• chingadera@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 hours ago

Damn, they charged him with a terrorism charge. About fucking time we started rolling these out.

Two counts of unlawful discharge, Two counts of shooting at a nonresidential structure. Three counts of committing a terrorism act. Three counts of criminal damage.

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 hours ago

Before you feel to satisfied with the cops and prosecutor:

They could have arrested him 2 years ago when he was cutting up and stealing signs…

But the cops literally said they were too scared, and the prosecutor agreed that was a valid reason not to charge him

Despite evidence pointing to Kelly as the perpetrator, Weich said law enforcement did not move to arrest him. Weich said that Phoenix police feared that approaching Kelly would pose a threat to their safety. A prosecutor out of the Phoenix City Attorney’s Office declined to pursue charges, Weich said.

So they let him run around for two years until he shot up a Dem campaign office three times and was driving around with machine guns…

Kelly was arrested about 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday during a traffic stop. Kelly’s attorney Squires said his vehicle was stopped using a grappler that hooked the car from behind. “That is quite shocking to a person who’s never had any previous allegations at all,” Squires said in court.

Squires said in court the car was then surrounded by more than a dozen law enforcement personnel.

The prosecutor said Kelly had numerous guns in his car, including a machine gun. He did not have his cellphone. Similarly, no cellphone was tracked behind during the shootings at the Democratic office, the prosecutor said. That led authorities to believe he was on his way to “potentially do something,” the prosecutor said.

• BrokenGlepnir@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 hours ago

I understand about being scared of a guy totally loaded on guns, but if the government doesn’t still do their job in spite of it, they are unable to govern in this case and have ceded their authority as a government.

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          4 hours ago

You misunderstood…

When they were too scared for their own safety it was in 2022 when he was stealing signs from people’s yards or cutting them up with a pocket knife.

The candidate had to hire a private investigator because cops wouldn’t investigate, and in the report it mentioned he showed signs of far right Christian extremism (his target was a Jewish Dem).

Cops said they were too scared to do anything, and the prosecutor refused to press charges.

Because cops were two afraid of a pocket knife, he kept going to the point of shooting up campaign offices and carrying a machine gun along with other weapons.

The cops allowed the situation to become more dangerous because they were afraid to step in.

• BrokenGlepnir@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 hours ago

No, I understood. The cops were scared for themselves. I understand that, but they need to do things anyway or they are not doing their jobs as the cops. It weakens the mandate of the government. These guys didn’t do their jobs so the only good justification for the police having any power falls apart.

• HootinNHollerin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 hours ago

They got him while he was likely on his way to do another shooting, with machine guns in the car and left his cell at home. They stopped his car with a hook strap that wraps around the wheel of the car. Police knew about him from incidents 2 years prior…

• Spacehooks@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    12 hours ago

I never understood why you need that many. Like in one location. Like are you opening a store? I recall the 1 guy had a bunch of guns so he didn’t have to reload. But like 100s? You cant carry that many. Literally more guns than blades of grass on lawn.

• hddsx@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 hours ago

I mean, you’re not going to use all of them at once. Maybe you have your everyday carry pistol, and a few more pistols that you like to shoot. Maybe you have a few rifles dedicated to hunting for the family. Maybe you have a few rifles that you shoot at the range for fun. Maybe a machine gun or two just to have one.

Hang on, that’s still less than 20.

Maybe he collects them?

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 hours ago

No no, this is the southwest. He’s holding that for a friend. Whose trying to trying to get the Road Runner. Always buy Acme TNT! Nothing blows up in your face better than Acme!

• KinglyWeevil@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 hours ago

He’s gunna go blow up an old computer monitor on BLM land a mile and a half down the road from the sign that says, “absolutely no tannerite” if he’s anything like my friends, lol.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 hours ago

Well now I’ll be disappointed if they don’t find a wooden sign with “YIPE!” printed on it.

• halcyoncmdr@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 hours ago

If you believe the propaganda that Democrats want to take your guns and were on the verge of a civil war, then it makes total sense.

• catloaf@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 hours ago

You drastically underestimate grass.

But he could just be a collector. Maybe he likes war movies or action movies and likes collecting the same ones that they used or built in the movies.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 hours ago

The south west is a red/orange desert of death with few patches of green. Nothing you say will change my mind! Fake AI video news! Seriously though, I was Mostly referencing: "There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass” attributed to Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamot in ww2. First thought I had when I saw 120 guns confiscated. Murica!!! Yeehaa!!!

I gonna cast doubt on collecting as a form of Fandom but I will welcome being wrong.