• LoreleiSankTheShip@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    17 hours ago

Not an American, but yikes does this have “Vote with us… Or else!” vibes.

That’s not to say I support Trump, but I personally don’t think this is the way to convince fence-sitters at all.

• rsuri@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 hours ago

It’s exactly the kind of thing that feels good to say, but doesn’t convince anyone at all. Which is why Republicans keep winning despite ideas that should be extremely unpopular. They tie themselves to emotions about masculinity and patriotism and paint the other side as a source of disgust and fear. While Democrats look at people who support or don’t seem eager to stop Trump and say angry things at them, which just makes them not want to help Demcorats.

The “I’m voting, are you?” argument featuring nutty alt-right Maga crazies is far better because it says “hey, you can help stop this nutjob.”

• twinnie@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      16 hours ago

And it’s crazy how normal Americans think this two party system is. It’s like no matter how bad you think your guy is, you have to vote for them because the other side is worse. They always talk about the Labour Party and the Tories as if they think they’re carbon copies of the Democrats and the Republicans and project all their issues into them. They don’t seem to realise there’s like five or six other parties that get a considerable number of votes and have representation in Parliament.

• Eldritch@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        13 hours ago

It is normal in FPTP voting systems. If you are going to vote in a national election in a FPTP system. Especially one with our electoral college system. But aren’t looking to explicitly throw your vote away. And you aren’t okay with open fascists winning. When things are this close. Yeah there really is no conscionable choice. Unless you happen to live in a state so safe your vote truly could never matter. Like california. Which even that would be unwise. And is especially at a place for anyone from there to tell people elsewhere how to vote. Since they don’t have the same privilege.

• ProIsh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      15 hours ago

I mean, yeah? Have you looked around? The or else is getting pretty bad.

Also I want to keep adding it’s not just Trump, he’s just a pawn. This is Republicans, not Trump. If row did anything hopefully it opened up some eyes to realize they have been on message for a long damn time. Dems should take note.

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        14 hours ago

The American neoliberal experiment started in 1992 when Bill Clinton was president…

The prior (edit: Dem, obviously) president was Jimmy Fuckin Carter…

How do you think the Overton Window has moved since Carter?

We can’t afford to keep going with a strategy that clearly hasn’t worked for 30+ years…

• Varyk@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      16 hours ago

you are 100% correct, and I’m glad to see you speaking up here as well.

these kind of posts are disgusting pablum and should be discouraged.

• hopesdead@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      16 hours ago

I’m not speaking from a place of facts, but I think the sentiment is if you don’t purposefully vote for someone within the two-party system that isn’t Trump, your vote will mathematically be a negative towards votes against Trump.

Not voting/third-party vote = one less vote against Trump/more possible votes for Trump

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      16 hours ago

The really bad part is when you see how they react when people point out Kamala moving to the left would guarantee trump loses…

Moderates have been doing this since Bill Clinton 30+ years ago.

They always claim nothing else matters but beating Republicans, and use any excuse to move the party right. When voters complain the politician doesn’t match the party, we get the above.

They’d rather trump win then progressives, so they point a gun at everyone’s head and say it’s our fault if they have to pull the trigger.

Hell, in 08 with Obama they did pull the trigger. PUMA movement had them voting R instead of Obama. It’s just despite controlling the party, they are a statistically insignificant amount of voters.

A few months ago all these people called us trump supporters for making the (still true) statement that Kamala has a better chance than Biden, and they were all saying Kamala would be a terrible candidate and only Biden can win.

They’ll say anything in the moment with no regards to what just came out of their mouths.

• axx@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      16 hours ago

Entirely agree. The people responsible for trump getting votes are the people voting for Trump.

Tactical voting is bullshit of the highest order and the undeniable sign of a fucked up political and voting system, not some sort of political astuteness.

If your voting system can’t allow people to express their true choice, you should throw it away. Yes, that means the majority of voting systems around the world are bad and need to be changed. Getting people to recognise that this is even an issue in the first place is a huge battle.

• dmMeYourNudes@lemmynsfw.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        15 hours ago

Yes first past the post elections are fucked, but that’s still the system we have and the one you have to operate under. If you refuse to vote against hitler because you don’t like the voting system, you still refuse to vote against hitler.

• Grebes@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        15 hours ago

Only one party has implemented ranked choice while the other has fought against it. That would be a great first start.

• Stovetop@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          14 hours ago

That’s not quite the case. Ranked choice voting is resisted by whichever party has a comfortable majority in any given state where it is on the ballot. That’s why it failed when it was on the ballot in Massachusetts during the previous presidential election, because it is a reliably blue state and ranked choice voting would only serve to disrupt that status quo.

I still voted in favor of it, but that’s how it went down.

• Blue_Morpho@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      16 hours ago

The “or else” is you will be remembered as the Trump supporter that you are. That’s not a threat.

• Eldritch@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      16 hours ago

Yes, I understand the sentiment. But the tone is off. Sounding like fascists or Marxist Leninist should be the last thing anyone should be aiming for.