Archive

This is a sign this-is-fine

“The North American economy remained robust overall thanks to the consumption of high-income earners, despite a persistently inflationary, elevated interest rate and deteriorating employment environment. In this context, there was a more prudent approach to consumption, particularly among middle- and low-income earners,” Seven & I said in an earnings release.

Anti trust maneuvering

https://www.restaurantbusinessonline.com/operations/7-eleven-close-444-north-american-stores - Archive

The closures come amid a broader strategic shift for Tokyo-based 7 & i as it works to fend off a takeover bid by rival Alimentation Couche-Tard, the owner of Circle K. The deal would bring together the two largest c-store chains in the country.

Earlier this week, Couche-Tard raised its offer to acquire Seven & i from $14.86 per share, or approximately $39 billion, to $18.19 per share, or approximately $47.2 billion.

On Thursday, 7 & i announced that it is creating a separate company for its non-convenience-store businesses, such as supermarkets and specialty stores, so that it can focus more on c-stores. The spun-off company will be called York Holdings Co.

To further illustrate its c-store focus, 7 & i is also considering changing its name to 7-Eleven Corp.

• after i quit smoking, my convenience store trips dropped by like 99%. it was one of those changes i didn’t notice happening until i was across the street from the one by my house i used to hit all the time, and realized it had been completely remodeled. like a “huh, when did that happen” thing. when i shifted to remote/hybrid work, my driving dropped radically too. all i noticed was i was hardly putting any miles on my car anymore, but again… my trips even to get gas at a c-store were now marked by the passage of months rather than “every week or so”. and since i started limited my snackiness and drinking of nonsense, i have no reason to go inside anymore.

the markup on those places is insane. their value proposition is their location making them the only option for people living in a mutilated community and for people passing through with an impulse, and if you’re not going in for tobacco you can probably get what you’re looking for at those chain joints like Walgreens or CVS… also marked up, but usually not by as much. it feels like with the decline of tobacco and utter dominance of pharma in peoples lives, those places are taking over. it’s no longer “ill pick up some cereal and snacks when i get smokes”… it’s “i’ll pick up some cereal and snacks when i get my pills.”

• Evilphd666 [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

it’s no longer “ill pick up some cereal and snacks when i get smokes”… it’s “i’ll pick up some cereal and snacks when i get my pills.”

Probably going to get some good milage out of this one.