• PKMKII [none/use name]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Yeah I think the problem with this tweet isn’t the critique of liberal notions of authoritarianism, it’s that it leads to this paradoxical state of “Someone criticizing fascism for being authoritarianism is actually themselves a fascist.” Rhetorically, it looks too similar to “anti-fascism is the real fascism.”

• DoiDoi [comrade/them, he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

“Authoritarianism” doesn’t mean anything in the vast majority of cases in which it is invoked. Every political discussion would be improved if we could just completely eliminate this framework and force the discussion to be on more meaningful terms. It’s at the level of “woke” or “tankie” in the sense that it mostly just means “something the speaker doesn’t like” with absolutely zero additional analysis.

• Call Me Mañana@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    26 days ago

When it is known that the greatest propagator of the concept of “totalitarianism” (that’s is the real thing here), Hanna Arendt, rejected any process led by the oppressed, such as the wars of independence in Africa, but on the other hand praised processes led by economic elites, such as the American War of Independence, at least it is clear that this concept is not anti-fascist. When you have a concept that places absolutely different processes like the French Revolution and Fascism as equally comparable, the concept is shit.

For more, Towards a Critique of the Category of Totalitarianism by Domenico Losurdo and On Authority by Engels

CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

• Othello [comrade/them, love/loves]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Hanna Arendt, rejected any process led by the oppressed, such as the wars of independence in Africa,

ok ok i couldnt find what she said about that specifically but i found this???

" Chapter 7 (“Race and Bureaucracy”) in Origins, where Arendt took up this topic directly, she wrote that the eighteenth-century European “enthusiasm for the diversity in which the all-present identical nature of man and reason could find expression” met a stern test when it was “faced with tribes which, as far as we know, never had found by themselves any adequate expression of human reason or human passion in either cultural deeds or popular customs, and which had developed human institutions only to a very low level.”

omg! mind boggling had to share! this was from a summery of Politics in Dark Times Encounters with Hannah Arendt

• Awoo [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

This is true but not in a way libs will understand. The anti-authoritarians are defenders of the status quo who simply label anything that seeks to change the status quo “authoritarian”. They are not to be confused with anarchists, who are not anti-authoritarian and are absolutely willing to wield authority for their goals.

It’s very important to differentiate anarchists from the anti-authoritarians, a lot of people have gotten the mistaken idea that it is the same thing when it absolutely is not.

• Maoo [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I’ve never met an alleged anti-authoritarian that actually resisted the authorities in their own country, let alone had a plan to defeat them. Seems like a LARP to me.