Tracking calories for weight loss, I realized that milk is “heavy”, and I poured a lot of it into my coffee. Now I can think of better use for these calories (in solid form) in my <2000kcal deficit plan.

• rstein
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Soy milk has about half the calories as cow milk (and is friendlier for climate), perhaps that can save your coffee.

• SnorriSturluson
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

absolutely, but sadly it’s much more expensive, at least here in Germany.

• kephalosOPM
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

EU subsidies and competitive pricing stuff happening for cow milk (it’s one of these products supermarkets consider essential and thus they aim to compete with Aldi prices). Also for soy products since they are considered “lifestyle” products producers and stores assume they can make more profit from those.

• rstein
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

And here in Germany we have a VAT (MwSt) of 19% on plant milks and 7% on cow milk. Because cow milk is „essential“.

• tatzelkatz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Discounters like Aldi or Lidl are selling soy and oat milk for prices only a little higher than cow milk.

• rstein
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Just an acquired taste. I missed the taste of milk for half a year. Now 5 years later I prefer my brand of soy or a barista oat milk.

• kephalosOPM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

If it works for your tastebuds it is a nice option I guess, I rather drink coffee “black” or non coffee though as I could not get used to the taste or rather it just does not generate that satisfactory feeling for me…

• tyler
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

How much did it add up to per day? I don’t drink milk so I had no clue it’s so caloric dense.

• kephalosOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

From 140 to 240 Kilo calories for me depending on the day. As I stick to <2000 kcal I can definitely budget something else for that amount

• Arwenac@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

It does depend on how much what milk you use, how much milk you use and how many cups of coffee you drink. I think 50 ml of semi-skimmed milk (1.5% fat) is around 22 calories. Now if you keep it to one or two cups that is pretty doable I think. But it does depend on you budget.

I try to eat between 1200 and 1500 so I do think every bit helps. Plus I only drink one cup at work so it is doable.

But I’ll be honest I mostly drink no milk in my coffee anymore and just use some artificial sweetener. But I might splurge on one with frothed milk sometimes.

• Eirini@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I drink a lot of coffe and tea and use a lot of milk. It can be around a whole litre of milk per day. I switched from oatly barista (610 kcal per bottle) to Alpro almond no sugars (130 kcal per bottle). Is it as tasty? No, but these 500 kcal extra calories are enough for a whole meal and it helped me lose weight without giving up on my coffee habit.

• cyberic
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Interesting, I always thought of it as mostly water. How long ago did you make this change?

• BetaAssimilation@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

For me I just had to be a lot more thoughtful about it. I still use about a quarter cup (~60ml, 37cal) in my morning tea, but instead of having my tea like that 4-5x a day, I have 1-2 cups of tea like that and then have switched to other teas that I don’t put any or as much milk in. So I didn’t cut it out entirely, but I definitely did reduce my usage.

• defcon42
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I switched from milk to black a couple of months ago.

• smokelessndepressed@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Join us at !coffee@lemmy.world and learn how to make a great cup of coffee. I didn’t like black coffee before either but with fresh beans and a Hario V60 it became a lot more enjoyable. Now, a few years later, it’s a hobby for me (and a lot of other people).

• JohnnyEnzyme@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Heard THAT!

Even veggie milks seem so high in Kcals, altho getting -plain- veggie milk without sugar does help from that standpoint.

When I make coffee these days, I just use some of the powdered stuff. As a non-coffee connoisseur, it’s ‘good enough,’ and low in BS kcals, salt, sugar, etc.

Another substitution I’m head over heels with is using plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream and even cheese, to an extent. It’s impressively low in calories, a decently-tasty substitute, and full of nice probiotics for gut, brain, and total-body health. :-)