• LalSalaamComrade@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

Not really - it can’t be used with Atlassian’s products, violating point 6 of the OSI definition - No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor.

• ReversalHatchery@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 hours ago

I really don’t understand the difference between free software and open source at tis point. It would make sense to me if this would make it nonfree, but I don’t understand why is it not open source anymore. Isn’t the open source definition a broader one than that of free software?

• brisk@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          21 hours ago

Open Source Software follows the Open Source Definition, while Free Software follows the Free Software Definition.

They have heavy overlap, one is not a subset of the other, and they are similarly restrictive, just shepherded by different groups. I’m sure there are licences that satisfy one but not the other, but they would have to be few and far between; just reading through each it’s not obvious how one could satisfy only one definition.

• ReversalHatchery@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 hours ago

It’s clear that it’s not free software, because as the name suggests, that’s about freedoms.

What is not really clear is that it’s not open source. To me at least it means that the source is public, you can change it, use it, send in patches, etc, but possibly with some limitations.

• jeinzi
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          21 hours ago

Short and not completely true answer: Free Software and Open Source are the same thing, just with different reasoning behind them. Hence “FOSS” and “FLOSS” are also used, which combine both terms.

• gerdesj@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          21 hours ago

If I give you a free beer, you have one beer. If I give you the recipe, you can make your own beer. You do have to make your own open source beer or you can hire someone to do it for you or perhaps take you through the steps a few times until you’ve got it. With luck there will be a community of open source beer brewers with whom you can interact and improve those recipes.

Free software is free until it isn’t! The illicit drugs industry works in a similar way (the first hit is for free).

• jeinzi
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            20 hours ago

Never read something more wrong about the subject. I sounds like you don’t actually know what Free Software refers to, and that it has nothing to do with the price.

• menixator@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              17 hours ago

Yeah the free beer thing is what I use to explain what the “free” doesn’t mean. “Free as in freedom. Not free as in free beer.”

• Vik@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

And despite that, if was still newsworthy enough to be posted like 6 times in total 😅

• schnurritoOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        24 hours ago

I posted it to 8 communities because there are 8 communities I am aware of where this on-topic. Some people might be subscribed to only a subset of them. This is the natural consequence of the fediverse enabling us to have more than one community for discussing the same topic.

• Vik@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          24 hours ago

I suppose some instances cut others off as well (I see only 6 total) so you have a fair point

• Andrew@piefed.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          23 hours ago

To my mind, the ideal would be that if you, as the person who wants to share some ‘open-source’ news, chose one community that you think is ‘best’ (based on what instance it’s on, if the mods are real people and are active, participation levels, whatever you think really). And we, as subscribers, would do the same. This way, the ‘good’ communities would thrive, and the ‘bad’ ones would wither away. What happens at the minute, is that there’s 8 communities for open source, and there’ll always will be, because they aren’t in competition with one another.

(this is mostly just a general point about cross-posting behaviour, it’s not meant as a dig at you personally).

• schnurritoOP
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            23 hours ago

problem is I have no idea which of these communities is “best”, I do not pay enough attention to things going on behind the scenes to have any knowledge of that.

• Kelly@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              17 hours ago

problem is I have no idea which of these communities is “best”

Its a bit basic but so far I’ve just gone with the largest population. Usually I’m just after the most activity and that generally scales with population. It keeps things relatively simple.

• Quail4789@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                7 hours ago

this’ll just mean whatever’s in .world or .ml will eat up all the other communities. Biggest doesn’t mean best.