• SkyezOpen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Just in case it wasn’t obvious, this is bait. No ABU cards had the tiny copyright text at the bottom, just artist credit.

• TimewornTraveler@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Can we just bootleg magic cards and play the game? Or is MTG not fun enough on its own without the collecting part?

• eagleth@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Yes. They’re called proxies. Some people are fine with it, some aren’t. It’s not legal in tournaments obviously but some communities/syles like CEDH are fine with it.

• balls_expert@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

obviously

It doesn’t seem obvious to me how that gives a competitive edge to anyone unless the skills involved are browisng ebay with a lot of money

• Syrc@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

It’s obvious if you consider TCG companies literally thrive on selling pieces of paper for far more what they actually cost them. If everyone could just print their own deck no one would buy packs anymore.

• CryptoRoberto@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Aren’t you supposed to own the card to use a proxy? That’s like the whole meaning of the word right, substituting for something. Not just making a fake.

• finestnothing@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Proxy doesn’t mean substituting for something you already own, it means something standing in place of or representing something else. In the case of mtg, people use proxy cards to stand in for cards that they don’t want to spend hundreds, thousands, or hundreds of thousands of dollars on but want to play with casually

• mihnt@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I’ve been to game stores that allowed proxy play as long as you had the original card. (For FnM)

They usually had the same rule for foreign language cards.

• DV8@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Foreign language cards are entirely legal in official competition. I bought many of my dual colour lands on eBay from a German dude. Always passed deck inspection. Granted that’s literally over 20 years ago and I never placed higher than 17th in qualifiers, but I can’t imagine they changed that rule.

• Stovetop@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              10 months ago

Presumably the store wants you to buy cards that you don’t have from them, yeah. But luckily that isn’t a universal rule.

• mihnt@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

It’s a way to drive business for sure.

I did love the foreign language card rule though because all the game stores near me don’t have that rule and there’s assholes that run full kanji decks so you end up having to sit there with your phone pulling up each card they play if you can’t remember each mechanic on the card etc. And since the matches have a time limit they use it to win by default.

• uriel238@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Considering the whole CCCG design is lootboxes but for card games, requiring proxy holders to actually own the cards gives legitimacy to WotCs use of dark patterns to take advantage of cognitive biases and whales (people susceptible to gambling-related dark patterns).

So asserting one has to have an original is to condone the abusive marketing practices used in the game.

Which, as a sober MtG addict, I do not.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

There are some communities that are all about deckbuilding and allow participants to just make proxies of anything they don’t have.

Typically in such games cards like Black Lotus are too far outside the power curve and are pre-disqualified. Most MtG tournaments only allow cards from the current basic set, the last major expansion and whatever minor expansions have been released since. And Black Lotus is no longer in print.

In fact, the lesser Lotus Petal was restricted then banned for being still outside the power curve.

• mihnt@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Some people play competitively and will buy only the cards they need off the second hand market.

Netdeckers do the same thing.

• Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Or magic underwear or race relations or gender relations etc…

In fact, maybe don’t ask a Mormon about anything.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

The only games in which Black Lotus is legal is so that those who own an original have a place to play it.

It (and all the big Type A Tourney Guns) gives a considerable edge to whoever draws it, so games are better served by both players just agreeing not to play it.

• Fitzsimmons@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

There are periods in the game’s history where various formats were well designed and balanced and thus had a wide degree of viable decks, making the game generally enjoyable to actually play at both a casual and serious level.

Unfortunately practically nobody can agree on when those times actually are.

Draft and seald formats have also been consistenly popular and they completely exclude the collection aspect.

• Spike
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Game itself is a ton of fun. If you and your friends just want to learn the game you can just print out the cards, no problem. Or if you want realTM cards you can get a starter kit with 2*60 card decks for about 10-15$ from your local game store. (Or amazon if you are in a remote area with no Game Stores.) They are not the best decks, but they are balanced to each other and the cards are simple enough for new players to navigate.

Better Magic Cards do mostly 2 or 3 things at once and can combo with others or are just great by themselves. Not that worse Magic Cards can’t combo or anything, they just need more setup or can be a bit niche in their usefulness.

• DV8@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

When I still actively played and wanted to try new decks easily 10 of my cards were proxies. No point in spending €20 on a rare if it won’t make your deck better. The people I tested with did the same. We didn’t even bother printing them though. We just wrote the name down and the properties if we didn’t know them by heart.

And like others stated there’s many formats including ones that even prohibit rare cards.

And before WotC came out with a decent online way to play we also had an online client in which you could import all the cards ever, though I doubt it was superlegal.

• Kyoyeou (Ki jəʊ juː)@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Commander is a ton of fun, and it you have a cool group you can proxi some of your cards that’s all good. I’ve personally bought only 3 cards in the last year of playing, I had a lot of fun playing, and I’m impatient to find somewhere where I can play where I am moving

• Kyoyeou (Ki jəʊ juː)@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I can agree that’s why I dont buy more. (And Warhammer is way worst when I looked I didn’t even imagine touching it)

Commander is played by 4 person. Each player has a deck of 100 cards. All 100 cards except lands are different. There is no copy of a card. You also have 1 card with the tag “Legendary” which is outside of the deck and that can be played at anytime. He is your commander. When he comes to die, he doesn’t, and simply goes back to his commander zone, and you can summon him again latter.

Everyone has 40 HP, and the great thing is when there is 4 people, that you talk with other players, and most of the time, better player can help less knowledgeable explain the cards other have and explain why someone is strong, and most often this will create an alliance where, if someone gets way stronger than the 3 others, he is temporarily playing in 3v1 until he is lower than someone else.

It creates a sort of convivial time where people get the time to play what they want, with a but of randomness because on 100 cards you don’t always have exactly what you want, and it’s overall fun, you can play anything, and this cycle of the best vs the 3 others that comes and goes on its own makes it more enjoyable for people of any level.

For exemple I play what is called a Precon. A deck that I bought in a box and I didn’t change too much. For the cost of 40€, and I still had fun with people at my table with decks they paid 100, 200 or a guy that printed all his cards and had a deck worth about 800 to 1000 euro (although he was a competitive douche complaining everyone was always on him, which, yeah that’s the concept, if we don’t you win). Anyway, anyone has his chances and I with my 40€ deck could still win and once I found the game mechanic that I liked, I didn’t have to spend anything more!

• LazaroFilm@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

This is madness! You need to protect this card. My personal tip: use clear packing tape to cover the card and protect it.

• 🇰 🔵 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️@yiffit.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I know nothing about the collecting side of things and I have cards from like the second generation or so when I got into it. I am pretty sure I have some Black Lotus cards since I was a fiend for Blacks. Are they extremely rare? All my MTG cards are just loose in a big bin in my closet.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Curiously, very few cards of a color had the color listed in the name. At one point, the only thing that colored a card was the color of the mana required to cast it, or if the color was listed in the rule text.

Some black creatures turned colorless when they hit the table. (Some green cards painted green anything they intereacted with). And blue had some spells that would change other cards swapping out rules targeting colors or land types. So a protection from black could be turned into protection from green or whatever.

One of the seasons got really into color interaction but by then I had gone sober.

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Far more exciting to me than seeing an original BL is to see one of the early-nineties runs of counterfeits that were superfakes and were higher quality print and finish than the originals.

I suspect the ones that remain are worth more than authentics.

• jildifjortt@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I use bookprintingchina.com to print my game card, I start 100 copies for the first order, the quality superior, and the price is cheaper than in USA. They responded to my emails promptly, and all my questions, doubts, and concerns were always clarified.