So, as far as I can see, the meme “summoning my pizza slaves with a bourgeois app” has achieved legendary status on Hexbear, mostly as a form of satire, to make fun of it. That’s the full version I could find:

“I do self-criticism constantly because I’m trapped in a Maoist cult where comrades (white terrorists) criticize me mercilessly for having a fascist credit card (VISA Silver Signature Rewards). They won’t let me order vegan pizza anymore because the phone is fascist and “summoning my pizza slaves with a bourgeois app” is “bad vibes”

Now, I find myself in a country where these delivery apps have arrived relatively “recently”, sparking a vast social and political uprising. Workers are indeed treated extremely poorly, with NO job security, and they operate in a legal grey area (like, they are de facto employees, but they are treated as auto-entrepreneurs… neoliberal dream to destroy workers’ rights).

Adding to this, the working conditions can be quite perilous. In my city, traffic is notoriously chaotic, and cycling is dangerous. But not potentially dangerous, bodies-on-the-street-every-month dangerous. While we do have a well-established public transportation system, the city’s bike infrastructure is still quite underdeveloped, and cars dominate the roadways.

I’m aware that there is no ethical consumption under capitalism and yadda yadda. However, I find this particular form of consumption especially horrible. This is a highly walkable city with a wide range of food options readily available, making it unnecessary to rely on food delivery apps. And it really does feels like “summoning my pizza slaves with a bourgeois app". Mostly racialized workers, working dangerously in grey areas of law.

Have you normalized food delivery in your lifestyle? How do you deal with it? How do you navigate these ethical concerns?

• ReadFanon [any, any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

It might not apply to your country’s conditions but here in mine lots of restaurants run delivery services parallel to the third-party Uber services and the like.

So, for example, most pizza restaurants here will have their own staff who they employ as kitchenhands etc. that also get tasked to do delivery or, when it’s peak hours, they have dedicated delivery staff on shift.

Instead of ordering from an app like Uber, I will intentionally order from restaurants directly because the money goes directly to the business and to paid staff who have better working conditions than what Uber offers.

• blight [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

my shoes were probably made by prison labor, but i need shoes and i can’t afford fancier ones.

i don’t need instant treat delivery, nor can i afford it, but if i could, i still wouldn’t use it.

• WoofWoof91 [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

in the situation you describe, i would not order pizza even if i could afford it, that crosses the line from “no ethical consumption” into “fuck the workers! i want my treats!!” territory

• D61 [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

If you can order from a place that has their own delivery crew instead of through an app, do that.

If you absolutely MUST have something delivered (don’t scream at me, there’s probably cases we could justify) its probably okay to do sometimes.

But I’m gonna say if you’re able to get the things yourself and constantly use an app based delivery service… there’s some self reflection that needs to happen.

• NewAcctWhoDis [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Pizza places, at least in the US, have delivered for a long time, to the point where even 20 years ago it would be weird if they didn’t have employees doing deliveries. It long predates services like Uber Eats and Door dash, although those may have taken over delivery or inserted themselves as middlemen in the ordering process.

That said, from what I’ve heard pizza delivery is a bad job that pays pretty much nothing other than tips, so maybe it’s always been bad.

• GaveUp [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I’ll use it sometimes because a lot of items are actually cheaper than getting takeout because of the commute costs (I have no car and live in a neighborhood with minimal food options)

If you’re gonna use it, tip well and if you live in an apartment, let them drop it off in the lobby instead of making them come up to your door

• BelieveRevolt [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

The comrades (white terrorists) are right. I’ve never used any of these apps, but then again I mainly cook for myself anyway. Last year, the biggest food delivery company here was sold to DoorDash and I got to read so much so-true about what a great success the company was while mostly ignoring the conditions of the workers, sorry, entrepreneurs.

• mkultrawide [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I got food delivered to my home for the first time in probably a decade a couple months ago. I got food poisoning and got some groceries delivered.

My parents rarely if ever ordered delivery. My dad would always just drive to wherever we ordered from to pick it up. I think it was partly like his quiet time for the day, and also my parents just not wanting to pay delivery fees or tip a driver.

I have used the apps to get food delivered to the office maybe 20-30 times max over my working life, not counting the times where it was like an office wide link for lunch that they were paying for.

• Lerios [hy/hym]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

yeah, i figured it was a product of growing up extremely rural and this stuff being new to me - now that i actually live in range of delivery places i’d much rather walk 10 minutes than order anything delivered. its a mix of guilt and social awkwardness. i’m not sure that the guilt part actually makes sense materially, because if i just walk instead, yeah i’m not bothering anyone but surely that also means a worker isn’t getting paid? i’m not sure if my way is better or worse, but as a Fellow Poor i just feel incredibly bad about the idea of economically coercing someone into doing unnessecary shit for me. nice to know its not just me being weird.

although very occasionally places send me offers or free shit thats only accessible through one of these delivery services and i can’t really afford to turn down a free/cheap meal deeper-sadness

• Zeppo@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I’d rather go to the restaurant myself or cook on my own. I don’t really want some random person picking up my food and bringing it to my house.