In the screenshot I’ve included, you can see that the number of comments for the post is 20+. However, I only see 2 comments when I look at the post.

Is this just a byproduct of federation? I don’t think I’ve blocked any instances yet, but is it possible the comments are from instances blocked my lemmy.world? Also, I use Memmy on iOS; could that be the cause?

Appreciate any insight!

• fatcat
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Check your language settings. If you changed them you are not able to see all posts.

• Raging LibTarg@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Just checked, I left the setting as “Undetermined” as it warns that changing the language will make certain content unavailable.

• GeekFTW@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Change it to English lol. I forget where it was said, but a month or so ago I remember someone saying there had been an issue where if you leave it as Undetermined, it won’t show you most English content.

• Nix@merv.news
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

This should be removed. We should encourage people from any country/language being able to communicate with eachother and make inline translations easy to setup vs hiding comments

• Sethayy@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Remove an option? Its by definition optional, and inline translation services are pretty bad usually so a lot of users might not want to use them

• Nix@merv.news
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Its actively causing bad user experiences because it’s confusing and also hard to know that it’s causing the issue

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Just did this and your comment appeared in my notifications only after doing so! Looks like I’m good now. 😎

• PP_GIRL_@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Same issue with Sync. I’ve always just though it was users who I’ve blocked/blocked me since the fediverse is so small

• shootwhatsmyname@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

On top of language settings, you can also check if bot accounts are being shown or hidden, because it will hide bot comments and any child comments beneath bot comments too

• Atemu@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Have you blocked anyone?

Did you turn off bots in your account settings?

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Hmmm. I have blocked two users and two NSFW communities. Hard to imagine that low amount of blocking could be the cause for only seeing 2 out of 20 comments on a given post, but maybe?

• PaupersSerenade@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I have the same issue with Memmy, but also Voyager (IOS). I had also read a week or so ago a comment insinuating it was a federation issue with Lemmy.world commemts. I noticed the one comment saying they could see em was a .world account.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I followed a suggestion from another commenter here and added English to my language settings a long with “Undetermined”. That fixed it!

• Cabeza2000@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Using your link I see that I have the problem. I see all 22 comments on that post if I open your lemmy.ca link on browser but if I open it on Sync I am missing like 5 posts.

Now I need to figure out how to fix this…