• Metal Zealot@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

At the self checkout (cuz they cut their cashier staff) : "Would you like to donate a dollar to Children’s Stollary Hospital?

THE BALLS ON THESE MOTHERFUCKERS

• Alto@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Anytime you’re asked that, it should be read as “would you like to donate to our tax break”.

Just say no to all of them and donate to the causes you want to support yourself.

• Thrawne@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

When asked this question by a cashier, i will ask them if the company matches donations. They reply has usually been no, when it simply wasnt just IDK.

• Halafax@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Then I am curious, how does it work? I don’t think many people are going to claim thirty cents leftover from coffee on their taxes, but walmart is certainly happy to get the benefit if it can.

• zurohki@aussie.zone
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Walmart gets to advertise about how Walmart raised a million dollars for children’s hospitals, which sounds a lot like Walmart donated money to children’s hospitals.

The actual donation really does go to the charity and Walmart doesn’t get to claim it on taxes. The dodginess is in the marketing, improving their reputation at your expense. Walmart takes the credit for customer donations.

• ares35@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

the legitimate promotions of this sort; and walmart, as big and as greedy as they are, are still most certainly doing this on the ‘up and up’, the donations are tracked separately and separate from the revenue stream. it just gets passed-through to the charity. no tax deduction shenanigans involved. walmart already has other ‘legal’ loopholes and accounting tricks to use to lower their tax burden, they don’t have to do something blatantly obvious and easy to track that isn’t nearly as ‘effective’ at it.

• letsalllovelain
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              10 months ago

Regardless of the truth of this - I do not want to participate in the image laundering that the megacorp is then able to do because of the donation of the impoverished masses.

• Alto@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

It may not be the case in this specific case, but there have been plenty of corporations getting caught doing exactly this.

I’m not rolling that dice. I’ll donate directly thank you very much

• Takumidesh@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Walmart can not claim your donations as a charitable donation on your behalf.

Regardless if a person does or doesn’t claim the charitable donation, Walmart never is able to anyway.

There may be other shady aspects about an organization you are donating to and Walmart may be able to make claims on their costs associated with facilitating the donation (for example the costs to set up and maintain the transaction process) but they never ever ever are able to claim your donation, doing so would simply be fraud and there are better ways to cook books than claiming 10 million individual charitable donations on behalf of 10 million people.

• Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Insane inflation caused mostly by the profiteering of companies like Walmart causing people to starve and Walmart to profit like never before and even increase their market share!

Do Walmart do the only humane and honorable thing and share their windfall with the people who made it possible and who need it more than ever? FUCK NO! They steal wages from the already desperately poor and add them to their fucking useless treasure hoard! 🤬

• rayyyy@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Well a rich person always needs “a little more” that they can squeeze out of poor people.

• asteriskeverything@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

You know what, I was going to write a real time consuming response but I am glad I thought to skim your profile first. You seem okay and all but you pretty clearly have a very strong disagreement with everything covid related, by that I mean the only time you seem to get at all heated, stubborn, outspoken etc is when the subject has to do with government handling of covid. So just, what’s the point? We are on different planets.

• asteriskeverything@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

Sure. Like I said you seem like a reasonable person.

But covid lockdowns is clearly a subject you don’t have reasonable conversations about. So you know, enjoy the rest of your weekend.

• Adalast@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

So, I don’t know if you all knew this or not, but WalMart has everything inside to start a proper medieval riot. Pitchforks, sticks, cloth, I’m even pretty sure they have something we can use as pitch in the camping section. Or we can modernize. They have glass bottles, lighter fluid, rags, and lighters. And the best part is if you use it all inside the store you don’t even have to pay for it.

• UnverifiedAPK@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Walmart to offer new hires $14 instead of $15.

FTFY, they’re not docking the pay of existing employees.