Hi! I’m new to home assistant and I’m wondering what would be worth the cost. A lot of the “smart” appliances seem overly expensive and automating them would only save me a handful of minutes each day. I live in canada where power is cheap, so things that save power aren’t particulary useful. A way to open/close the windows and doors sounds useful and would save me the most time, but costs thousands. A way to keep track of what is in the fridge and propose recipes to avoid food waste would be nice but I’m not entirely sure how I would setup such a system.

Does anyone have ideas of worthwhile things I could setup that would be worth the cost?

• Charlie Fish@eventfrontier.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Personally, that isn’t how I think about a smart home system. There isn’t a need to do major changes until maybe you need to get it replaced anyways. Starting with things like lights, a few shades, door sensors, are good ways to start. The biggest question is what do you want to get out of it?

• usrix@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think highest/easiest ROI would be devices that alert or avoid bad events.

• freezer/fridge temp monitors to avoid food going bad (circuit failure, door cracked open, part failure)
    • water leak detectors (water heater, bathroom, sink)
    • open door alarms ( garage door left open overnight, fence door left open that lets dog out)
    • doorbell camera/microphone (unwanted visitors)
  • a4ng3l@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I haven’t yet put it into numbers and anyway compared to the expenses to get there will be depressing but measuring temperatures to take decisions on how to manage heat allowed us to reduce the house temp from 29 Celsius to 21 over a week of tweaking. This week we’re getting the cooling system installed and I believe that with this knowledge the running cost will be much lower. In a part of the house I already automated the curtains which led also to a decrease of temps - I could cut air condition altogether there. So definitely a confort gain at least. Now money-wise it’s anyway a cost case with the automation relying on new solar panels, heat pump, new electrical cabling… so if you exclude our perception of additional confort it’s definitely not seeing a positive ROI before I’m dead of old age. But no regrets anyway.

• unknowing8343
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago
    • I am sure you have at least a couple of instances in a week where you go “damn, I forgot to switch the lights”.
    • You are tired on your sofa and wanna watch a movie but the lights are too bright.
    • You want to simulate someone is home so you don’t get robbed.
    • meeting mode: warning them with a red bulb in the living room, and lowering the TVs volume all in just a click, while ensuring that your robot vacuum stops cleaning and resumes later.
    • get a warning that your room’s humidity level is high, and directly offering a button for launching AC.

All those things I have not done, yet. I don’t even have the Zigbee dongle. But surely through the following months and years I will find little things that I could do that sum up to a lot of comfort and saving time.

Also, relay switches and sensors are so cheap it can simply be a fun hobby.

• GreatAlbatross@feddit.ukM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Doing temperature monitoring in each room of the house. It really lets you work out where you’re losing heat, or failing to cool in the summer, and keep things more comfortable.

• Windex007@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I bought a 5 pack of xiaomi temp sensors from Ali express… They were like $5 each? They’re Bluetooth but you can bridge to HA using an esp32 with esphome. Really cheap way to get some resolution on how and where and when the house is heating/cooling.

I was surprised at how poorly I understood how to manage the temp of my home. Knowing really is half the battle.

• deleted@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

You can buy the sensors of aliexpress and link them with esp8266 via esphome (a home assistant addon) if you’re into it.

It’s fairly easy if you’re a tech savvy and will cost you next to nothing like 3 dollars each node which can have multiple sensors (temp / humidity / light / relay / etc).

It’s better to make dumb devices smart yourself to avoid being locked out. I literally cannot change the water level in my vacuum mopper if the server in china is down.

• bp99@lemmy.bp99.eu
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The only smart appliances I have ATM are smart light bulbs. These also partially contribute to saving energy (eg turn off lights when nobody is home / in the room), but even if that is not your priority, you can set up nice automations to soften the light as it becomes darker. I also use HA with Rhasspy to voice-control the lights.

As for fridge contents tracking, I wish there was a usable solution to what you describe. I have tried Grocy (can be integrated with HA), which looked nice, but I eventually stopped as it took a really long time to maintain. After each shopping, I had to input everything I bought (almost an hour usually). Then, each time you use something (eat a bun with some cheese, finish a bottle of milk, open a new sachet of some seasoning, etc), you must ‘consume’ it in Grocy. 99% of the time I forgot or was too lazy (once again, it just takes too much effort) and therefore the stock database was always out of date, making the whole thing useless.

Other things: I haven’t tried yet, but I also want to acquire some cheap sensors for temperature, and perhaps other things that I can’t think of right now. Maybe turn on the AC for a bit when it gets too warm (and somebody is in the room)?

• andrew@lemmy.stuart.fun
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The first one I always do is replace the light switches I have to turn off for bedtime every night, and a simple button or something near bed to trigger on/off. Or just timers if your schedule is super consistent (usually isn’t in my experience, though you might think it is; buttons give you much more mileage without the annoyance of having to turn lights back on when you stayed up a bit late playing a game etc).

It’s not a major time save but it’s just nice when you’re cozy and ready for bed to just tap a button and roll over versus getting up to turn off all the lights and start the fan etc.

• Schmu@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m also in Canada and have noticed that the power savings from an ROI perspective is minimal. That said I think it’s still beneficial. Just simple things like lights turning off when you leave. Furnace/heat/ac changing to an “away” mode. Heat/ac getting disabled if window/door open for extended periods of time. Most of my devices and automations are either about convenience (lights dimming when playing a movie, lights automatically coming on at 1% for nightlight, sprinkler schedules) or collecting data. Collecting data did lead to an energy savings as I saw how much the garage baseboard heater was actually running in the winter and so I kept the temp lower.