As usual in the comments, programming.dev chuds care a whole lot about performatively not caring and get enraged at the thought of other people caring, thus the advocacy for Brave Browser entirely on the basis of “melting snowflakes” the way thumbheads roll coal because they want to “trigger” people that would prefer an inhabitable environment. morshupls

• FuckyWucky [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

brave literally has a scam cryptocurrency wtf. if you hate firefox that much use its forks like Mullvad Browser (you dont have to use vpn).

loser soyfacing batchesting clowns

• WayeeCool [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Even better is the money-man early backer of Brave was Peter Theil. Peter Theil is the reactionary alt-right billionaire who founded the CIA In-Q-Tel backed Palantir, a company infamous for selling big-brother-as-a-service to the US nat-sec apparatus. I don’t trust anything he has his fingers in, especially if it is claiming to be selling you privacy while browsing the Internet. It’s just like how Elon Musk, another billionaire who like Theil was raised apartheid South Africa, claims to be promoting freedom and privacy by buying Twiter.

If you care about privacy and an open web, stick with Mozilla Firefox and avoid honeypots like Brave.

• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.netOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Programming.dev chuds in the Lemmy federation want to “melt snowflakes” a lot more than they actually care about privacy and they’re fine with walled gardens on the internet if they think they will have the keys to them. grillman

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

In the comments:

Haters gonna hate. Make FF great again and people will start coming back.

Make FF great again

Why are cryptofascist dogs barking all across the neighborhood? sus-soviet

• raven [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

If Firefox goes under or gets to a low enough % of users on the Internet, companies are going to stop supporting it (kind of already are) which would be literally handing the Internet to Google to make all the rules, decide which technologies to deprecate, which to introduce (web attestation for example). Good luck getting a new browser to be supported anywhere after that.

But they refuse to engage with that, they go on the defensive. “You will pay for disturbing my quiet enjoyment of treats frothingfash

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Check out this recent whopper:

Mozilla wants to censor and cancel people, harder. And Google is the king of censorship.

I’m going to stick with Brave.

It takes a special level of galaxy-brained techbro computer toucher to be fine with spyware and malware and insidious social manipulation as long as they can say the n-word on the internet.

• BelieveRevolt [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

People in the comments defending Brave or saying the article is shitty: climate change denier, edgy sexist username haver, freeze-peach guy, anticommunist troll on Lemmygrad, person unironically talking about snowflakes and doing the ”libs triggered” bit

Sure isn’t changing my preconception of Brave being a chud browser.

There’s also this gem:

All I read is cryptocurrency hating.

Yeah, hating cryptocurrency is good.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

All I read is cryptocurrency hating.

All the chud reads is people not liking planet-burning grifts that make kiddie creeping techbros richer.

• ShimmeringKoi [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

de-volition “You are currently clicking the link for a browser that will try to sell you a cryptocurrency every 15 minutes. Why?”

de-visual-calculus “From the look of this UI and logo, the crypto grfiting was priority number one.”

de-endurance"He’s not kidding about the visuals."

de-volition “Taking emergency action.”

You come to sitting in your computer chair, facing away from your desk to look out the window. You can’t remember what you sat down to do, but you get the sense it wasn’t important.

• Hohsia [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Libertarians being so pro-open source and still believing the things they do is one of the greatest mysteries of our time

• RunningVerse [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I’ve been seeing this recently now where people are trying to say that understanding emotions about how you feel about something is dumb if two other people disagree with you.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

wtf-am-i-reading

How does that work?

“I feel good today!” niko-happy

Two malding chanlords: “No, you don’t. You’re deranged and (suicide demand here).” frothingfash frothingfash

• RunningVerse [none/use name]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Two more chuds: makes video about you “HEY GUYS THE WOKE ARE TRYING TO MAKE YOU CRY AND IF YOU DO, THEN YOU ARE NOT A MAN!”

and then a black Chud appears: “Yeah man, I don’t ever show emotions. Dead ass like a Wall when I get called a bitch by my dad!”

And then a pick me appears: “I like guys who literally make themselves emotionless, anyone who says otherwise never had to swim in men tears.”

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

Then the chuds that drool over the cam girl’s podcast/stream/OnlyFans “THAT FEEEEEMALE DOESN’T DIRECTLY AND EXCLUSIVELY PANDER TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (avalanche of death threats here)”

• janny [they/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Could you please share any good alternatives? I’ve been unaware of these issues until now and to be honest, I doubt that I see myself expending the energy to read this article.

That being said, right now Brave provides a very easy to use ad-free experience that is great for running youtube in the background ad-free. It’s pretty good for listening to lectures on youtube and performs much better than podbean which often freezes randomly, a bug that is pretty bad given that I listen to alot of these things while driving and am unable to fidget with it.

Is there a similar browser that has these functionalities that works as well or better? If so I’d gladly switch over and encourage my partner to do the same.