link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

When I completely replaced my PC, I intended to use my old PC as a media box. But in reality, I’ve basically used my Chromecast for everything. One of these days I’ll probably want to watch something that isn’t on one of my streaming sites, but I’ve been surprisingly resistant to that so far.

Chromecast is the ideal smart device so far, for me. No ads or anything. I use my phone as a remote and basically every video app supports it easily. Open app, press cast, select what I want to play. Exactly what a smart TV should have been like.

• blipcast@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

What type of Chromecast do you use? I recently bought a Chromecast Ultra for a new TV after being happy with a secondhand one for years (3rd gen, I think). The difference in UI was such a disappointing step down. I don’t want a home screen with apps and ads, I just want something I can stream to from my phone! And I can’t say for certain, but it also feels like I get more ads on YouTube compared to using the older Chromecast.

• ArdMacha@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

No you bought a Chromecast with Google TV. A Chromecast ultra is just a 4k version of the original. I used my CCwGTV for 8 months then sold it and got a CC ultra instead. I hate the promoted content from networks and apps I would never use.

• blipcast@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

Aha, thank you for clarifying. It’s easy to overlook the difference between “Chromecast” and “Chromecast with Google TV”. Unfortunately, it looks like if you want 4k you are stuck with the Google TV interface. :/ [Edit: I was wrong, see below]

• credit crazy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

How are you crome casting I suppose it doesn’t help that I only ever Chromecast when I’m at my parents and want to show them a yt video but I’ve found that sometimes my phone is able to make the connection and other days the option is either gone or my phone became blind

• blipcast@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Casting is dependent on sharing a network, so maybe on the days it didn’t work you were using the cell data network instead of your parent’s wifi?

• rothaine@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

My only beef with Chromecast is I feel like they are designed to die after 2 years. I’ve gone through three now; it always seems like right around the 2-year mark, it starts having issues staying connected to the network. But I keep buying them because, like you said, it’s basically the ideal smart device.

• Fermion@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Did you try getting the chrome cast ultra that has the ethernet port on the power adapter? I’ve had a lot less trouble with connectivity on that one vs the original wireless only.

Every 4 months or so it will lock up and require a power cycle. So I do still have some of the problems you describe.

• rothaine@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I did not even know that was a thing. Maybe I’ll get it when my current one shits the bed in 8 months or so.

I wouldn’t be able to use the Ethernet though since the router is upstairs.

• SokathHisEyesOpen@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

They are designed to die, almost everything is now a days. Why build a robust system that lasts forever when you can build a cheaper system that breaks every couple of years and charge as much as you would for the robust system? It’s not like consumers can choose an alternative that doesn’t use the obsolescence model.

• ArdMacha@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I’ve had a couple that died after a year but still have some gen2 and gen3s running fine.

• ArdMacha@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

You are better off sticking with the Chromecast and setting up the old pc as a Jellyfin/Plex/Emby server with a playback app on the Chromecast. You can even run a pi-hole on it too.