And, how did you get to know them? And how long did it take for you to think of them as your best friend?

• Dharma Curious@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

My best friend (we refer to each other as soul friends. It’s like soul mates, but without the romance. Haha) I met while working security. I’ve worked security a long time, mainly solo posts. I hate working posts with another guard. Ended up working 20 hour shifts with him, stuck in an 8x8 shack with a 4 hour turn around. 12 shifts back to back. Never once ran out of conversation. Bestie for life.

• BitSound@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Definitely my wife. She likes to remind me though that I shouldn’t just rely on her, and should socialize more. When one’s spouse dies, men tend to die quite quickly after their wife dies, because men aren’t good at making new friends or keeping up with existing ones over time. Women tend to be much better at both of those. Kind of macabre, but she’s not wrong.

• nhoad@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

My wife is my best friend - we do almost everything together and she knows me better than anyone else.

• krimsonbun@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I feel like they get me and they make me feel like a regular person, they’re cool I’m glad I met them. I wish I could make them feel the same.

• mahrimba@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I had some friends call me their best friend, but I never really felt the same. I love my friends, but I always felt I couldn’t be 100% me around them. Until I met this guy, and we instantly clicked. Today, I can say that he’s my best friend, because I feel like not only he understands me, but I feel safe and comfortable enough to actually be myself around him.

• pH3ra@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Known him for a long time and then we had mushrooms together and our souls spoke to each other. Now he lives literally in the opposite side of the world but we never felt apart even once.
    You hear me Bero? You’re my best mate man

• ᴇᴍᴘᴇʀᴏʀ 帝@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Know him since primary school and he doesn’t take much, so I do the talking for both of us, plus it means he hasn’t got around to telling me to bugger off and leave him alone.

• Fondots@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

It’s hard to pick who exactly is my best friend, there’s a couple strong contenders.

The first guy I’ve known him since Pre-K, he lived within walking distance of my house growing up, we forget to talk to each other for months, occasionally years at a time, then just pick up right where we left off every time.

Second option is my go-to stupid adventure partner. We can always hit each other up when we need a partner for whatever cockamamie idea we’ve gotten into our head.

There’s the guy I know will come over to help with any project I need an extra set of hands for or tools I don’t own.

There’s of course my wife. Words don’t really do her justice so I won’t even try.

Frontrunner is probably my dog though.

• 30p87@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago
    comment.c: In function ‘main’:
    comment.c:5:16: error: ‘best_friend’ undeclared (first use in this function)
        5 |         printf(best_friend.name);
          |                ^~~~~~~~~~~
    comment.c:5:16: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in

• SweetSitty@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I met my best friend when we were in our late 20s. We were assigned as roommates while teaching English in Thailand. I’m more introverted and she’s more extroverted, so our early friendship was her finding fun things to do and me tagging along. We have different outlooks at times, but similar values, which is good because we can help balance each other out.

As for what has made our friendship so strong, it’s largely because of rough times we’ve gone through together. We’ve been there for each other in good times, bad times, and really awful times. She is family. Fortunately, our daughters are also best friends now! And our husbands get along okay, too.

• Call me Lenny/Leni@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

They never judged my different mental range in a world where others couldn’t bear to tell me why they even deemed it wrongful. They are my biggest link to the moment.

• OceanSoap@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I met my best friend my sophomore year of high school. She was a freshman.

Back in the early 2000’s, it was before everyone had crazy colored hair, but it was recently allowed in school. My hair was super long, like down-to-my-knees long. I dyed it purple because I was obsessed with Trunks, a character from the anime DBZ. I’d also recently gotten into what was back then “punk” culture, and Hot Topic was legitimate punk wear and not Disney-fied. I was like a walking billboard for them, lol.

Anyway, freshmen tended to avoid me. I wasn’t mean or a bully or anything, I just looked different enough back then that rumors would spread.

So, I was pretty shocked when this skinny freshman approached me in between classes to ask me a question. She asked me out of nowhere why I decided to dye my hair purple. I was so excited to be asked, I thought I was cool as shit, so I smiled all big and said “it’s an anime thing!” Then continued on to my next class. Years later she said she stood there as I left thinking: “what the hell is anime??” LOL.

Anyway, turns out we took the same bus to school, and we lived in the same neighborhood. She would get on before me in the morning, and leave after I got off, so I never noticed her on there. But one night me and my mom were getting dinner at a local restaurant and she and her father were there at the same time. We waved to each other and she came over to ask me if we could hang out some time. I gave her my house phone number (no cell phone for me yet) and she did just that. We hung out at my house the first time and bonded over the fact that our parents were divorcing. We just never stopped hanging out. I considered her my best friend by the time I was a junior in high school.

I’m far more extroverted, than she is, more bold and decisive in general, and she’s told me plenty of times that she thought I was really brave over my ability to enter a party and immediately make friends and other seemingly easy social interactions. But the reality is, she’s the one who approached the scary girl with rumors floating around, not once but twice. We wouldn’t be friends if she hadn’t done that. She’s the one who’s brave.

We’ve been through a lot io shit over the years, but we always answer the phone and if it’s been a while it’s like we never left each others side. We’ve fought and then made up, both over petty shit and serious shit. We lived together for three years and are still friends, haha. We travel the world together. We’ve been to Ireland, France, Italy, Greece, Spain and Denmark together. We live on different sides of the US now, and fly out to meet each other overseas for an adventure. She’s the best. :)

• WeLoveCastingSpellz@lemmy.fmhy.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Officially one guy that I know since goddamn kindergarten. We used to be kinda introverted through primary and modle school but we had each other. Now I have a very close group of friends that he is a part of and I would actually consider each member of the group my best friends