I have to do a curbside vet appointment and hope that I have enough money to pay for it. I feel like I’m going to die and my emotions are going fucking crazy because of my puppy. She’s been having digestive issues for 2 weeks and I’ve been following everything the vet said. I’ve paid $150 in probiotic supplements and medicine and chicken and rice to help her belly.

• jam12705@lemmy.nexus
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

That sounds a little more than mildly infuriating. Hope you and your puppy start feeling better soon.

• AFK BRB Chocolate@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

That really sucks. I know when I had COVID, I got pretty fuzzy mentally and it made dealing with anything a lot harder. I called into work a couple times to support things I thought important enough to warrant it, and it was really tough. I’m sorry you have to deal with vet stuff and decisions when you should just be able to be sick.

Did the vet check for parasites? As I understand it, usually rectal prolapse in dogs is because they’re straining to poop, either because of constipation or diarrhea. If you’ve already been trying to make sure her diet is bland, it could be something else messing her up.

Is it a really young puppy? They can have generic issues too, unfortunately.

Hang in there!

• LaunchesKayaks@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

My girl is 15 weeks. She tested negative for any parasites a few days before the diarrhea started. She’s 2/3 poodle and I’ve heard that poodles can have digestive issues. She was definitely straining to poop when it happened. I thought she just had poop in the fur by her butt that was making it hard for her, so I gave her a bath and that’s when I noticed the slight prolapse.

• AFK BRB Chocolate@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I’m sure that must be really distressing - you never want to see stuff on the outside that’s supposed to be on the inside. It’s useful to know that dogs prolapse normally - when they poop, a little of their rectum prolapses out, and then it gets pulled back in when they’re done, and that helps keep their butt clean. The problem your girl is having is that it’s prolapsing enough that it’s not all going back in.

Did you happen to notice if get poops seemed really loose or really firm?

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Her prolapse went away on the ride to the vet. -_-

They’re checking for parasites just in case and are shaving around her butt so no poop sticks to it. I was also informed she has properly formed poop that should be on its way out soon.

She’s had diarrhea off and on for a while. Hopefully it’s just a phase

• MTK@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

That is really hard, hope you and your puppy get through this safe and sound ❤️

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Thank you! My puppy’s prolapse fixed itself on the way to the vet, but I was almost hospitalized yesterday from the COVID.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I am. I have really bad asthma, a heart condition, and a bad immune system. My oxygen levels were bad yesterday and I couldn’t break my fever. I’m good enough now to not need to be at the hospital. I can’t remember what the doctors did to fix me up, but it only took a few hours

• Rogueren
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

Really hope you got one of the later variants of covid, they got weaker over time so they may not be as bad. I got it too last year despite being vaxxed and while it sucked the first few days it let up fairly quickly.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

I’m hoping this lets up soon. At least enough for me to talk for a while without coughing. My parents and sister have COVID and my parents suggested we play DND on Saturday to distract us from everything since we can’t get each other sick. I have until then to feel a bit better lol.

• Rogueren
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

Any parents that suggest D&D are automatically awesome in my book

• Urbanfox@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Snap on asthma/heart/immune triad.

COVID sucked way more than I thought it would, people just don’t understand that some folks genuinelys till struggle with it. Hope you and pup feel better soon

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Thank you! I honestly didn’t expect to feel so terrible. I felt a bit better earlier today, then laid down for a nap and felt worse. My dogs both had a grand day just running around, so they’re both just as tired as me. That means I can go to bed early with no consequences lol

• coffee_poops@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I know it doesn’t help now but try some canned pumpkin or pumpkin tablets/treats to help their pooping in the future. If my beagle doesn’t have them his rectal glands get enlarged.