link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Meanwhile in Africa:

“Eat your vegetables! You know those fat, disgusting Americans just throw them away and eat pie! Do you want diabetes?”

• Swedneck
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

the real “meanwhile in africa” is that they actually cook veggies and fruit in a way that’s appealing, they don’t just fucking steam some broccoli and expect kids to enjoy it.

• AllonzeeLV@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

A big part is that the processed foods of America make us have drug like cravings for things we consume too much of, salt, fat, sugar, etc. Get em hooked, it’s good for profit.

And we’re dependant on them much of the time because of our subsist to work lifestyle.

It’s expensive for it to be easy to eat well in America. While the owners order postmate’s cobb salads, have household staff, and eat out with abandon, in addition to being on their own time, eating healthy while poor involves dodging endless temptation to eat fastcrap instead while prepping and cooking and cleaning meal kits before and/or after work, lengthening the time off work devoted to work. Many tonedeaf say “it’s important so do it or you’re just irresponsible,” but when time is a commodity of survival for the poor, taking care of your health is often the first priority to be sold off.

And let’s be honest, with that highly prevalent, encouraged lifestyle in America, how hard are you going to want to maximize your longevity to keep doing it? We’re livestock for wealthy sociopaths and our reward for the daily profit maze is ubiquitous delicious poison. What a great fucking place.

• MarmaladeMermaid@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Well steaming is certainly a step up from boiling it for a full hour like their parents did, for “safety.”

• Swedneck
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

to me it’s just raw veggies but without the satisfying textures, and a tendency to smell like farts if it’s in the brassica family. Exceptions being potato and any type of bean/pea.

Now if you steam/boil veggies and then fry them, that’s almost always a huge improvement over raw. I’m a slut for the maillard reaction.

• spacesweedkid27 @lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

I’m a slut for the maillard reaction

This is definitely something I will quote in my day-to-day life from now on.

I kinda don’t think that brassica veggies boiled smell like farts, but I think that vegetal does have a tendency for that if the quality just sucks.

• money_loo@1337lemmy.com
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

And maybe you’re like me and a super taster, so some of these things have more bitter flavors than other people can detect.

Lots of people thought kids were just picky, but that actually meant they could taste things you couldn’t!

• Swedneck
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

Something like that, many foods are way too bitter for me and i have yet to find a cup of coffee that doesn’t make me stare at people who drink it in abject horror because it tastes like poison.

• Swedneck
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

i wouldn’t know, i find broccoli in general to be firmly “meh”, it’s just one of the more common examples of a vegetable that people serve in the worst way imaginable and expect their kids to eat anyways.

• XEAL@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

I either need to eat my veggies pan-fried with bacon or ham, or in a puree with seasoning and olive oil.

Almost no plain steamed or boiled food is tasty…

• NewPerspective@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

“In the name of starving children you’ll never meet, you need to force feed yourself with foods you don’t like.”

• 1984@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Oh yeah, I remember this actually… It was even said in a serious way by my parents in the 80s. :)

• money_loo@1337lemmy.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Also, vegetables for the most part have continued to improve in flavor as time goes on. Selective breeding and stuff like that.

• radix@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

This, and skillfully cooked vegetables become more accessible with the Internet’s recipes/advice and take-out food.