• Sludgehammer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 hours ago

I’m guessing he was trying to boil water in a aluminium pan and forgot about it? I’m also guessing said roommate must have left, because a burning non-stick coating would be rather noticeable.

I mean, I did something kinda like that as a kid, I forgot a aluminium bottomed steel pan once and managed to melt the base (thankfully with no non-stick coating fumes).

• edric@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      22 hours ago

Isn’t aluminum kinda bad too? Like it’s linked to dementia or something.

• Zier@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        18 hours ago

That is an untruth. There has never been medical proof of this. It was a citation that was read out of context of one random study on Alzheimer. And the internet misinformationed it to the max. Have you heard that you should buy Baking Soda without Aluminum in it? Lie! Baking Soda has NEVER had Aluminum in it. But people constantly repeat this ridiculous myth. Just another fact to ponder, In many Asian nations, aluminum sauce pans have been used for decades (Japan is a great example), and the level of Alzheimer’s is no different than the rest of the world.

• linearchaos@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        21 hours ago

Really old research found aluminum in the plaques once, it was actually from contamination in the water they used to wash the brains for the staining agent.

There’s no solid evidence either way.

IMO the biggest problems with aluminum is

1. a low melting point :)

and

1. It’s reactive to high ph, so you have to be careful what you cook in it.
              • linearchaos@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                7 hours ago

It’s not just cooking that’s the problem cleaning it is where I’ve had most of my trouble. I need to find some stainless steel 1/8 sheet pans. Target sells them in aluminum but every time they start getting grungy, how roll the dice on a little lye to clean them off. I can let them soak for a couple of minutes then basically sand them down to get off deep baked on oils.

• lath@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        21 hours ago

Aluminum vapours are toxic and deadly. Apparently they used to make tanks with aluminum, but then tankies who survived a direct hit inhaled some containing it and died from that instead.

• GenosseFlosse@feddit.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            20 hours ago

The Bradley has it, as well as some earlier tanks that where intended to be light enough to be airlifted or swim across water. Because it’s light, it can trade armour for speed. The Bradley not intended to take out tanks, and only has very few anti tank missiles.