• Talk to other music nerd friends, sift through the algorithmic recommendations of spotify/ whatever, browse music forums that match my tastes, use a song identifier to catch random ones in public…

There are lots of ways to find new tunes in 2024. I mostly listen to albums rather than individual tracks so hearing one good song usually leads to several from the same album/ep/lp

• the_radness@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 hours ago

I suppose it depends on your tastes, but I read Pitchfork reviews and check out the artits on Spotify. I do not limit my tastes to one genre, so that makes it more interesting when exploring. I’ll also leverage the Related Artists section of an artist’s page if I find a new artist that I like.

• henchman2019@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 hours ago

I quaff the grape’s nectar and doth play diverse melodies from Spotify until I chance upon a tune that pleases me.

• Diddlydee@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 hours ago

I go on Pirate Bay, search through new uploads, then check their videos on YouTube. Found plenty of gems I’d otherwise not have encountered. Also on LastFM. Type an artist you like and it will suggest similar artists.

• tetris11@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 minutes ago

It chases you down a dark alleyway and has its way with you? That’s dark, man.

• TheBananaKing@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 hours ago

I spent about 20 years getting stuck in the past while the culture got away from me; I just hadn’t got into any bands since the early 2000s, and it was getting pretty sad.

I also have pretty bad ADHD - music fucks up my ability to concentrate on language-based tasks, so I can’t just play stuff in the background while I do something else - and sitting there staring through multiple songs in a row just isn’t going to happen.

So I had a great idea: turn it into a game.

I nuked my youtube data completely, started again from scratch, and set out, not so much to discover new music, but to train the algorithm to fetch me cool stuff. How well can I nudge the thing into a model of stuff I tend to like?

• Open the home feed, and start going through it
    • Reaction videos, influencers, other garbage, hit don’t recommend channel.
    • Any music videos, open in new tab
    • Rinse and repeat until I have a ridiculous number of tabs open
    • Go through each tab:
    • Skip through representative chunks of song, get at least 20 seconds of music in before making a decision
    • If you just don’t like it, close the tab and move on.
    • If you do like it:
    • If it’s not posted by the original artist account, go find the original instead if possible.
    • Hit like
    • Save to playlists for whatever genres it seems to fit, plus a catch-all list (set public, for reasons I’ll explain)
    • Open a few new tabs off the sidebar
    • If you find three solid bangers from one artist, subscribe.
    • When you run out of tabs, refresh the home feed.

It’s adjustable to suit my attention span at the time - if I need the dopamine I just skim more, if I want to chill I let it play longer.

It fits into spare minutes of downtime at work etc.

I have discovered SO MUCH amazing new music, and my tastes have expanded in all kinds of directions. I’ve started not only recognizing but actually having opinions on bands I see on posters as I walk down the street, which is just plain ridiculous for me.

I have gone down some weird and amazing rabbit holes, from Armenian music to Femtanyl.

Probably the best thing I’ve ever done, srsly.

Sometimes the algorithm can get stale, and you end up with a streak of bland, safe stuff that all seems the same.

When this happens, find one of the many third-party playlist-shuffle sites (because the built-in shuffle is still horribly broken), and feed it either your main playlist or some of the genre-specific ones you feel aren’t getting enough love, and listen through a bunch of songs there to dredge up the silt. (you may need to open them in separate tabs; the embed doesn’t always update your watch history properly). And this is why the lists need to be public, so third-party sites can browse your playlists.

• PrimeMinisterKeyes@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

Yeah, I’ve had a realization a few days ago when I checked out about a dozen songs that had north of 10 million views on YT, but I’ve never heard of them, at all, or of the artists behind them. And all of those were from some 10 years ago. So I guess my taste in music is kind of frozen in time and I’ve been trying for a while to complete collections of “old” artists rather than getting to know new ones.
      I do get occasional inspiration from the folks at I Love Music, though.

• pr06lefs@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 hours ago

I’m mainly interested in old time fiddle tunes. I get them from youtube recommends sometimes, or from going to jams and hearing a cool tune, or someone I play with wants to learn a tune. I often post tunes I like on my old-time music lemmy community.

• jjjalljs@ttrpg.network
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 hours ago

Bandcamp mostly. They do writeups sometimes like “the best metal from Colorado” or “a deep dive into acid jazz”. They seem to be human written too and not ai slop, at least in the past.

Also seeing who’s playing with who. If I like band A, and band B is opening for them, well I’ll check out band B. I saw “Year of the Cobra” play with “The Well” and it was a good show, and I bought their album.

• jan75@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

Yup, Bandcamp. You can also click on “Genres”, then clicking on any genre will propose further subgenres. So currently i’m in a atmospheric black metal phase. Going to “metal”, “black Metal”, then “atmospheric black metal” shows me bands i might like.

Obviously genres are very fluid and sometimes subjective, but as a general tool to find music they work for me.

• willya@lemmyf.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 hours ago

Through my Apple Music “New Music” weekly playlist before I canceled my subscription. It does a good job so long as you actively love and dislike tracks.

Now I have a local library that syncs with last.fm for every play and you can discover new music and artists through there.

I’m no longer on it but instagram was actually a great way to discover new artists. Seems that meta will be a significant player in the music industry (major UMG deal) soon as well so who knows what’s coming there.

• theskyisfalling@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 hours ago

I browse and occasionally contribute as you know but I really think the community would benefit from some organisation in the form of post title rules over there.

Having a standardised “artist - track title” format or even “artist - track title (genre)” seen as it is such a varied selection over there would really make the browsing experience a lot better than a massive list of just song names in my opinion.

I was going to make a post on the community about this but seen as I see you here I thought I’d just make the suggestion directly to you. I think it would be a positive thing for the community going forward :)

• FrostyTrichs@walledgarden.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 hours ago

There’s definitely merit in what you’re saying but I’m also fine with it staying how it is.

The idea is that it should be easy to share what you have on, but we’re all using different services. IMO the easiest thing is using Lemmy’s title filling feature which is the song name by default with Spotify links. I believe the other services like YouTube and tidal work similarly.

Many of the posts in that community are made by members while they are working, which also makes me hesitant to enforce title rules on them. Quick and easy posts are easy to blast out when all you have is a second or two. Maybe in time as it becomes more than just a handful of people posting it should be revisited.

FWIW I’m ok with the communities I create never becoming popular on Lemmy. Most are created for a small group of friends to mess around on where other services don’t fit the bill. I’d much rather have fun posting when the mood strikes than worry about fitting a particular posting guideline. If like-minded people happen to join in, awesome. If not, we were having fun before and we’ll continue to have fun without them!

• theskyisfalling@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 hours ago

Yeh fair enough, just thought I’d give some feedback from my perspective, I appreciate not everyone uses it in the same way.

Either way I’ll carry on posting occasionally :D

• FrostyTrichs@walledgarden.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 hours ago

Constructive criticism or meaningful suggestions should be welcomed imo, and when opinions differ reactions like yours are some of the best. I appreciate that you aren’t hellbent on everyone fitting in the same box! Seriously, thank you for the civil interactions!

Footnote- I typed out a long-winded post about fediverse philosophy and decided this isn’t the place for it. Maybe in another thread.