cross-posted from: https://lemmy.world/post/21109313

I went to vote today in Georgia USA. People showed up wearing bed sheets over them. What is this supposed to communicate exactly??

• PrincessLeiasCat@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 小时前

The fact that there are no other images of this is odd, but assuming it is at an early voting location today, perhaps they are pretending to be “ghost voters”:

As that drama played out, readers asked Snopes to look into social media posts and media stories reporting that multiple counties in the U.S. had more registered voters than voting-eligible residents. One such story was published by the Washington Times and headlined, “Judicial Watch finds 1.8 million ‘ghost voters’ in 29 states, warns of ‘dirty elections.’”

Judicial Watch, a right wing legal activist organization, claimed to have discovered in an October 2020 study that “353 U.S. counties had 1.8 million more registered voters than eligible voting-age citizens.”

Source: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ghost-voters-in-29-states/

• Ganbat@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      36 分钟前

Some further important context, the ‘comparison’ Judicial Watch made to come to this conclusion was based on, on one side, ‘the most recent voter registration data for counties’ and on the other, a math-based population estimate collected over the course of five years.

It’s kind of like claiming that Johnny, age eighteen, is a different person from Johnny, age thirteen, based on height difference.

Edit: A better analogy might be standing in front of Johnny, taking off your glasses, and then demanding the blurry blob tell you what it did with Johnny.

• 1rre
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 小时前

spooky month 👻

• grue@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 小时前

This is not my picture; I only crossposted it (original was in !nostupidquestions@lemmy.world ). I also only did so because it was apparently being deleted and I wanted it not to be lost (sorry if it’s a loose fit for the community because of that).

According to OP, it was an early voting location in Georgia. The thread was deleted 9 hours after being posted, with a score of 125 and 36 comments.

Edit: the deletion my not be as nefarious as I assumed; there’s a similar thread in this community that (as I write this) still exists. https://lemmy.world/post/21116630

• atrielienz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 小时前

If I had to guess it’s to protect their identity so that they can vote without being harassed. But I will fully admit I only looked at the picture and didn’t click the link or anything.

• Nurse_Robot@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 小时前

Weird, your linked post seems to be gone now

Edit: actually, I can’t find any of the original posts. And when I try to Google it I can’t find anything either. Wtf

Edit 2: okay, it took some digging but by searching all of Lemmy by comments and filtering by time, I was able to find the two original posts. Both have been deleted, I assume by moderators? And I can’t find anything when I reverse Google search the image. Something smells fishy. For SEO: Georgia election; election interference; voter intimidation; KKK; sheets; ghosts; early voting; Cobb County

• pezmaker @sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 小时前

I can’t tell if the original post is an elaborate hoax with a link that never worked in the first place or if something is legit happening. Why would there be lines to vote already? Maybe I’m naive and early voting is that difficult in Georgia that people are lining up now. I don’t know, my ballot gets mailed to me by default and I can just walk up and drop it off any time up until polls close on election day. This feels like it’s a post to sow discord but 🤷‍♂️