The 17-year-old was having a meal on the floor when she was attacked with a butcher knife Sunday. Officials say they aren’t yet ruling out hate crime charges.

A man accused of stabbing a transgender 17-year-old girl with a butcher knife at Miami International Airport on Sunday was arrested and charged with attempted murder, police said.

Alexander Love, 29, was charged with first-degree attempted murder with a deadly weapon and attempted premeditated murder, according to an arrest report from the Miami-Dade Police Department.

Officers responded to Terminal J around 11:30 p.m. after reports of a stabbing, officials said in a news release. The victim was eating a meal while sitting on the floor when, officials say, Love attacked her without provocation, stabbing her about 18 times in her face, head, arms, shoulders, neck and legs before he tried to throw her over a safety retaining glass, officials said.

• frickineh@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Thank god for the TSA, keeping us all safe from 4oz of shampoo and water bottles, though, right?

• RememberTheApollo_@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

I’m so f’n tired of this shit. Bonus tired for bringing up the tsa low hanging fruit in an area they don’t even check. I’m not a tsa fanboy, but does nobody here remember security before 9/11? You understand that the reason for liquid limitation is that the combined amount allowed was determined to be less likely to be able to take down an airplane if used to make a multi-part explosive?

The contractors hired by the airlines? All the people they couldn’t re-hire on to the tsa because of criminal histories they’d lied about when applying to the tsa after having worked contract security for the airlines? Lucky if they spoke English? All the ones with fake green cards and the like?

Y’all think that was stellar security? Want privatization so we can go back to security where the bottom line is always the focus, your demise is an acceptable risk at some point when calculated on a quarterly report spreadsheet?

Downvote me to shit, but there is no perfect system. This system is a damn sight better than what came before, and while some might call the tsa “security theater”, the predecessor was barely better than amusement park bag checks.

• Zaktor@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Security theater is worse than no security at all because neither provides you protection while security theater has additional hassle.

• frickineh@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

That’s cool and all, but they fail to detect weapons all the time. Just because airport security has never been good doesn’t mean we can’t be critical of them now. They constantly implement new procedures that just plain don’t work beyond making air travel an even bigger hassle. I don’t think Lemmy users are big on privatization ever, and no one suggested that, but this kind of failure is a pretty big deal. Our demise is still an acceptable risk, except now it’s because they hire people who don’t give one single rat’s ass, pay them poorly, and use all kinds of things that look great on the surface but aren’t effective at preventing a guy from bringing a butcher knife into the airport (at what’s usually a pretty slow time of night) and very nearly succeeding at murdering someone.

• RememberTheApollo_@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

Like I said, there is no perfect system. People are people and they fuck up. All the time. For some reason we have this really messed up idea in our heads that when we place people in certain positions we expect perfection. Doctors. Pilots. TSA. Whoever. Zero mistakes. But that’s not what happens, is it? There’s plenty of bad doctors. There’s an unfortunate number of doctors that fuck up. Same with pilots. Same with the TSA. Have a doctor do thousands of operations in a day. See how many mistakes they make. How many patients suffer for it? How many planes crash, or just screw up in ways that don’t result in death but break through some serious safety barriers?

It’s really messed up that we put people in positions and expect perfection, an impossibility, and then criticize them harshly for failure. The only way IMO to deal with this is to strive for improvement while understanding that people are just humans.

I get mocking the TSA. I deal with them every day I go to work. Yeah, it’s frustrating. The rules seem arbitrary and ineffective. But the only way I can balance this is that we need to compare it to what we had before and look at what we’re willing to implement (and pay for) to improve the system. I never hear of anyone with any decent suggestions, so I get tired of people bitching when they have nothing useful to offer.

E: ironic lol that I said “zero mistakes” while immediately promptly misspelling “mistakes”.

• 9bananas@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            1 month ago

the TSA is not “not perfect”; they’re a joke.

it’s pure theater. they have basically no ability to detect actual weapons at all, hence why it’s a common problem when passengers arrive abroad only to find out they accidentally carried loose ammunition across borders.

there’s a huge difference between “not quite perfect” and “completely and utterly useless waste of time, money, and resources”, the latter of which describes the TSA.

IF they actually did anything useful at all, then fine, you have a point. but they don’t, which is why people are disagreeing with you.

because in principle you’re right, that security is required and should be taken seriously…but the TSA isn’t actually providing security. they’re providing the appearance of security.