• Dagwood222@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Reminds me of a Micheal Moore video. He got MAGoos of various ages and asked them 'When was America ‘Great’ and when did it start to go wrong?"

The people born in 1940 thought the problem started around 1965; the ones born in 1960 thought it was around 1985; the ones born in 1980 thought it was 2005…

• TropicalDingdong@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

If only there were an explanation…

At What Age Is the Frontal Lobe Fully Developed?

The frontal lobe’s development process is not linear, and it can vary depending on an individual’s genetic makeup, environment, and experiences. According to research, the frontal lobe is not fully developed until the mid-20s, with some studies suggesting that it can continue to develop into the early 30s.

https://www.nhnscr.org/blog/frontal-lobe-development-understanding-brain-development-by-age/

Gawd I wonder why peoples view of the world typically solidifies in their mid-twenties whatever could it be?

• lemmyman@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Nah, I was born in 1987, and 2012 is definitely when it went to shit with the “tea party”

• v_krishna@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

1985 here, I’d place it with Clinton neoliberalism personally (the left sold out, and the right totally lost their minds as Rush Limbaugh’s proteges started showing up on cable news)

• Kiernian@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

I mean, the lead up to the tea party’s core ideals was already there with stuff like that Imus wanker openly calling the WNBA “Nappy-headed hoes” on his national news show in like 2004-2005. The current hard right, isolationist, bigoted downfall has been going on since rush limbaugh hit the airwaves in the late 80’s. Before the rush era, there was some serious bullshit, but that was the start of not stowing the hoods UNDER the pickup seats anymore. Saying the bigoted parts out loud, in public, and nationwide with blanket tacit approval from roughly half the country really grew legs with that fucker. I think that was 87. Pat Robertson running for president and everything.

The concepts of “us” and “them” started getting real widespread traction with otherwise middle-of-the-road people when rush hit.

• Fosheze@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I’m a 90s baby but I’m still pretty sure Regan was where things started going downhill.

• gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I mean, is it my fault I was roughly 25 when the Great Recession happened? Because I’d peg that as when shit started getting really weird and bad all around. But I also agree that we took a much sharper downward turn in 2016.

(I don’t mean to dismiss the deeply misguided military adventurism the US was engaged in during the naughties, but the question I’m answering here is “when, in your perception, did shit start to go real sideways in this country”?

• Tolookah
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Hold on, as a child of the 80s, things went to shit before 2005. Not saying things continually improve, but the bubble burst that happened while in college really messed with things.

• vaultdweller013@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Reminder they are Republicans. These years also roughly coincide with Republican presidents, the exception being 1965 since that was Johnson. But Johnson is also looked back pretty fondly nowadays so yeah.

• TimeSquirrel@kbin.melroy.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Days after the US supreme court overturned Roe v Wade in 2022, Vance tweeted: “If your worldview tells you that it’s bad for women to become mothers but liberating for them to work 90 hours a week in a cubicle at the New York Times or Goldman Sachs, you’ve been had.”

Does it just not enter into these fucknuts’ heads that it doesn’t matter what a woman does with her life, as long as she is the one making the choice to do it?

• ObsidianZed@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Look at his rhetoric.

“If YOUR worldview…”

“bad for women”

“YOU’VE been had”

He’s only addressing the men about the women in their lives. He doesn’t even care enough about women to address them directly.

• nifty@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Yeah, under the spectrum of feminist choices being a trad wife is one of them. However, you don’t get to tell other women (or men) how to be. That’s feminism, freedom of choice across genders

• jjjalljs@ttrpg.network
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

also it’s not like Republican economic policies actually support single income households where someone can stay home.

They also generally oppose labor rights that would make 90 hour work weeks illegal.

• lolola@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I ain’t been out anywhere damn near long enough for them to now try to make sundresses some kinda symbol of patriarchal domesticity cult bullshit. I’m trans, I’m out, and if the sun’s out too, I’m wearing a sundress. Goddammit.

Homesteading I could take or leave lol

• z3rOR0ne@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

The USA was never great, unless you consider the mass enslavement and genocide of people to be its crowning achievement, which sadly many do, and that is what the Nazi/Fascist/Republican Party means when they say, “Make America Great Again.”

• jimmydoreisalefty@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I think it has to do with the working class; a majority is struggling to live paycheck to paycheck even with both parents having an income. Yes, some remember their parents or grandparents (wathcing families on television) would only have to work 40 hours a week in a single-income home, and that was enough for the family to have a comfortable life.

They were being paid a living wage.

Now the working class continues to struggle while the owner class’s profits hit an all-time high.

This article seems to just be fearmongering for the new status quo agenda (the new PR name is Project 2025), while only calling out “far-right” and not the duopoly that is enabling the struggles of the working class.

These are just more articles that help keep diving for the working class without addressing the real systematic problems our society is facing.

Tradwives first began trending online in 2020, when people were looking to wring excitement and comfort out of the smallest household tasks. Although there’s no single definition of “tradwife” – and many female influencers who’ve been decorated with the label don’t use it or even reject it – you know the tradwife when you see her. She is probably baking sourdough in an immaculate outfit, has a gaggle of kids (or wants them), and suggests – either silently or very loudly, like Williams – that life is better when women adhere to “traditional” gender roles and perfect at-home domesticity and nurturing.

Tradwives portray a fundamentally conservative and individual solution to that societal failure: retreat not only into the home, but also into history. Using the iconography of an idealized past, they evoke the economic and emotional fantasy that families, and especially women, can opt out of the complexity of modern society. Wouldn’t it be nice if you could choose to live on one income? Wouldn’t it be nice if you could choose to stay home and raise children, rather than be forced into it because childcare is so damn expensive?

But 19th-century homesteading, the source of so much inspiration for both tradwives and the GOP – was not a private endeavor undertaken by hardy men and their supportive wives. It was the result of the huge government subsidy program known as the Homestead Act. The 1950s, another conservative inspiration, were also shaped by government subsidies for housing and education – as well as a post-second world war movement to pressure women out of the workforce – that briefly made it economically possible for vast numbers of white American women to live as housewives. (These subsidies were nowhere near as available to people of color.)

The social and economic conditions that made the nuclear family structure so dominant in the 1950s were also exceedingly unique. Except for this post-war period, it has been far from traditional for US families to be made up of a breadwinner husband, a wife who stays home to do unpaid cooking and cleaning as well as 2.5 kids who get to enjoy an extended childhood.

Many so-called tradwives do openly work for money – often through home-based small businesses, influencing or a combination of the two, such as selling courses on how to be a stay-at-home influencer. Like all influencers, their product is their own lifestyle.

Tradwifery is not a monolith, and some of the most popular women who have been labeled “tradwives” by the internet don’t talk about politics or gender roles. But social media algorithms and chatter can co-opt them into conservative projects about femininity and families that these women may not personally support.

After I watched several Williams videos on YouTube, the platform started serving me ads for the Alliance Defending Freedom, the powerhouse Christian law firm that masterminded the overturning of Roe and continues to chip away at abortion and LGBTQ+ rights. In May, Media Matters for America found that watching tradwife content on TikTok led its “For You” Page to be flooded with far-right conspiracy theory content “within an afternoon”.

Despite the tradwives’ popularity, it’s not financially feasible for many women to quit their jobs. It’s not even clear that women want to. Almost 80% of women between the ages of 25 and 54 are now part of the US workforce.

• yesman@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

This idea of a a single income supporting a family is part of that past that never existed. That was never the norm for Americans. (So long as POC and women count as Americans)

Progressives shouldn’t look backward. It’s gross.

• vaultdweller013@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Lets not degrade folks from looking backwards. You can gain a lot of data through historical analysis and maybe even some ideas that can be dug back up and modernized. The problem occurs when folks get blinded by the past. Old World Blues and all that.

• jimmydoreisalefty@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

An economy where people were better off and were not forced to rely on overtime and muiltiple jobs did exist.

Fifty years ago, nearly a third of U.S. workers belonged to a union. Today, it’s one in 10. But the decline has not been the same for every state. Here is a map showing how union membership has changed across the country.[1]

“Those Who Do Not Learn History Are Doomed To Repeat It.”

Tangent critique about labels: When using the word “progressives,” it does not hold any meaning if you do not explain what it means to people; everyone has their own definition of such lables.

A similar situation occurs when we use “far left” and “far right,” because most of our politicians would be considered Republican-lites, even the Justice Democrats (they are closer to Republicans than to people on the "left’, IMO).

I consider myself on the “left,” due to being highly critical of the government, our three-letter agencies, our military, and as well as the MSM; I am also antiwar and for the working class people.

1. [1] 50 Years Of Shrinking Union Membership, In One Map | February 23, 2015 | Quoctrung Bui | https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/02/23/385843576/50-years-of-shrinking-union-membership-in-one-map ↩︎