• LemmyLefty@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I can’t be the only one who can’t parse this sentence.

I’m sorry, can you rephrase this? I don’t understand what you’re trying to say.

• ekky43@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

The title does indeed not make much sense, but I imagine OP is trying to ask: “What grown up music did you listen to that you, and not a grown up, put on.”

Answering that question, the first artists I remember looking up and having on my phone/mp3 Player were 30 seconds to Mars, Foo Fighters, and Linking Park. The latter because it was all the rage when I first got into music, not because the songs were especially good.

• LemmyLefty@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Thank you, that makes sense. I wasn’t sure if the sleep deprivation was just making me (more of) an idiot.

• ekky43@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

NP, OP might as well have been asking what songs turned you on as a kid. I just think the other explanation makes more sense. :p

• Mothra@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Can you please edit the post and clarify what you mean by “turn on”? I’m not smart enough. Thank you.

• dan1101@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Turn on meaning cause the music to play. OP means what non-kids music did you listen to when you were first in control of what music to play.

• Hot Saucerman@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

My first album was They Might Be Giants - Flood.

What can I say, I still have great taste.

Also nice to know my first band has had good politics since their first show was at a Sandanista rally.

I gotta admit though, I first heard them on Tiny Toon Adventures.

• maegul@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Queen. One of their best of albums. And Michael Jackson. Dangerous and History album (which had a best of disc too).

• ccdfa@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Also Queen here. Staying up late sitting on the floor next to the cassette player with the headphones on listening to News of the World.

• DirigibleProtein@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

In the mid 1970s, we could borrow cassettes from the library. I started with Neil Diamond “His 12 Greatest Hits”, then moved on to Electric Light Orchestra, Roxy Music, and Mike Oldfield.

• BassTurd@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I assume you’re asking what was the first non kids music I listened to and picked out myself? Instead of listening to the Lion King sound track, my first CD was Boston’s greatest hits.

• DelvianSeek@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long

Kiss - God of Thunder (Destroyer was the first album I owned)

• sara@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I’m not sure of the first song, but the first music I ever bought myself was II by Boyz II Men.

• Big P@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

The first CD I ever owned was O zone - Dragon Sta Din Tei aka the Numa Numa song. No idea why or where I got it from but I would listen to that on my little cd player

• TheLameSauce@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

My first album was the self titled Gorillaz. If you put it in a computer there was a game!

I’d been listening to my older brother’s music for a while before that though - Green Day Dookie, Blink-182 Enema of the State, Weezer Blue Album, Korn Issues were all in the mix.

• DoctorWhookah@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

My parents were young so I never had kid music. I listened to their stuff. The earliest I can recall I had 45s and albums in my room: Three Dog Night, Eagles- Hotel California, Paul Simon - 50 ways to leave your lover on 45, the soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever. I had several Beach Boys albums, and The Bay City Rollers album whichever one had Saturday Night on it. Oh, and KISS Double Platinum.

• dan1101@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

One of the first albums I purchased was Back in Black by AC/DC. I also purchased a compilation album called Certified Gold. About half the songs on that were good, I remember liking a Pat Benatar song.

Before that I remember having a little portable boombox with cassette recorder and I recorded Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap also by AC/DC and Destroyer by The Kinks. I listened to them over and over.

• ShockDetective@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Found my parents “Business as usual” - Men at work vinyl.

Memorized “Down Under” listening with Sony DR-S5s. I always thought that’s how you were supposed to listen since the cord matched the one on the album cover.