an open platform with the whole country watching to lay out her platform and point out Trump isn’t there because he is incapable of forming a plan he can stand up and defend.

It’s a win-win for her, no matter what he does. His only hope is to play the game and not look like a fool…. Is that possible?

• alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

someone who stands up for choice.

The someone who failed to codify roe when he had a majority and has done fuckall except campaign on it since?

debate a prosecutor.

Trump’s staff would never agree to such a debate, they have to know his brain is nearly as mushy as Biden’s. Then again, I’m usually only surprised by malice or incompetence, which isn’t exactly in short supply over there.

It’s all downhill from here.

The dems barely scraped by in 2020, and that’s with everyone thinking they’re gonna get the most progressive president since FDR.

Instead they got an end to covid protections, quadrupling child poverty, more immigrants arrested than Trump, a genocide, and kids beaten up for protesting that genocide, each of which will decrease turnout among democratic constituencies.

Best of all, you’ll be on the hard, small side of that door.

When you were a kid, how many years did you watch scooby doo before figuring out that the monster is always some guy with a mask?

We been hearing this story for literally 10 years at this point. It always plays out the same, trump is either found innocent or gets a slap on the wrist and it has no effect on the right-wing’s political influence.

If they were gonna lock him up to stop him from campaigning as effectively, the time to do it was months ago

• mozz@mbin.grits.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I have to say I was against replacing Biden, but seeing how salty some of the want-to-kill-America crowd is getting about it, I am starting to warm significantly to Harris

• frog_brawler@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

I was pro replacing Biden up until about Thursday of last week, and then I sorta resolved myself to him staying around. On Friday and Saturday I was hopeful that he’d get some kinda boost from something, somewhere, but I didn’t have any ideas as to what that would be.

When he announced he wasn’t going to be running yesterday I was a bit stunned. I wanted to take a slow approach to processing what was going on.

After reading what I’ve read today, I’m genuinely excited for a Harris / ??? ticket. I think she probably dropped out of the race so early in 2020 because she was going to be given this opportunity in 2024 if she dropped 2020. Looks like it’s working out now. In retrospect, and putting the pieces together today, I don’t think Biden was ever going to be the 2024 candidate; but that the strategy was to wait to make the switch until after the RNC. In hindsight, I am actually approving of what the Democrats are doing for once and not embarrassed that they’re too conservative, or rolling over.

• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

I was pro replacing Biden two years ago, and anti replacing him now. This is a disaster, and I hope Harris can pull it together. It is exactly what Trump and the Republicans wanted.

But I am encouraged by the first steps her campaign has taken. It only makes me angrier at Biden, though.

Edit: Ok downvote me like the candidate dropping out after the primaries and before the convention isn’t a disaster, or it isn’t exactly what Trump wanted.

• alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

My only issue with replacing Biden is that the libs will have a stab-in-the-back myth or some other story to tell themselves instead of “Triangulating our policies to be as dogshit as possible without passing the republicans depresses voter turnout”.

This is a wonderful case study for that. When the dems lose after 4 years of chasing moderate republicans, are you going to blame democrats for the electoral effects of their policies or the masses without any political power?

• mozz@mbin.grits.dev
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            2 months ago

My only issue with replacing Biden is

Not true, I am extremely confident that if I look over your history I can find some instance of some reason why Harris is an unsuitable replacement

the libs will have a stab-in-the-back myth or some other story to tell themselves

No idea what you’re even talking about

“Triangulating our policies to be as dogshit as possible without passing the republicans depresses voter turnout"

I need to make up a little song incorporating half a trillion dollars spent on climate change, massive corporate tax increases, higher wages for working people, and a stronger NLRB backstopping all these union gains from the last few years. I’ve literally typed the list so many times that my brain starts to glaze over and get bored before I can finish typing it.

Honestly, that’s part of why I didn’t want to replace Biden with Harris, is that Biden was inarguably a step forward for people who exist in the non-millionaire world, which our system doesn’t produce all that often, and I was reluctant to let him go.

• AbidanYre@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

I’ve literally typed the list so many times that my brain starts to glaze over and get bored before I can finish typing it.

Just put together the bullet points and let ChatGPT do the rest.

• mozz@mbin.grits.dev
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                2 months ago

Eh, I actually tried that at one point, because the mods got mad at me for copy-pasting a long and detailed list of things with citations that Biden had done, on every one of those arguments whenever someone would ask what Biden has ever done for the average American. I wasn’t happy with the results though. I more or less just resigned myself to typing out the whole list in Jesus-Christ-not-this-shit-again short summary list format.

• davidagain@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  2 months ago

Thank you very much for taking the time and the trouble and for making the rest of us a bit better informed.

• alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 months ago

Not true, I am extremely confident that if I look over your history I can find some instance of some reason why Harris is an unsuitable replacement

I mean I’ve called her copmala and been horrified at her saying she believed Tara Reid at a debate, and then accepting VP because “It was a debate”, but next to the '94 crime bill guy, she looks like a prison abolitionist, and a rapist’s VP is still an improvement to the rapist himself.

No idea what you’re even talking about

You haven’t seen all the articles pissed off at the dems and the news for turning on Biden? Hell even here on Lemmy there were people that way. Even though electorally, only the 65+ “don’t take my car-keys” constituency showed greater preference for Biden than kamala.

• AbidanYre@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

failed to codify roe when he

mushy as Biden’s

Looks like somebody didn’t get the updated script yet.

• alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

mushy as Biden’s

My point is that Trump’s team isn’t gonna agree to a debate unless they’re wildly incompetent at their job, since they have to know Trump’s brain only looks functional next to Biden, and now Biden is out of the picture.

Let me know if you have any other issues with your reading comprehension.

• AbidanYre@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

Thanks, but I’ll pass on any comprehension tips from a guy who thinks Kamala was ever in a position to codify Roe.

• lennybird@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

“Awfully skittish, Toombs.”

Truly, this copium gives me even more hopium. Thank you.

Anyways bystanders observe the immediate tactical pivot to sowing apathy and defeatism.

• twistypencil@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Everyone thinking we’d get the most progressive president since FDR?! What are you smoking. I don’t know a single progressive that thought Biden was a progressive

• _sideffect@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

She’d better start at 150%, going out the gate guns blazing, sights focused on being louder than the Republicans are used to.

The Dems are too soft spoken; they need to be more fierce, especially against the trump party of the last few years.

• Wilzax@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I hate to engage in stereotype, but I really hope Kamala Harris plays up the black woman trope of being vocal and adamant about calling out the bullshit they know everyone can see. We’ve had too many white male presidents who embody the white male trope of failing upwards.

• Plopp@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

That would be really interesting and fun to watch. But cue the “You see this angry black woman 🖐️, typical black woman, we all know it 🫲🫱, totally unhinged👌, imagine the damage she would do, clearly 🫲🫱 unfit to be president.”

• Wilzax@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

The hands really sold it for me holy shit that’s hilariously awful.

I don’t think that kind of response will sway any voters toward Trump who were otherwise undecided, and might push more black Trump voters (I doubt there are many of them left) to switch to supporting Kamala instead

• krashmo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

You say that like this isn’t the game plan no matter what Harris does. Why concern yourself with what Republicans will do when you already know it will be the option only a huge piece of shit would pick?

• mosiacmango@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

the messaging, the advertising, the microtargeting, the ground game, the mail pieces, the digital engagement, the social-media maneuvers—was designed to defeat Joe Biden. Even the selection of Ohio’s Senator J. D. Vance as Trump’s running mate, campaign officials acknowledged, was something of a luxury meant to run up margins with the base in a blowout rather than persuade swing voters in a nail-biter.

The mentality of this Trump campaign, LaCivita once told me, is to spend every day on offense. The team wants to shape the pace and substance of every news cycle and force Democrats to react, ensuring that key battles are fought on the GOP’s chosen terrain. It worked so well that Biden was ruined before his party’s convention. Now the Trump operation is vowing to destroy Harris—if, in fact, she becomes the nominee—in much the same way.

And yet, for a campaign that went to bed Saturday believing that it would dictate the terms of the election every day until November 5, Sunday brought an unfamiliar feeling of powerlessness. For the first time in a long time, Trump does not control the narrative of 2024.

• Randelung@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Man, I hope he falls back into his victim role and can’t get out anymore. 100% of this man is charisma for some reason.