• disguy_ovahea@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 days ago

I’ve met many chihuahuas, and there have only been two types. They were either terrified or horrifying.

• southsamurai@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

Oh man, you’ve missed out.

Chihuahuas are prone to being twitchy in one way or another, but sometimes you’ll run across one that’s just chill as hell, friendly as you could hope for.

One of my jobs was in home health. So I’ve encountered a lot of lap dogs over the years. Before that, I was not fond of little dogs because of the usual yappiness and proclivity towards ankle biting.

And there were plenty of that type lol.

But the first time I met a chihuahua that was well socialized and trained it was amazing. Still a high energy dog, unlike others I’d meet later, but in the enjoyable way. Playful, and would follow me around the house there. But, the little guy was also a cuddler. He’d get up on my chest when I’d lean back in the chair while catching up with my client of a morning and take him a mini nap lol.

I hope you get the chance to meet one of the good ones some day :)

• Ms. ArmoredThirteen@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 day ago

When I got surgery a few months ago there was a person who made rounds with an emotional support chihuahua. Most chill thing I’ve ever seen in my life. Just laying half asleep, in a little over the shoulder duffel bag, getting loved on by half the hospital. That bundle of calm helped me a lot while I was there I got to say hi every day

• AlligatorBlizzard@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

I made a trip to my local smoke shop last week and someone had brought their Chihuahua in, this old fat potato had climbed out of his stroller and was waddling up to people for pets. That’s the first and only chihuahua I’ve met that wasn’t one of your two types.

• 🇰 🌀 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️@yiffit.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 days ago

They’re extremely protective and wary of strangers. Sweetest little dude around me and everyone else he knows; snarling little demon around anyone he doesn’t know despite training and constantly being corrected not to do that.

• WolfdadCigarette@threads.net@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 days ago

Our dog got heat stroke from a sweltering sealed car. After they recovered, it was as if all personality had been stolen from them. Formerly expressive eyes, shining diamonds capable of expressing words people require decades to come to terms with and decades more to speak, suddenly became matte obsidian pits. All they knew from then on was hunger and hate in equal measure.

He lived long and healthily, showered with compassion and love and tenderness. He could understand none of it. Petting was done to him, walks were a measure of acquiescence, and other dogs became a blight to be torn apart. Only food was perceived as kind. They were no longer a companion.

Keep your pets safe, folks.

• sudo@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

How would you feel being imprisoned by irresponsible people who nearly boiled you alive with their negligence?

• WolfdadCigarette@threads.net@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 day ago

Probably the same as an internet person lacking context- angry and confused. We adopted them from a family friend/neighbor. If it makes you feel any worse, they purchased three more dogs across the next decade and sold or gave them all up to shelters.

• naeap@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 day ago

*he’s
    I know, pedantic, but I don’t understand, how someone can think, that this is grammatically correct.
    I just don’t get, how someone can confuse “his” and “he’s”

(OK, need to proof read my sentence now to not fuck myself ;-))

Sorry, I’m misread. Even down voted myself now

Edit: and seems my formatting skills aren’t working out as well.

Edit 2: ok, looks better now.
    Yeah, was wrong and misread the sentence. My fault

• naeap@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 day ago

Ah, fuck yeah I missed the period…

Well, my only excuse is that I didn’t got much sleep in the last… 2 months

Edit: after that fuck up being be so sleep deprived, I’m not confident enough to point out my mistake anymore

• naeap@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        24 hours ago

I think down voting is some style of caring about something?

And I do care. If I’m wrong, I want to correct it

• OsrsNeedsF2P@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 days ago

You’re referring to cars being glass powered ovens. But the fact the sign referred to a heating pad suggests this is probably in a cold place.

I would smash a car window to save a dog or a baby if there were clear signs of neglect or overheating, but this shows neither. The fact you wrote this comment also shows your someone who blindly follows advice instead of thinking about when it applies.

• Fester@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

That is what a reasonable person would do, but unfortunately there are too many people who just want any excuse to smash someone’s window and hope to be called a hero for it. My car has rain guards for cracking windows, remote start to run with doors locked, good climate control, etc. I know my dog would be safe and comfortable for a bit inside of it, but I don’t trust self-styled “good samaritans” or straight-up dog thiefs to not smash up my car and steal my dog.

The result, for me at least, as that my dog only gets to come along if we’re going to all dog-friendly places on that trip. I won’t even leave her in the perfectly safe car for a 10-minute grocery run. I don’t trust people to read any funny or cute sign I make. People are fucking nuts.

• reddig33@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

I deleted my comment. Wolfdadcigarette said it better than I could. I hope you are correct that the inside of the car pictured was a reasonable temperature.

• OsrsNeedsF2P@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 day ago

Honestly don’t delete your comment, I was just taking the opportunity to make a point 😝

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

The quarter glass!

They’re usually more expensive to replace and easier to smash.

Unless you’re actually trying to save someone, and speed is necessary…

Then it’s the side windows opposite where the person is (I.e. of the dog is in the front passenger, the driver side rear.)

This helps avoid causing injuries from the glass shattering

Also, call emergency services first, unless the kid is clearly about to die. (If they’re more or less alert you still have time to pass that liability off.)

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 days ago

I’ve worked security for a parking lot.

We’ve had several instances of people being drunk/oding, several people leaving kids and pets on cars for what would be expected to be 4+ hours.

It was a cop who told me about the quarter panels being more expensive. To be fair that particular incident, a toddler was less than alert but not unconscious. They got arrested for child endangerment/abuse (the cop sat on their car until the event let out and they came back. She was pissed.)

For pets, they’re technically property, so it’s best to let animal control make that decision- there’s some strict rules that might see you in jail. Emergency services can connect you to animal control, so if it’s bad enough they can tell you to do it and remove liability from you.

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 days ago

Another incident that really pissed me off was a couple that locked their springier spaniel puppies in a crate, in the back of a SUV, with blankets over the crate. Sure they cracked the front windows…

But… it was extremy hot weather and the dogs were very nearly dead by the time they got permission to check the crate’s temp anyway- the inside of the car they could measure was just below the threshold for entry. They had to get a warrant to check the crate (which was like 110 f.)

The puppies were extremely affectionate after they got some water in them and cooled off.

• Cadeillac@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  2 days ago

That shit pisses me of so fucking bad. Why do people even bother getting them in the first place? Ridiculous

• Kit@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 days ago

Yikes. I leave my dog in my car all the time for 10 minutes at a time with the AC or Heat blasting. He’s attached to my hip everywhere I go, and when I have to stop somewhere to use the restroom or grab some water he’s totally fine chilling.

• cm0002@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 days ago

Lol smashing a cars windows makes you liable for damages and possibly even criminal charges if the owner took reasonable precautions (I.e. leaving the car with proper HVAC settings on) and no animal or child was actually in danger