• kava@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    16 hours ago

at 76 with a reasonable amount of wealth under his belt, I’m surprised he was even mowing his own lawn

• herrcaptain@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      16 hours ago

I think for some people it’s like a form of meditation, especially for those with a big lawn and a riding mower. I don’t personally get it, but that’s the vibe these guys give off.

• precarious_primes@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          14 hours ago

My wife’s parents have a decent plot of land and always go out for a mow when they’re bored of us. I guess it’s better than staring at their phones.

• aslkpoqw@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 hours ago

100% agree. I love putting on headphones and mowing my lawn. Somehow it’s relaxing. Shoveling snow, different story…

• SlapnutsGT@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      15 hours ago

I get it. We can easily afford someone to come mow our lawn but that’s quiet me time that I need so I’d much rather do it myself.

• SlapnutsGT@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          14 hours ago

My noise cancelling headphones work great and my mower’s electric. It’s not loud at all.

But I’m mostly saying “quiet” to mean being away from other people

• meco03211@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            14 hours ago

Had a friend and his wife move in with us for a short time as they were moving to our city for a new job. They offered to help with chores and whatnot around the house, and he specifically mentioned he could help with yard work. I told him in no uncertain terms that that was my “me time” and he was to never intrude on that again. He chuckled knowingly.

• SlapnutsGT@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 hours ago

Yup, I had a friend crash with us for a bit to get back on his feet and I had the exact same convo with him. Nah dawg, you can do the dishes… yards mine.