If you say I hate the automotive designers who can’t design properly angled headlights, I’m criminalizing your shit take too

• Acute_Engles [he/him, any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 days ago

1v1 competitive videogames are superior to team and squad based competitive videogames (when “having fun with your friends” isn’t the goal.)

The stigma around people who play multiplayer or competitive games is entirely from team games. I don’t know enough book words to say why, maybe because there’s more shame in being the worst player on a team than there is in simply being worse than your opponent?

Single player rpg/adventure games, especially ones that are “story driven” are boring. If there’s no challenge to the gameplay and it’s the same thing over and over just to get to the next cutscene i might as well watch a movie because at least the story might be good and it won’t take 30 hours.

Monogamy is fine and no better or worse than polyamory

Hardcore style (or whatever you call the karate flailing with the kicking and punching) moshpits are bad and annoying and make the entire set of genres where they are common totally inaccessible to a lot of metal enjoyers. Plus it seems like y’all aren’t picking people up who fall over which is just not cool but that may just be bad shows because I’ve hardly been to any hardcore shows

• SSJMarx@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 days ago

I think the awful nature of competitive online games specifically started with the introduction of matchmaking. The way it works now, the entire process of forming a team and playing the game is as depersonalized as it is possible to be, which studies show brings out the absolute worst in people. Prior to that, playing a competitive team game was a social activity - you had to join a guild or a clan, you had to arrange play time and get to know your teammates, you probably knew your opponents as well because you would do clan wars or whatever with the same rotating groups, and you were playing on smaller servers with a higher ratio of moderators so that people who were assholes (or cheaters) would be corrected or banned more easily.

Even if you weren’t doing organized team play, just playing longer sessions with the same group of people while the teams shuffle every match is better at passively encouraging good behavior because everyone in the server is building a reputation and rapport with each other. It wasn’t perfect of course, gamers were still Gamers back in the day so there was no shortage of shitty behavior, but it was definitely better than what we have now.

• Acute_Engles [he/him, any]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 days ago

You know what that’s so true and u was around in those days but i basically only played StarCraft brood war, command and conquer, and dawn of war dark crusade so i didn’t get to experience the good days.

• Waldoz53 [he/him, any]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 days ago

i specifically dont like any of the sony movie-games (derogatory). such slow gameplay with boring cutscenes. at least give me some wacky and weird cutscenes like death stranding or alan wake 2, instead its oscar bait drivel in video games with boring gameplay in between.

• Dickey_Butts [none/use name]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 days ago

Best punk show I was ever at was in a shitty dive bar and the whole floor was packed and the whole crowd was like rushing back and forth like waves almost, but everyone was making sure nobody tipped over. It was really something to experience. I am also not a pit enjoyer, but good ones do exist, and they’re something to behold.