As Reddit melts down, users are fleeing to lemmy, kbin, tildes and more.

• cyberian_khatru@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It says it’s not so much a replacement, but rather you might want to use it if you want to follow a particular community irrespective of the platform/format. For example, right now there are several games whose communities are more active on discord servers than any of the other mentioned websites including reddit.

• BobQuasit@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Except communities on Discord aren’t search-engine-facing, so they’re a complete dead end. Nobody can discover useful information there unless they are already members of that particular community. It’s the “walled garden” effect.

• ThunderTenTronckh@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Discords can create their own forums, with static posts people can respond to in dedicated comment chains. I think the potential is there, but discovering discords you want to join is currently very difficult.

• dangblingus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Not really, you just google the thing you want + “discord server”, follow the invite link, and if it isn’t what you want, just leave the server. It’s 1 extra click of the mouse than searching for a sub on reddit.

• legion@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

“immediate responses” is the problem. Chat discussions are very different in nature from forum-type communities. Often a lot more noisy and a lot less substantive.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Not really. Well moderated servers with large user counts are always divided into relevant channels where noise is suppressed by the mods and actual conversations occur. It’s nowhere near as chaotic as you think it is.

• PixxlMan@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

It’s also unsearchable from any search engine, becoming a black hole for information etc… Unfortunately

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 year ago

Not true. You search the discord server you want to join, follow the invite link, and boom, you’re in the server. Start talking to people, ask the community questions, and receive immediate response. If it’s not what you’re looking for, it’s easy to leave the server. Reddit isn’t popular solely because it’s posts appear on google search results.

• PixxlMan@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 year ago

I’m not just talking about popularity. To be frank, communities moving to discord is a problem imo. Discoverability is, frankly, garbage. Information provided by others users cannot easily be found at a later date, and even then YOU DONT KNOW where the information you might want could be. If I want information on an old game for instance, on a reddit or Lemmy like platform searching for the game would yield a result, on discord I’d first have to find out which communities exist and then search each one separately, filter out the garbage (Discord conversation is a lot harder to parse and a lot less information dense than Lemmy or reddit)… This leads to having to ask again, old information might be lost and much time is wasted, both for the person asking the question and the ones answering, for no benefit. Hope you can see my perspective here

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

No. Don’t be obtuse. Discord hosts special interest groups that can converse in real time and make sticky threads to be replied to forum-style.

• x4740N@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Pretty sure tildes has an issue with the admin turning a side eye to particular user accounts who bully people on the platform

Though I learned that from someones comment on redddit in response to someone else talking about tildes and I can’t be bothered to go and find it because it’s reddit

• Turkey_Titty_city@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

i was on tildes for a few months. anyone who offers any dissenting opinion, however mild, is harassed by the bullies on the sub and they the admin bans them for ‘causing trouble’

it’s very much a ‘say what everyone else says, or else’ type of place. the admin wants it it to be his own little internet hugbox

• WheresYourShoe@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I was going to ask how to get an invite, but if that’s how it is, I’ll stay away. I love how positive and friendly it is here and Lemmy.

• cod@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

What’s wrong with opening the link on Memmy? I just did it and it worked fine

• cod@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Fair, I get that. I just wanted to know if there was something I should’ve known about, glad there’s no real issues!

• vitriolix@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

“Lemmy does not have upvote and downvote buttons”

uh… don’t downvote me for posting this

• fsk@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Switching to Discord is pointless. That’s switching from a website controlled by one evil corporation to one controlled by a different evil corporation. Discord is still in hyper-growth mode, so they aren’t going to be adding user-hostile features for awhile. Tilde has the same problem.

• Margot Robbie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Discord is still in hyper-growth mode, so they aren’t going to be adding user-hostile features for awhile.

Outside of the username thing.

• BitR1ot@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I don’t like the username decision but it didn’t seem hostile to users. People seem to pick a username, update their server profile, and move on. My account is old enough that I picked my username pretty early in the process though.

I agree that casual users likely found the discriminator confusing, though I never verbally shared my username with people. It didn’t seem like a strong enough reason to warrant the change.

Why do you consider it hostile? I doesn’t seem like it has degraded the overall experience.

• Simpsonator@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I’m not OP but I have a friend that was pretty miffed about it. He had the same username on several platforms and on Discord he shared the name with a couple people. One of them apparently had priority and now he has to tell people “I’m blah on x, y, and z. And on Discord I’m blah123.” It’s not the end of the world but just gives him a reason not to share his Discord.

For a platform looking to maintain and grow users, it just seems pretty shortsighted to inconvenience even 5% of users. If the rename had led to some kick ass feature I’m sure people would be fine. There just doesn’t seem to be any tangible benefit for existing users.

• nightscout@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yep, it’s not searchable and just another corporation. It’s fine for certain things but it’s NOT a replacement for Reddit.

• ozymandias117@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

As far as I can tell, it’s another centralized platform as well? I’m hoping we learn from the mistakes of reddit and move back to a less centralized forum

• Cobe98@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yes. Might as well go back to reddit then going to another centralized platform.

• L3s@lemmy.worldM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I don’t disagree, but it’s definitely a shame the decentralized platforms are hard for the average user. Most want a video feed, ease of use, and loads of content. While we are getting there with content, the other two are currently lacking.

Hopefully we can make the ease-of-use thing a reality, it’s not realistic to explain to non-tech people how to utilize Lemmy, kbin, etc. Most will lose interest really fast

• ozymandias117@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Reddit already wasn’t a video feed, so if that’s the requirement, all of these platforms are dead.

I agree to the rest, though. Even as a more technical user, the barriers to reading/commenting between different instances so far are obviously needing improvement.

• L3s@lemmy.worldM
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

Reddit already wasn’t a video feed

100%, but users are all about whatever is easiest. With Reddit, they don’t need to click a link (most of the time) to watch a video and instead can just scroll, and watch. So it’s not really a “video feed”, but it still had an easy way to view videos.

Hopefully we see similar here, as that would draw a bigger audience IMO. I understand the storage limitations currently, but there are ways to embed videos from other platforms, this wouldn’t be as ideal (ads, modules, etc), but I think would be something that draws a lot of the video-lurking crowd.

• nucleative@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I wonder what the atmosphere at reddit HQ is like this week.

Phew we really fucked that up, but glad that’s over! Now let’s get back to finishing up these new mod tools and releasing a great mobile app and finally releasing the fix to the video player

-or-

fires! Spez-ssistant: “Mr. Spez, another investor is blowing up my phone all morning, can I transfer the call?” Spez: “No, hold my calls, I’m searching for a PR company. Did any of those other ones answer your emails yet?” Spez-ssistant: “No Spez, they all said they are too far booked out on this submersible company thing” Spez: “Dammit! What about our moderators?” Spez-ssistant: “Bad news, the top subs are full of literal buttholes and there is nobody to delete them now that we banned most of the mods” Spez: “What if I promote you and all your friends, can you guys stay on top of this for a while?” Spez-ssistant: “I just got an email from CircleJerk Securities, it says they are pulling out of the IPO!”

*Edit: I see that my battles with formatting will continue

• deadlyduplicate@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

More likely they are expecting this to blow over and people to return to reddit. This isn’t the first-time people have called for a mass exodus and they are expecting it to go like it has before.

• Dark_Blade@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It all depends on whether or not lemmy can prevent itself from devolving into an ultra-political shithole, without becoming too restrictive.

• Jfkevorkian@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Well how many people do you think actually left Reddit or care? Not counting the mods, maybe 0.1% of Reddit users???

• krayj@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

finally releasing the fix to the video player

This has been so hopelessly broken for so long that it’s basically become a meme of its own. It’s been so broken for so long that its actually kind of impressive…in a bad way.

• grue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Spez: “What if I promote you and all your friends, can you guys stay on top of this for a while?” Spez-ssistant: “I just got an email from CircleJerk Securities, it says they are pulling out of the IPO!”

You forgot the part where Spez-sisstant says “but if we exercise that much direct editorial control, we’ll fall afoul of Section 230 and lose our DMCA safe harbor.”

(But then again, I’m probably giving too much credit to Spez-sisstant.)

• levochemist@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I set up an account on Squabbles but I hope Lemmy/Kbin really take off as I would much rather not deal with another company.

• Dick Justice@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Indid too but it hasnt really clicked with me the way Lemmy has. I sppent a little time in there, and its super slick love the UI, seems to hve a lot of active ontact coming up, but it also seemed pretty heavy on memes. I’ll still checknit out some more though. I like trying new stuff

• WhiteTiger@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

It’s super pretty and easy to use compared to kbin/lemmy and I think that alone is going to get it a lot of traffic. Which is great, anything to make it easier for users to leave reddit.

Unfortunately it’s pretty much only cat posts and calls to make sure nobody that’s not part of the reddit hivemind is allowed to exist there.

• Dick Justice@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Yesh… I haven’t dug in a lot tbf, but the default front page at least was a looot of low effort shitposts. To be fair, I did dip in on the day they first got inline pic previews, and everyone was clearly giddy about it.

I want to go back and sub to all my active interests, maybe block a few of the more active cat pic-style communities, and see if I can curate something more personal to my own use. Oh, they have hace a great mobile app too, I think called pulse?

• TerryLeopard@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

I was trying out squabbles too. It says it wants to be a mix between twitter and Reddit but it feels much more twitter than Reddit to me.

I never liked Twitter one bit.

• BobQuasit@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

But aren’t Squabbles and Tilde both not federated, and therefore potentially subject to changes or even an IPO by the owners?

• wjrii@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It is not. It is openly a business bet by the dev/admin. I was on it for a bit. It’s not a bad community at all, but honestly most of my subs on Reddit aren’t either.

If I were going to subject myself to the whims of someone’s business plan, then all drama aside, it might as well be Reddit’s, at least until the place actually crumbles.

• 640kb@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The irony is that reddit is creating its own competition - when before there was nothing.

Back tracking a few years when digg began to self-destruct, reddit was, in fact, a viable competitor.

Reddit never had a competitor until reddit itself, through the sheer incompetence of its gaslighting CEO, forced the creation of multiple (now) viable competitors.

• PupBiru@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

yes and no: lemmy released in 2019, so let’s not sell the fediverse short! people decided that a federated forum-like platform should exist irrespective of reddit’s current implosion!

i think it’s important to acknowledge that these platforms exist not only because of reddit’s incompetence: they have value regardless (ie, even if reddit does a 180 ;) )!

*edit: of course you’re totally right that reddit has helped to make the platforms viable competition with their exodus

• SurrealVision@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Reddit never had a competitor until reddit itself

4chan is a competitor, a shitty alternative, but still a competitor

• nahida@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Voat came out in 2014 and was kinda big for a while. I used it for a few weeks, but activity started dying down and I didn’t think about it again until I found out it was being shut down in 2020. The Wikipedia article says many of the users migrated from subreddits on the right of the political spectrum, so maybe that’s why.

This time it’s different, though. The recent drama affects way more than just a couple subreddits.

• Nurgle@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Not being able to make an account on tildes kinda stopped me from even giving it a chance. Like I get they have valid reasons, but I want to curate my content and be able to be able to make the occasional comment.

• Cobe98@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Why does discord look like a mess. I just can’t get into it. The UI/UX seems off.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It is getting messier. They just did a complete UI overhaul about a year ago. The logo is worse and there’s more Nitro ads, but ultimately it’s still the same experience it ever was. A more feature rich IRC.

• grue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I at least agree that it’s definitely Lemmy/Kbin for now.

I’m not completely sure about “for life,” though, just because it’s too soon to be sure that ActivityPub will be resilient against all threats and won’t need to eventually need to get replaced with something even more corporation-resistant (e.g. fully peer-to-peer, or perhaps even a darknet).

• Drunemeton@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

From that article it seems like Lemmy has the best shot of replacing reddit! Not only was it listed first, it’s description was the most approachable.

• nevernevermore@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think it’s relatively redundant in the fediverse which wins because all federeated instances reep the benefits of eachother (except I think maybe tildes)

• Dark_Blade@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s because Lemmy’s the most Reddit-like out of the alternatives, and anyone can make an account. It’s gonna be confusing for a while (especially the whole concept of the fediverse) but this might be our best shot at preventing the overcentralization that all these dotcom moguls are trying to peddle.