• Hank@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Did you know that 12% of the American population commits 50% of all beef eatings?

Sorry but those numbers line up too well not to make this joke.

• Semi-Hemi-Demigod@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Those below the age of 29 and above the age of 66 were least likely to eat large amounts of beef. Rose said this indicated that the younger generation might be more interested in mitigating the effects of climate change.

I think the reason is probably that beef is more expensive and they can’t afford it.

Also, the number of people who eat beef in mixed dishes shows there’s probably a huge market for Impossible Burgers. Mixing it into spicy things will disguise the flavor, though Impossible is barely distinguishable from real beef.

I actually prefer cooking with Impossible meat instead of ground beef because the texture is more consistent and it makes a beautiful fond.

• laloOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Where did you get that they polled people for what they had for dinner? Literally from the abstract:

We analyzed 24-h dietary recall data from adults (n = 10,248) in the 2015–2018 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES).

Also, they examined data from another day and:

Still, as a check, we examined day 2 and found the same associations with gender and MyPlate guidance. Other associations were similar in magnitude, though not always significant.

Edit: looks like you’ve commented this on another thread and got debunked, didn’t even bother to reply. https://sh.itjust.works/comment/2819437

• synae[he/him]@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I’m by no means vegan (hi from All) but one thing I’ve managed to change in my diet is to eat less beef. It used to be my default, now I probably have it at most once a week. Glad to not be counted amongst the 12% in this case

• synae[he/him]@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Probably lack of willpower and commitment.

I’ve internalized the idea that meat doesn’t have to be the “star” of a meal and I’m trying to follow the spirit of “if you don’t eat meat one day a week that’s 14% less meat overall”.

(yes this mainly addresses vegetarianism and not veganism, sorry about that)

FWIW, my favorite breakfast burritos in my neighborhood are vegan so I got that going for me ;)

• jerkface@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

Watch Dominion. If you can’t or won’t, you can conclude you are depending on your denial to keep your shit together. That’s not a good place to be.

Once you make an emotional connection with the facts that you already know but won’t allow yourself to process, it doesn’t take any “willpower” or “commitment” not to harm intelligent creatures. How much willpower does it take you not to own slaves, not to run over people in the street? Is there a chance your commitment to not stealing and selling children is going to waver?

• Coolkidbozzy [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

“We focused on beef because of its impact on the environment, and because it’s high in saturated fat, which is not good for your health,” said the study’s corresponding and senior author

that’s not true it’s because Americans only understand things if you put it in the context of burgers/day