I would say my Hue lights system because I can modulate the lighting to my mood or what I need.

• JackGreenEarth@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    19 hours ago

Not to diss the question, but I’ve seen a bunch of these ‘best purchase’ questions here recently and I wonder if someone is trying to subtly promote a consumerist culture.

• helpImTrappedOnline@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      16 hours ago

…we already are in one?

Yes, the “best purchase” questions are a bit frequent. However, where else can you go these days? Facebook? Amazon Reviews? AI article #28462? Paid YT influencers?

Forms like Lemmy are one the last places you can ask and get reasonable honest human answers for purchase advice. Reviews and troubleshooting are last 2 reasons I go to reddit, and even then reviews over there can be iffy on mainstream stuff.

• Scroll Responsibly@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      15 hours ago

Advertisers on Reddit Lemmy, what purchase fits generic criteria?

Edit: I’m not saying OP is doing that but I tend to believe advertisers were doing this on the old site

• JubilantJaguar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      17 hours ago

Had exactly the same thought. Although I doubt anyone’s trying to promote anything. Consumer culture has just colonized many of our minds, even here.

• fubarx@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    16 hours ago

Membership in the local art museum.

Can go any time and just sit, absorb, and clear the head.

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    20 hours ago

I went from a six year old phone to an iPhone 16 pro max recently, mainly for better low-light pictures of my cats.

I had to bury my oldest last week.

I got a good couple weeks of fantastic pictures of him cuddling us before he really went downhill.

I am so appreciative.

• Drunemeton@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      14 hours ago

Man, is truly sucks to lose a buddy, but I’m glad you got some high quality media of him.

Hugs Rai.

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        13 hours ago

Thank you so much <3

He was perfect. My partner had him since he was a baby, and I’ve been with my partner for about 13 years. He was an icon of our house. It’s weird not having him, but so comforting that most of his life was cuddling, purring like a mad man, and eating like fancy food.

• xmunk@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    24 hours ago

A new fridge where the freezer is on the bottom. I’m quite tall so my natural eyeline is pretty close to the top of our fridge - when I’d have to bend over to see what was in the fridge I tended to turn to the freezer first when hungry… since switching up our appliance I cook a lot more fresh food (and, for bonus points, I enjoy cooking).

• Noble Shift@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    23 hours ago

My 29’ sailboat. I’ve lived aboard off grid for over 5 years now. I’ll never willingly move back to land, I’ll die out here. Under $20k btw.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 hours ago

I do freelance / contract work in IT and marine/boat stuff. I live on anchor for about $2000 / yr, that’s the cost of replacing ground tackle (anchor chain lines parts plus some extra$). No rent.

I fish/crab/lobster, but it’s not enough for full-time subsistence.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            16 hours ago

At anchor, lock it up, have a neighbor look after it, pop a fresh prepaid SIM into the camera, but that’s only like once a year I do this and ‘flyin’. I stipulate only a certain amount of fly-ins a year.

I do primarily remote work, my current employer is based in France and anything I do for work marine wise is local, unless I’m helping with a delivery.

But if I had a 9-5 brick & mortar job, I would just leave & lock the boat, take a 10-20 minute dinghy ride in to shore and tie up / lock up at a public dock (some have a small fee).

• SkaveRat
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 hours ago

Sounds super nice.

Personally, I’ll have to do with watching Acorn To Arabella to second-hand enjoy that life

• Rhynoplaz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 hours ago

2016 Toyota Camry.

Paid off and still kicking. Spent more on it than any vehicle I owned before, but it’s made up for it in the long run by not needing any major repairs.

Taking my car in for inspection used to be scary. Now, it’s just whether or not its time for brakes or tires yet.

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 hours ago

Base building sandbox games. I don’t know why but this genre of games can suck away my stress unlike anything else (since I quit smoking). Oxygen Not Included is the one I keep coming back to.

• finestnothing@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 hours ago

I’ve always been a sucker for Terraria and Starbound when I want to build, factorio for automation, dwarf fortress for planning/management, and cataclysm dark days ahead for survival (not sure if it counts since it’s free and open source - do NOT buy it on steam).

I greatly prefer games with a lot of mechanics that I can get lost in over ones that look really good with minimal functionality which is too common nowadays imo… I also like art styles of these games a lot

• kyle@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 hours ago

Still in Early Access, but wishlist/try Mind Over Magic. Same devs and it’s awesome. They plan on the 1.0 release in January I think?

It has the same feel for scheduling/prioritization, though toned down from Oxygen Not Included IMHO.

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        19 hours ago

I’ll check that out. Thanks for the tip! Klei is awesome. I have many many hours into the Don’t Starve games too.

• BrianTheeBiscuiteer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    23 hours ago

Motion activated lights. I can probably count on one hand every time they’ve annoyed me. Otherwise having a light be on all day in a room I barely use would be 10x more frustrating.

• ericatty@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 hours ago

We got some rechargeable motion activated lights. I love-love them. They last a long time. Less tripping over sleeping pets trying to go to the bathroom. Yes, I could turn a light on, but I don’t want to be blinded, half asleep, and used to just shuffle in the dark. Plus when the power goes out, these still work, which is a bonus.