Well, Mozilla seems to be making some pretty questionable decisions, So I’m considering switching browsers for the third (Is it the third?) time. The thing is, I really like the way Firefox works, so I’ve been trying out the more famous Forks like Waterfox and Librewolf, although I’m going for Floorp. However, I’m wondering: is using a fork enough? I mean, they are Forks maintained by other people, but is there a chance that whatever Mozilla does to Firefox could affect those Forks? Should I jump to a totally different browser like Vivaldi?

• zkfcfbzr@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    14 hours ago

Mozilla isn’t doing anything to Firefox. The Anonym purchase you linked to was literally to acquire a technology they developed which would, if implemented web-wide, end the dystopian nightmare of privacy invasion that is the current paradigm where a few dozen large companies track everything everyone does on the internet all the time. “Privacy preserving” isn’t just a buzzword in that article - privacy is actually preserved, and the companies involved (including Mozilla) learn nothing at all about you - not your name, not an “anonymous” identifier, not your behavior, nothing. Moreso, Anonym didn’t just create this technology, the entire company was purpose-founded to create this technology.

There’s a lot of misinformation floating around about Mozilla in particular at the moment. Very little of the animosity they receive is truly deserved once you dig past the narrative and find out what Mozilla’s actually up to, and why.

• grandma@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      54 minutes ago

So instead of multiple providers tracking people all the time there will be a single company doing it, but it’s okay because I should trust them for what reason? Why wouldn’t tracking companies just use their own tracking on top of this new technology?

• ArbiterXero@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      12 hours ago

Continuous Mozilla hit pieces coming out….

I wonder which company motivated only by greed and the fact that their entire business model is “obliterating your privacy” is behind them

• flashgnash@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 hours ago

Either you make a deal with the devil or use the company that made the deal so you don’t have to

• warbond@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 hours ago

Limited Liability Corporations exist for that very reason. I think a dude in France made a deal with a cave lion of some sort.

• x00za@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      12 hours ago

It’s absolutely unnecessary.

Ads should be tailored to the content of the website they are on. Not to me in any way whatsoever.

• zkfcfbzr@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 hours ago

Ads should be tailored to the content of the website they are on. Not to me in any way whatsoever.

Then you might be interested in this new technology being tested by Mozilla that aims to replace tracking cookies.

• funtrek
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 hours ago

I don’t give a fuck about ads. And so should my browser.